Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Size

Options
  • 27-02-2008 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭

guys, a question...
    The GF is looking at getting a men's Focus road bike. She is 5'2". Would a size 52 be OK?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

the joys of buying off the web.

I'd say 52 is too bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

I'd go and get her to sit on a bike of the same size to at least get an idea of whether or not she fits it. You could find the geometry of the brand of bike in the shop to that of the Focus, they have the specs of their frames on their site: http://www.focusbikesuk.com/focusroadbikes/road_bikes_cayo.php

Also rough guide to frame sizes:
    http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/resource/size_charts.htm#bike_sizing :

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Don't forget to think about stem length, not just frame size.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

5'2" is a little small- could you consider getting a taller girlfriend?

Alternatively, wiggle supply height charts with the Focus bikes that suggest

"XS/50 -under 5'5".

Luckily they also have a raft of discounted 2007 bikes left only in tiny sizes:

Focus Cayo 2007 - 48cm & 50cm
    Focus Cayo Triple 2007 - 50cm
    Focus Variado Expert 2007 - 50cm

I would imagine from this the 48 might be your best bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

thanks guys, we appreciate the help. We were hoping to keep the budget down at about 500 sterling, that said some of the other Focus bikes linked look rather appealing.
    5'2" is a little small- could you consider getting a taller girlfriend?

She'll love that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Far too big I reckon. My better half is 5'5 and rides a 51 (Giant OCR size S) which is too big for her. I am building her a bike based on a 48cm ribble frame now which looks perfect.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I'm 5' 9" and ride a 54" and have friends on 52" nearly my size, 52" is waaaaayyyy too big for her imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I am 5' and I cycle a Sz 44 Ladies Bike ... if that helps ... maybe a 48 would fit your GF.

All the best -

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭digitalage

heres a handy like from canyon,

http://www.canyon.com/_en/tools/pps.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Here's a Kona Lisa RD in 46cm to further confuse you. Down from £1,000 to £650. This is a women's specific bike. Kona road bikes seem expensive to me but maybe I am missing something.

I envy you to an extent; I have been trawling the sales myself and coming up with so so many 2007 bikes only left in the tiny sizes!

Advertisement