Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Isuzu Trooper

Options
  • 27-02-2008 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I have been debating buying a new commercial 4 wheel drive and am considering an Isuzu trooper on good advice from within the trade yet everyone outside the trade has nothing but horror stories. They are priced well ,are they that bad? what are my alternatives?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭quattro777

My father has been driving them since 1996
    First one bought new 1996 sold in 1999 with 120k, no problems whatsoever.
    Second one bought new in 1999 sold in 2005 with 240k. Only problems were a wheel bearing at 60k, turbo at 200k and the ECU was replaced under warranty.
    Third one bought new in 2005, 100k so far. Only problem a wheel bearing at 60k. 90% of the time it was pulling a trailer with at least 3 tonne. The early ones were troublesome and they are a bit thirsty but if youre looking for a workhorse you wont find better for the money. If they were still being made he would buy another tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,246 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Apparently the 3.1 litre TD is supposed to be troublesome. The older 3.0 litre TD is supposed to be more robust though.

BTW are they still selling them new, they haven't changed that much since around 1993.

Alternatives: Nissan Patrol or Mitsubishi Pajero Sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭quattro777

Not on sale any more. It was the 3.1TD that was supposedly troublesome 1993-1998. The 3.0TD was introduced in 1999 and won engine of the year afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,457 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

eh no. the 3.1 was the good one.

the 3.0 that replaced it was the troublesome one.

Troopers are so cheap that they can be good value even if you have to replace the odd engine every so often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭quickstitch.ie

I had been warned away from then a couple of years ago by a few people, all citing problems with the turbos... anyone else hear of this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

they were a great robust jeep untill about 1998 , since then they have been regarded by most as the worst jeep money can buy

as a result you can pick up a 2003 model for as little as 10k

• Registered Users Posts: 34 magicjj5

I have heard they suffer with bad injectors, bad turbos and the 3.0 Double camshaft had an error in its design and should have been recalled as a result some blew up. Has anyone suffered these faults? and are engines available for them if they do blow up?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 magicjj5

I have just bought an 02 exec 3.0 turbo and it is a great yoke. I bought it with a full Harris Isuzu service record which includes a new turbo and new engine at 80K!!! it seems the original injectors leak diesel into the oil sump which somehow corrodes the piston rings and then allows to engine to rev itself to death on its own oil...and in answer to the 3.0 and the 3.1 debate the 3.1 is the older version and is very similar to the original 2.8 where as the 3.0 was a brand new common rail system and is indeed the problematic culprit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Puncell

bazz26 wrote: »
    Apparently the 3.1 litre TD is supposed to be troublesome. The older 3.0 litre TD is supposed to be more robust though.

BTW are they still selling them new, they haven't changed that much since around 1993.

Alternatives: Nissan Patrol or Mitsubishi Pajero Sport.

the 3.1 diesel was the best model built from 92-98 - the 3.0 was a total diseaster.....from turbos to head gaskets!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

please do not resurrect old threads, thank you

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement