Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT exemption

Options
  • 27-02-2008 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

I left Ireland at the end of last march and travelled around for two months before settling in New Zealand in May where Ive been workin since.

My question is can I count those two months I was out of the country travelling as part of the 12 months required under the VRT exemption conditions? Has anyone else had experience of this? Id like to leave NZ sooner than planned and Id love to be able to take my twin turbo subaru b4 with me...

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

You need to have owned the car in NZ for 6 months only, and be able to prove that you lived there and worked there(bills, payslips etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭da7a

I have owned the car for almost 10 months now but the revenue also seem to require that you have lived outside the country for 12 months. What im wondering is if it matters that I didnt spend the entire 12 months in one country...

from revenue.ie:
    For VRT purposes you must have had your normal residence as defined below, outside the State at the time of transfer. In the case of a transfer from outside the EU, you must have had your normal residence outside the EU for a continuous period of at least 12 months prior to transfer.

Normal Residence means:

* the place where you usually lived, for at least 185 days in the year ending on the date of transfer, because of occupational and personal ties
    * if you had no occupational ties, the place where you usually lived for at least 185 days in the year ending on the date of transfer, because of personal ties
    * if your occupational ties were in a different country from your personal ties then the country of your personal ties is taken as your normal residence if you returned there regularly (i.e. for most of your non-working days).

Its those 12 months that Im trying to make up....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Enjoy 2 more months in NZ and come back after then lol.
    It is too windy here anyway and bloody cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭da7a

bump... anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It doesn't matter where you've been as long as you were out of the country for 12 months and have owned the car for 6 months. You need to be able to prove that you were living outside the state during that period. So yes you can count the two months as it's all about whether you lived in the state or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

It doesn't matter where you've been as long as you were out of the country for 12 months and have owned the car for 6 months. You need to be able to prove that you were living outside the state during that period. So yes you can count the two months as it's all about whether you lived in the state or not.

But if he was travelling around his permanent residence would still have been in Ireland, he would only have 10 months of rent/bills from NZ.

Advertisement