Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Santry to Stephen's Green

Options
  • 27-02-2008 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

Hi; does anyone know a bus route or way to Stephen's Green from Northwood in Santry? Moving to that area soon from Galway and i've no idea of commuting in Dublin yet. I believe the number 16 bus goes from Santry to Kevin St but apparently it goes a bit all over the place?

Also, how long of a commute is it from Santry in the morning? Should I be budgeting in an hour to get to the city centre? Crazy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Yup the 16/16a stop at the end of Aungier St just before Camden St there at a set of flats, then St.Stephens Green is about a 5 minute walk or less. I'd budget about an hour, but I wouldn't be a hundred 100%. Possibly getting off at Georges St and then walking the extra odd minute would cut out the madness of traffic on Aungier/Georges St.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

I'd budget an hour if you caught a bus at maybe 7:30am. Maybe. Commuting in Dublin is a bitch. Simply no comparison with Galway.

Northwood is kinda the arse-end of Santry. It's quite far out along the airport road. 16 might be the only bus you can get out there, tbh. Not sure if the Swords buses go that way though, 43 and stuff.

You could probably do a search on the Dublin Bus website for buses that serve the area.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

A little tip for you loads of people fall for this....the 16 does not go anywhere near Northwood in Santry,only get the 16A to the Airport.

Amy normal bus that goes to th Airport will take you to Northwood.

Just asked my mate who lives in Santry about 15 mins from Northwood and said it could take up to 80 minutes. He also said maybe that a look at buses going from Ballymun aswell, might be quicker.;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Get off the bus from Santry at the Beaumont House pub and catch a 20b - that goes to and from Stephen's green in the rush hours.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    Get off the bus from Santry at the Beaumont House pub and catch a 20b - that goes to and from Stephen's green in the rush hours.

No point in doing this as the 20B is not guaranteed to get you in faster,also the 16A in the morrning does not go into Beaumont.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Just asked my mate who lives in Santry about 15 mins from Northwood and said it could take up to 80 minutes. He also said maybe that a look at buses going from Ballymun aswell, might be quicker.;)
    WHAT?! 80 MINUTES?!

Proxy wrote: »
    WHAT?! 80 MINUTES?!

Welcome to dublin.

I'm shocked, really. Thats how long it takes me to get to work in Galway on a bad traffic morning - and I live 25 miles away from it. I haven't moved yet but i'm starting to reconsider!!

Any reason why you picked Santry; budget, location, family? Get yourself a nice oul bike.;)

• Advertisement

Was pretty much all I could get due to time. Starting a job on Monday. And the flat was nice, had all I needed (broadband, shops nearby) and the flatmate was friendly. I might go up tomorrow to look at a place closer to town though. I've been talking to them since and they say its never taken longer than 40 min...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

THIS IS ALL BOLLOX

I live in Northwood nearly a year and work on Hatch St, top of Harcourt St.

There is a plethora of buses at the entrance 41, 41A, 41B, 41C, 33, 746, all leave you on or near O'Connell St., then it's a 15 - 20 min walk to Stephens Green...that's a short walk through the heart of the city....plenty of talent on show!

Even the jaysus 16A skips Beaumont in the morning so thats fine too.

You'll be waiting 10mins MAX for a bus, usually less than 5 mins.

Takes max 60mins at heart of rush hour - 40 min bus MAX and 20 min walk.

By the way, Northwood is one of the best places I have ever lived...it's is a beautiful location with a massive park, huge gym and downright nice people all around.

You will love it.

80 minutes me arse, what's he talking about (Willis)

Buy a scooter/bike, you'll be in in 30mins.

I like you. A lot. I'll buy you a pint in the hotel next week if you're right. :D Gonna have to do it anyway so lets hope you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

If you're going to be living near the gym, I'd suggest walking down to Ballymun Road and hopping on a 4/4A as they are pretty frequent and drop you on nassau st, most time i've ever been on that bus is 40 minutes...

