Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

whats the difference between saloon and hatchback cars

Options
  • 27-02-2008 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

excuse my stupidity but can someone explain to me the difference between saloon cars and hatchback. i've been looking at some pics but can't see any real noticable differences

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Saloons have a separate boot. Hatchbacks have an opening rear door, incorporating the rear window.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Same car Ford Focus:

Saloon, seperate boot (rear window doesn't open)

12985215118837605611b47np9.jpg

Hatchback, whole rear opens.

fordfocus5doorhatchbackpq5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

focus on the back of the cars to see the difference between the two

Saloon - typically 4 doors and a traditional boot - opens independantly of the rear window .

Hatchback - typically 4 doors and a boot - but boot is integrated with the rear window .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Damned modern designs. Once it was obvious! :p

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

If you're looking on carzone or similar sites people seem to get their descriptions wrong quite a bit.
    I was researching an estate for the wife last year & constantly found saloons & hatchbacks described as such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Also, some cars (Skoda Octavia, old model Citroen C5) look like a saloon at first glance but are actually hatchbacks. You can see the gap going around the back window where the hatchback boot opens if you look.

And most hatchbacks have a rear wiper, whereas most saloons don't.

Advertisement