Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, whats your secret??

Options
  • 27-02-2008 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭

I work in a predominantly female environment, and every day I pick up a new tip, or a little beauty secret from one of the girls.
    Now these secrets can quite often be fairly straight forward, but now and they they can venture into the 'kinda strange' variety.
    One girl rubs lemon juice into her face, primrose oil into her hair and a baking soda and water paste into her boobs :eek::eek:

I suppose my own little beauty secrets would be fairly straight forward. Some people advice against it, but I always wash my face (after I have cleansed properly) with ice cold water. Then I leave it a few minutes before applying Estee Lauder Idealist (My all time FAVOURITE moisturiser!). I use Elizabeth Arden Intervene eye cream, and every now and then, if I can get a freebie in work, I'll use a Dior eye mask.
    I generally try to make sure I give my skin a day or two a week with no make up.

So, have you lot got any secrets you'd like to share?

Comments

What pray tell do the lemon, oil and soda do?

I don't use anything. No cleansers, no toners, no moisturisers. I seldom use make up. My skin is better than most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭thedizzler

For when the skin needs a serious seeing to, I try this old wive's tale face mask that works wonders for me. Mix 2 tablespoons of baking powder with 2 teaspoons of honey and 2 teaspoons of milk and just enough water to make it into a pasty consistency. Smear it on, wash off with lukewarm water. It stings, but believe me, it's worth it.
    (*possibly too astringent for sensitive skin)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Mrs_Doyle wrote: »
    a baking soda and water paste into her boobs

for what..? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

sar84 wrote: »
    for what..? :confused:
    According to this - sweaty boobs :eek:
    http://www.amitymama.com/vb/archive/t-338987.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

Once a week in the gym I get in the steam room. I put on a pair of those exfoliating shower mits (better than ANY exfoliation product), I have a bottle of Sanctuary body oil and I put a large amount in my hands. I massage my whole face (every bit but particularly corners of my nose, edge of lips ,forehead, cheeks etc), if I have the energy (remember how hot and tired you get in the steam room!) I'll do other parts of my body like thighs elbows, arms etc).
    Even though I only do this once a week it is deadly for my skin. I literally glow for 2 days and my skin looks radiant (most of the time my skin is dull). The combination of the hot steam and the exfoliating is brill!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

tk123 wrote: »
    According to this - sweaty boobs :eek:
    http://www.amitymama.com/vb/archive/t-338987.html

weird.. never heard of anyone having that problem before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Moonbaby wrote: »

I don't use anything. No cleansers, no toners, no moisturisers. I seldom use make up. My skin is better than most.

Aww!! Count yourself VERY lucky!!

I spend a fortune on prescriptive paramedical products to try keep my acne under control!!

I don't think I have any secrets really...

Aww!! Count yourself VERY lucky!!

I spend a fortune on prescriptive paramedical products to try keep my acne under control!!

I don't think I have any secrets really...

I know I'm blessed with my skin, but my cross to bear is a cone body shape! Thats the shape that 30% of men have and the rest aspire to! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

icy/cold water on your hair for an extra shine/softness during/after a shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Lorna7

I have a couple:

Avocado face mask
    Lemon juice to lighten hair
    Olive oil for healthy nails
    Talcum powder to treat greasy roots (in emergency situations ie. when you're sitting in a tent in Oxygen)
    Egg white for stronger hair

Dont know if these are really "secrets" as such but they're certainly handy for a student budget;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Stir a tablespoon of honey and a teaspoon of oilve oil into two tablespoons of your usual conditioner. Use as a hair mask - apply and leave for half an hour in a warm towel - to make hair soft and shiny.

Other than that - and this really isn't a personal beauty secret - but Ecover have a laundry stain remover called, imaginatively, Ecover Stain Remover. It comes in a 200ml white bottle with a pink cap. When you take the cap off, there is a plastic application brush at the top of the bottle.

If you see it, buy it. Buy two of it. Buy four and give two to a friend.

You know when you get your period, and if you don't catch it in time it spots your favourite knickers? Or even not favourite knickers, but blood stains don't wash easily. This is IMO the single best product on the market for getting those stains out. No cold soaking, no washing three times, no more wearing your worst granny knickers on the day you're due. Apply to the stain, work in with the plastic brush, dump knickers in the wash with the rest of your stuff, they come out perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

icy/cold water on your hair for an extra shine/softness during/after a shower.

in my experience i find this Crap. it does nothing for my hair at all even though ive heard it LOADS!! (Sorry...a bit off topic there. i dont really have any beaty secrets)

Has anyone ever succeeded in clearing the pores around your nose?? god i'd love someone to come along with a big Sticky strip and just pull them all out. imagine how clean it'd feel!!

