Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problem starting a 01 Astra

Options
  • 28-02-2008 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hi,
    I wonder if anyone here can help. My brother has a problem with his Astra. Earlier today an Engine light came on, on the dash and it lost power a few times as he was driving, including when he was on the motorway. It cut out a few times as well when he was stopped. Tonight it would not start at all. It turned over okay but just did not fire/catch. We tried a push start on a hill but nothing happened. Eventually we had to boost/jump the battery and again it is turning over okay but nothing else.
    Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Check it for water, it's probably the headgasket, regular problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Mocking Burd

Sorry - where exactly am I checking for water? Do you mean somewhere it shouldn't be?

Check the radiator for water, if the levels down it means the water could be getting into the engine and/or mixing with the oil or filling up the cylinders with water hence all the problems. Try dipping the oil and if its whitish this will confirm the problem although this is not always the case, sometimes the water just gets into the engine.

Oh okay - will give that a go in the morning as he has abandoned it at my house.
    He did only have it serviced last week though. Another thing we noticed was - at the back and sort of above the engine, where the starter appeared to be (under a black cover, sorry tried to find a photo on net but couldn't), well something has leaked in this area. I can't imagine that it would be oil as it's further up the engine bay but it looks like it might be some sort of fluid other than water.

I can't imagine that it would be oil as it's further up the engine bay but it looks like it might be some sort of fluid other than water.

:)

It might be Kryptonite.;)

• Advertisement

Do you know - I think you might be right :D If I have to take it to a garage I'll tell them what it is !

Thanks very much for the advice junkyard. Hopefully it is just the water problem. I'll check it early in the morning for him and see if I can save him a train trip. :)

Advertisement