Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

garage planning

• 27-02-2008 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

do i need planning to build 5m * 5m garage to rear of house in course of construction ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Yea, that' s the max. internal floor area though. Also it has to be behnd the front line of the house and be no more than 4m high

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

If 5m * 5m are the external dimensions, then the floor area would be less than 25 m2. It might be exempt depending on height, location and green area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

jimbo78 wrote: »
    Yea, that' s the max. internal floor area though. Also it has to be behnd the front line of the house and be no more than 4m high
    This post is a bit mis-leading, there is nothing wrong with what you said, but a garage could be built inline with those requirements and not be exempt, eg finish, flat roof at 4m, garden size,

Before carrying out any work that might be exempt, check the regs. Available from most LA websites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

foureyes wrote: »
    do i need planning to build 5m * 5m garage to rear of house in course of construction ?

yes . NOT exempt until after original permitted works are completed .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

sinnerboy wrote: »
    yes . NOT exempt until after original permitted works are completed .
    Dont understand that comment sinnerboy.

And where did the OP say anything about "permitted works"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

foureyes wrote: »
    I think he is refering to "course of construction", as in the OP has permission for a house or extension and is wishing to build a garage at the same time. House needs to be finished first for most (any?) exempt development to take place.

muffler wrote: »
    Dont understand that comment sinnerboy.

And where did the OP say anything about "permitted works"

correct Mellor , - I assume that the OP is building new , with permission granted . In this case the granted works have to be completed first . The exempt development can be added then .

The OP should satisfy himself that the additional works ARE exempt .

I would add that the day will arrive when the OP will need an architects Opinion on compliance or exemption from planning control ( aka "Cert" )

So he should engage an Architect now . Not rely on ANY post here .

More than once I have been asked to provide such an opinion for extensions which did not qualify as exempt . Opinion was not issued .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

sinnerboy wrote: »
    correct Mellor , - I assume that the OP is building new , with permission granted . In this case the granted works have to be completed first . The exempt development can be added then .

The OP should satisfy himself that the additional works ARE exempt .
    Ah right - sorry I read it as the garage being under construction. My mistake and your reply was indeed correct. he cant build the "exempted" garage till after the house is completed - well not supposed to anyhow and the cert of compliance could be difficult to release in this instance as was mentioned.

Advertisement