If you're going to be living near the gym, I'd suggest walking down to Ballymun Road and hopping on a 4/4A as they are pretty frequent and drop you on nassau st, most time i've ever been on that bus is 40 minutes...
    Great tip, thanks for that :)

What time would you be catching the bus at?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

IanCurtis is right, get off the bus on O'Connell Street and walk. It can take 15 minutes to get down O'Connell Street and then another 10 minutes to get through College Green.

What time would you be catching the bus at?

Well I don't know really. I've to be in work for 9 in Stephen's Green/Cuffe St. so i'd presume 8am...?

Presume wrong, I'd get an earlier bus, maybe 7.40... if you get off beside Trinity it should get you there just in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

IanCurtis wrote: »
    There is a plethora of buses at the entrance 41, 41A, 41B, 41C, 33, 746, all leave you on or near O'Connell St.,

It depends what part of Northwood he's living in. If it's up near Ballymun it's roughly a 15min-20min walk to the bus stop for those buses.
    Aswell as that he wants to go to Stephen's Green so I'd say it could roughly take between 60-80 mins to get were he wants to go.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »

Don't do this. I live in Northwood and used to live in Grace Park Heights. The 20b can take up to 25 mins to get from Grace Park Road to the Malahide Rd in the mornings due to the crazy timing of the traffic lights for vehicles turning right from Collins' ave onto Malahide rd. When I was living in GPH i walked either out to the malahide rd. itself or out onto Swords Rd. and it nearly halved my journey. Also, as has been mentioned, the 16a doesn't go that route before 9.00am.
    IanCurtis wrote: »
    THIS IS ALL BOLLOX

I live in Northwood nearly a year and work on Hatch St, top of Harcourt St.

There is a plethora of buses at the entrance 41, 41A, 41B, 41C, 33, 746, all leave you on or near O'Connell St., then it's a 15 - 20 min walk to Stephens Green...that's a short walk through the heart of the city....plenty of talent on show!

Even the jaysus 16A skips Beaumont in the morning so thats fine too.

You'll be waiting 10mins MAX for a bus, usually less than 5 mins.

Takes max 60mins at heart of rush hour - 40 min bus MAX and 20 min walk.

By the way, Northwood is one of the best places I have ever lived...it's is a beautiful location with a massive park, huge gym and downright nice people all around.

You will love it.

80 minutes me arse, what's he talking about (Willis)

Buy a scooter/bike, you'll be in in 30mins.

I don't get the bus quite that early, but it can take longer than 40mins, depending on the traffic, when i get the bus @ about 9.00am (god I love flexi-time). Most it's taken me is an hour. Least is about 25mins.

OP: 16a is definitely your best bet. After O'connell st. it stops at (a) the bus stop shop (beside Q bar on D'olier st) and then (b) around on Dame St opposite Central Bank. You should ideally get off at one of these, and either (a) cut right through Trinity, checking out the Student talent or (b) head up grafton st, checking out the power-suit-and-runners-combo talent.

Unless you live up the Ballymun end. I've only gotten the 4 or 4a once and it took about the same length of time but it's twice the distance to/from the bus stop for me in Parklands. Which development are you in?

Don't forget to check out Neighbours.ie, (go to Dublin, then Dublin 9, then whatever the development is) if you're moving in. There's also a Northwood Park forum for the area as a a whole.

http://www.neighbours.ie/dublin9/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Whoa, cheers guys! I'm in Lymewood, which is the Ballymun side. I've been walking to the Crown Plaza side all week to get the Santry bus, but i've just been told I can easily walk to the Ballymun side and get the same bus from around the Omni Park with less of a walk.

I'm actually considering moving as i've started to be offered viewings of places in and around Rathmines. Feel like a prick walking out on my flatmates after a month though.

Proxy wrote: »
    Whoa, cheers guys! I'm in Lymewood, which is the Ballymun side. I've been walking to the Crown Plaza side all week to get the Santry bus, but i've just been told I can easily walk to the Ballymun side and get the same bus from around the Omni Park with less of a walk.

I'm actually considering moving as i've started to be offered viewings of places in and around Rathmines. Feel like a prick walking out on my flatmates after a month though.

Ah yes Rathmines, the home of the culchies.:D Rathmines is a nice place btw.

Advertisement