Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT question

Options
  • 27-02-2008 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

I haven't a clue about cars. Just failed my NCT and I'm not sure why. On the sheet it has:
    Tyre condition (36)... Description: Direction...Reason: Wrong...Location: Nearside Rear

Tyre Condition (36)... Description: Direction...Reason: Wrong...Location Offside Rear

Wheels (39)... Description: No Wheel Caps Removed... fail

Can someone explain to me what that means? Is it that the back 2 wheels have to be swapped? What about caps? Or does my tyres just need to be swapped?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Have you got directional (sport) tyres on the wrong way?
    Look for an arrow saying rotation on the tyre, if its the wrong way they fail you.

Last one is for not removing hubcaps so they can see the wheel nuts - didn't you read the booking letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

You have directional tyres fitted against the run of the thread. Swap them around and you'll be grand. Also remove the hubcaps. You'll be grand with a visual re-test by the sounds of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

stevec wrote: »
    Have you got directional (sport) tyres on the wrong way?
    Look for an arrow saying rotation on the tyre, if its the wrong way they fail you.

Last one is for not removing hubcaps so they can see the wheel nuts - didn't you read the booking letter?

Thanks..What are hubcaps? I have ally wheels? Where do you find the direction arrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

There is perhaps a wheel cap in the centre of the alloy that hides the wheel nuts...needs to be prised off removed with the proper tool, perhaps a screwdriver...
    Directional arrow should be on the wall of the tyre, usually near the brandname...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ateam wrote: »
    Thanks..What are hubcaps? I have ally wheels? Where do you find the direction arrow?

Have they centre caps covering the wheel nuts? Some cars have these and you need an allen type key to remove the centre cap to get at the wheel nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Direction arrow will be somewhere amongst all the writing on the side of the tyre.

There must be something covering the wheel nuts for them to fail you.
    What kind of car?
    Some alloys have plastic things over each wheel nut that look like nuts only bigger (GF's Pug 206 has these). you need to remove them.

Direction arrow will be somewhere amongst all the writing on the side of the tyre.

There must be something covering the wheel nuts for them to fail you.
    What kind of car?
    Some alloys have plastic things over each wheel nut that look like nuts only bigger (GF's Pug 206 has these). you need to remove them.

It's a seat Ibiza..Oh god, how would I take them off?

OK this is a guess, can't tell without actually seeing the car:
    If you swap the rear wheels from one side to the other this will fix your problem.
    If you manage to remove a wheel then the nuts will be visible as long as you don't put any covers back on.

On second thoughts, don't try that - best bet is go to a tyre place (e.g. Advance / Fast fit) and tell them your problem, also show them the NCT report. They will tell you for sure what needs to be done and will fix it for you. They shouldn't charge you more than €10 for swapping the wheels and making sure the wheel nuts are visible.

OK this is a guess, can't tell without actually seeing the car:
    If you swap the rear wheels from one side to the other this will fix your problem.
    If you manage to remove a wheel then the nuts will be visible as long as you don't put any covers back on.

On second thoughts, don't try that - best bet is go to a tyre place (e.g. Advance / Fast fit) and tell them your problem, also show them the NCT report. They will tell you for sure what needs to be done and will fix it for you. They shouldn't charge you more than €10 for swapping the wheels and making sure the wheel nuts are visible.

thanks..I think your right on both counts, I'll probably just go to a mechanic tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The question needs to be asked "Who fitted the tyres the wrong way around?".

The OP has said that he/she is not into cars and I'd have to assume that it was sloppy fitters at a tyre depot! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Or the guy servicing the car rotated them and didnt notice they were directional. What else wasn't noticed...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

DannyBuoy wrote: »
    Or the guy servicing the car rotated them and didnt notice they were directional. What else wasn't noticed...
    I didn't think of that Danny! ( but shouldn't he have rotated them diagonally if he assumed that they were 'normal' tyres?)

shouldn't he have rotated them diagonally
    Same thing would happen - though would have failed on front as well.

Advertisement