Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A4

Options
  • 27-02-2008 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

i recently bought an a4 (2003) from a 2nd hand dealer, after a couple of days i noticed the needle was spiking between 1000 and 2000 revs and the car felt as if it was lurching slightly. ive since brought it back and its being repaired. that was over two weeks ago and i have no idea what they are doing to the car, every time i call i get a different answer. today they said they were reconditioning the gearbox and that will take longer than two weeks. in the meantime, they've given me an 2001 a3, this car is revving by itself while in neutral. at this stage, i dont know what to believe, should i look for my money back ? as i am clueless when it comes to cars any advice would be welcome!smile.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bugle

where abouts did u buy this car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

mitzy666 wrote: »
    in the meantime, they've given me an 2001 a3, this car is revving by itself while in neutral. at this stage, i dont know what to believe, should i look for my money back ? as i am clueless when it comes to cars any advice would be welcome!smile.gif

I used to drive an A3. This is a flaw in the A3, so I was told anyway. Something to do with a fuel valve if I remember correctly. Mine needed replacing every 6 months, but I used to just live with it until it got really bad (i.e until it sounds like you're revving your car for a race at the lights :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mitzy666

i bought it from a 2nd hand car dealer in d24

Gegerty wrote: »
    I used to drive an A3. This is a flaw in the A3, so I was told anyway. Something to do with a fuel valve if I remember correctly. Mine needed replacing every 6 months, but I used to just live with it until it got really bad (i.e until it sounds like you're revving your car for a race at the lights :))

its not the a3 thats the problem is the a4, no1s mentioned anything about the fuel valve. the problem is i havent been told exactly what the problem is or how long it will take to fix

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bugle

thanks man, i just needed to know cus im viewing one this evening, a 02 1.9 TDI.

about your problem: sorry i never heard of this problem but ill be watching this thread closely.best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

The throttle control body may need to be cleaned. This seems to be a common cause for random idling with a number of German cars from this era.

Another possible problem could be the MAF sensor may need to be cleaned or replaced. Not sure what this is but a poster on the link below had the same problem on the older A4

http://www.audi-forums.com/b5-forum/46415-maf-sensor-replacing-audi-a4-1995-a.html

mitzy666 wrote: »
    its not the a3 thats the problem is the a4, no1s mentioned anything about the fuel valve. the problem is i havent been told exactly what the problem is or how long it will take to fix

OK thought you were somehow making a connection (don't see why you mentioned it now but never mind). Can't help you on the A4 problem. Mother has owned a 2002 A4 from new and not one problem with it in all this time. But what I can say is that I have found poor customer service comes hand in hand with owning an Audi (unless you are using a non VAG garage). My advice is walk in there and kick up a storm, maybe even demand to see the car and have a look to see if they really are doing what they say they're doing.

GB15 wrote: »
    The throttle control body may need to be cleaned. This seems to be a common cause for random idling with a number of German cars from this era.

Another possible problem could be the MAF sensor may need to be cleaned or replaced. Not sure what this is but a poster on the link below had the same problem on the older A4

http://www.audi-forums.com/b5-forum/46415-maf-sensor-replacing-audi-a4-1995-a.html

Ah spot on, thats the problem I was talking about (confused throttle body and fuel valve :confused:).

forget to mention the car is automatic, not sure if that makes a difference or not, think i might go down and kick up a storm though, coz no1s actually telling me whats wrong with it

tks

Advertisement