Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsure about handing over rent to landlord

Options
  • 27-02-2008 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi, I am moving into a new apartment next wed. The landlord said we can meet then and I can give him the cash then when we sign the lease, and he will give keys etc. then.
    He asked for my RSI aswell though, what would he want that for, thats what made me suss about it..
    Is this normal?
    Should I be worried?
    If this is a scam I am goin to find myself homeless

Please help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I imagine its something to do with registering with the PRTB
    I wouldn't worry about it at all, seems normal stuff to me. Just make sure he gives you a receipt for the deposit or mentions it on the lease agreement.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭peteburnshndbag

I told him I am already registered with the prtb though, and he said its normal to notify them when changin landlords??
    Is this ok??
    I'm just worried, can someone do something with your RSI if they arent legit??
    Can they find out stuff about you if they have it??

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

It's the tenancy that's registered with the PTRB not the tenant. So the landlord has to regester this tenancy & that's what he needs your RSI no. for. He'll ask you to sign a document as well as the lease for this purpose.

To be honest I'd be more worried it he didn't ask for your RSI number.

Best of luck with the move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭peteburnshndbag

RIRI wrote: »
    It's the tenancy that's registered with the PTRB not the tenant. So the landlord has to regester this tenancy & that's what he needs your RSI no. for. He'll ask you to sign a document as well as the lease for this purpose.

To be honest I'd be more worried it he didn't ask for your RSI number.

Best of luck with the move

Thanks so much, really put my mind at rest now. Feel a bit calmer now. I've been in panic mode all week trying to find a new flat. Looked at 15 in 2 wks. Most of them were tiny, horrible and well overpriced..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It all sounds OK. Just make sure that you get a receipt for your money as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You could also grab his license plate number if he drives a car if you're worried (gives something to track him by).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

He needs your RSI number to register the tenancy. He sounds above board. use the opportunity to ask him for his RSI number (it makes claiming rental tax relief easier).

Advertisement