Niamho! wrote: »
    Has anyone ever succeeded in clearing the pores around your nose?? god i'd love someone to come along with a big Sticky strip and just pull them all out. imagine how clean it'd feel!!

I have open pores around my nose, they do get get clogged easily, but even when they are clean your going to be able to see them.

I tend to remove the gunk by hand after the sauna.

I've heard of people trying microderm abrasion.....have no idea if it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

None of these products that companies make you feel like you need.

A good diet and a bit of exercise does wonders for my skin. I find that after I've been sweating (and then had a shower) my skin feels really fresh! Washes out all those impurities.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Daily stretching and strenuous workouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Hmm... actually 2 things I heard for hair were from my Aromatherapy Tutor

She said for brunette hair to put a few drops of Rosemary Essential oil into a jug of water and use as final rinse to bring up the shine and for Blonde hair to use Chamomile and do the same

I may try the face mask recipies people have given, my skin needs all the love it can get right now :( Acne's acting up big time and next week is period week so it'll get worse!! Arrghhh!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Fwaggle

Weidii wrote: »
    A good diet and a bit of exercise does wonders for my skin. I find that after I've been sweating (and then had a shower) my skin feels really fresh! Washes out all those impurities.

Yeah, same here. I don't have any real secrets because I don't own any make up or fancy moisturisers or anything like that. I've never worn make up in my life. I don't like the thought of it to be honest! Plus i'm lazy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ThatGal

to get rid of spots i burst them and before they heal over spray perfume on them......it stings a bit but the alcohol burns away the spot and it's gone in like a day......a bit drastic but it works for me!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Sleep... lots and lots of sleep. 8+ per night if possible. (I'm a sleepy person!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭SW81

ThatGal wrote: »
    to get rid of spots i burst them and before they heal over spray perfume on them......it stings a bit but the alcohol burns away the spot and it's gone in like a day......a bit drastic but it works for me!!!

God of all the things I've heard of for spots I've never heard that! Any perfume in particular? :p

• Advertisement

SW81 wrote: »
    God of all the things I've heard of for spots I've never heard that! Any perfume in particular? :p

well actually i used to use a specific bottle of cheep perfume but any perfume with alcohol in it does the trick........it's just the alcohol you need so vodka could work too....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Niamho! wrote: »

Any of those Clear Pore Strips do the trick..I used to actually have to squeeze them clean (disgusting, I know) and have even resorted to sellotape but I found these and they do the trick lovely. The Witch ones are great, you should try them and see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭litup

misslt wrote: »
    Any of those Clear Pore Strips do the trick..I used to actually have to squeeze them clean (disgusting, I know) and have even resorted to sellotape but I found these and they do the trick lovely. The Witch ones are great, you should try them and see how you get on.

I find those strips useless. They are pretty expensive and do nothing at all for me.

I got a present of a little hand held suction thingy that sucks all the gunk out, its brilliant!

did the sellotape work missit?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Papillon87

litup wrote: »
    I find those strips useless. They are pretty expensive and do nothing at all for me.

I got a present of a little hand held suction thingy that sucks all the gunk out, its brilliant!

OOOH...who makes it do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

ThatGal wrote: »
    did the sellotape work missit?!!

Nah. These strips are great though!

Where did you get the suctiony thingy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Other than that - and this really isn't a personal beauty secret - but Ecover have a laundry stain remover called, imaginatively, Ecover Stain Remover.

Does this stuff bleach the fabric at all? I'm in my worst granny knickers as we speak :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

'One Minute Manicure' - its a hand scrub which is fantastic for (as it says on the tin) manicures.

Disinfectant hand cream to stop your feet getting smelly in plastic shoes.... Baking soda on tootpaste to help your teeth stay white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

I always shower with really hot water for the first 15mins to open my pores and then change the temp to freezing for the last 10 to close them. Plus the sudden change in temperature is great for boosting your metabolism :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

I always shower with really hot water for the first 15mins to open my pores and then change the temp to freezing for the last 10 to close them. Plus the sudden change in temperature is great for boosting your metabolism :)

25 minute shower - really?

Advertisement