Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your Favourite Labels

• 28-02-2008 12:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭

Well since we had the favourite genres thread a while ago, I felt maybe a favourite labels thread would be a good idea.

One of the huge advantages of the internet and sites like beatport is you can find any label you want with a quick search and go through their back catalogue. Always makes for an enjoyable experience.

Anywho here are some of my favourite labels:

Audiomatique:
    it's a sub-label of poker flat and has a very distinctive sound. Very musical tech-house minimal. Decidedly non-aggressive techno that isn't chillout either. Trentemoller had his first big hit on Audiomatique I think, and other big guns to have releases on it have been Gui Boratto (with Beluga) and Adultnapper (Juror No.9). Robert Babicz also has had some releases on this label.

I'd definitely recommend this label to anyone who is new to tech-house/minimal/ etc.

Get Physical :
    They've released a lot of stuff I like (Booka Shade) and some stuff I don't like (Electrochemie). Overall they seem to have a high standard of releases but some of it isn't my cup of tea. saying that, people who it is their cup of tea will not be dissappointed. Well worth a listen/checking out.

Systematic : Some great releases on this label. Marc Romboy and those kind of guys are regularly releasing stuff on this label. Minimal/tech/prog.

Bpitch Control : I'm sure many of you are already familiar with the Modeselektor stuff and people like Ellen Allien. Some nice stuff

Poker Flat: Not much to be said about this label. It's a massive label that has released stuff by anyone who has made a decent minimal/tech-house record in the past two years. Really really good stuff.

Anywho they're my recommendations to anyone looking for new music. Anyone got any others?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I always remember XLRecords for the Prodigy Experience and a few of my friends who messed around with turntables always had plenty of XL Labels in their bag.

I also like stuff from Kranky, not a true dance label, more ambient or drone stuff..for another thread perhaps.

oh and whatever label 'I Love Techno 2007 (Dave Clarke)' is on, listening to it at the min and wow, brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ICX

I always remember XLRecords for the Prodigy Experience and a few of my friends who messed around with turntables always had plenty of XL Labels in their bag.

I also like stuff from Kranky, not a true dance label, more ambient or drone stuff..for another thread perhaps.

oh and whatever label 'I Love Techno 2007 (Dave Clarke)' is on, listening to it at the min and wow, brilliant.

Xl Records brings me back :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Current favourite label is probably Defected as they do release some quality material despite the occasional cheesy number.

Of all time it would be a toss up between

Strictly Rhythm (Classic House)

Cleveland City (House)

Prolekult (Underground Techno)

Bonzai (Trance/Techno)

Eye Q (Trance/Techno)

Rising High (Techno/Acid)

Warp (Tehcno/Bleep)

Strictly Underground (UK Hardcore/Breakbeat)

Metalheadz (Jungle/D & B)

Deconstruction (across the board)

Many more but ive alredy listed enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

too many to pick, right now i'm all about

Metalheadz - more the old stuff, haven't been all too keen ont he stuff they did since the last label manager left to be honest; although the Commix album was quite good in parts!

Secret Operations - seba's label, i have every release, they're all brilliant, dnb the way it should be.

Bassbin - you never know what you're going to get with Bassbin, but it's always guaranteed quality

Digital Soundboy - few patchy early bits, but if you'd told me a few years back that Shy FX was going to be signing tunes like these i'd have told you to pull the other one!

Subtle Audio - Limericks finest, last few releases (fracture and neptune, dissident) have been off the hook!

Soul:r / signature / Revolve:r - Calibre and Marcus Intallex. enough said really...

Intasound - proper cheese free heaviness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Yeah it was great that you could always get a fair idea of what type of style current releases were going to be like just by the label it was being released on.

Favourites down through the years have been.

Guerilla

Limbo

Cleveland City

Strictly Rhythm

Junior Boy's Own

Hard Hands

Stress

Deconstruction (although they tended to pick up and release tracks from other labels)

XL

Paper

Effective

Defected

AM:PM (like Deconstruction also)

Blunted

Loaded

Multiply

Soma

I probably have most of the releases on the first 5 listed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

The only label I really follow is Hospital records.
    London based D&B label

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Ruddy Jimbo

Skint..only cos i worship Dave Clarke & Midfield General! The brighton & hove albion jersey is sponsored by the label too!So a good mix of music and football :cool:

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

jonny68 wrote: »
    Current favourite label is probably Defected as they do release some quality material despite the occasional cheesy number.

Of all time it would be a toss up between

Strictly Rhythm (Classic House)

Cleveland City (House)

Prolekult (Underground Techno)

Bonzai (Trance/Techno)

Eye Q (Trance/Techno)

Rising High (Techno/Acid)

Warp (Tehcno/Bleep)

Strictly Underground (UK Hardcore/Breakbeat)

Metalheadz (Jungle/D & B)

Deconstruction (across the board)

Many more but ive alredy listed enough.
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    Yeah it was great that you could always get a fair idea of what type of style current releases were going to be like just by the label it was being released on.

Favourites down through the years have been.

Guerilla

Limbo

Cleveland City

Strictly Rhythm

Junior Boy's Own

Hard Hands

Stress

Deconstruction (although they tended to pick up and release tracks from other labels)

XL

Paper

Effective

Defected

AM:PM (like Deconstruction also)

Blunted

Loaded

Multiply

Soma

I probably have most of the releases on the first 5 listed.

As above basically in the good ol' days and still on the lookout :)

In terms of more recent I am buying...

FAX +49-69/450 464
    http://www.discogs.com/label/Fax+%2B49-69%2F450464

Expanding Records
    http://www.discogs.com/label/Expanding+Records

Merck
    http://www.discogs.com/label/Merck

Warp (after a few years break, some great releases again - main one being Chris Clark)
    http://www.discogs.com/artist/Chris+Clark
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymh13G8YgQE&feature=related (fkced up video)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOg--rzuDMQ&feature=related

Ad Noiseam
    http://www.discogs.com/label/Ad+Noiseam
    Only have one release so far but a spectacular release it is so will be hunting more from this label.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjrul3TyXt0
    ...above track if from an album called 'Endoenous' which I haven't got yet, I have 'Origin' which is unreal.

Lots more weird and wonderful labels I am chasing. Minimal is definitely next on the list, really liking some of the Kompakt releases I have heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 -jethro-

jtsuited wrote: »
    Audiomatique:
    it's a sub-label of poker flat and has a very distinctive sound. Very musical tech-house minimal. Decidedly non-aggressive techno that isn't chillout either. Trentemoller had his first big hit on Audiomatique I think, and other big guns to have releases on it have been Gui Boratto (with Beluga) and Adultnapper (Juror No.9). Robert Babicz also has had some releases on this label.

Trentemollers first big release was his “Le Champagne” EP which was released on Naked Music.

One of my fave labels is Poker Flat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

The only label I really follow is Hospital records.
    London based D&B label

they're a bit of a curate's egg imo... a lot of great tunes in the back catalogue, but by christ they come out with some cheesy stinkers too... wasn't at all impressed with that high contrast lp, and any of the q project stuff has been gash too, but then every once in a while they totally flip the script and release a banger... a-sides "crabs in a bucket" off the weapons of mass creation 3 ep was probably one of my tunes of 2007, got great mileage out of it...

have you heard the hospital sublabel for deeper stuff, Med School?

fracture and neptune "ventura" is wicked, like pink floyd and king tubby making jungle in danny breaks' studio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭senan s

No Respect records...

Advertisement