Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland to face Colombia in London on May 29

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Hmm, going to see Ireland without being a 36 hour round trip, sounds good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Can someone please explain why the fúck Ireland are playing a South American team, in London?

Why are they not playing a Eastern European team, in Eastern Europe?

Another poxy meaningless friendly that will teach no-one anything.

Another absolutely clownish decision by the FAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Ah give it a rest will ya?

The more matches for Trap the better. I know London isn't ideal, but Columbia should provide a good test for the squad and give him a better idea of his strongest team. Should be a pretty intense week or so.

Ah give it a rest will ya?
    Why?

So the FAI can get away with it?
    The more matches for Trap the better. I know London isn't ideal, but Columbia should provide a good test for the squad and give him a better idea of his strongest team. Should be a pretty intense week or so.
    This is a less than nothing game.

Ireland are unlikely to be playing any South American team in competitions for the foreseeable future, so the manager will learn nothing about his new team can play against opposition that they may actually have to face sometime soon.

Even if it was a game against someone like The Ukraine, Croatia, whoever from over there, and it was in London it would have some meaning.

Ireland needs away friendlies in Eastern Europe.

It's just that the blazers are afraid of the places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Yes, strange opponent to be playing given we're playing 3 eastern bloc teams. Will be going to see this nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Another meaningless friendly. We need proper away friendlies against other European teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

DesF wrote: »
    Can someone please explain why the fúck Ireland are playing a South American team, in London?

Why are they not playing a Eastern European team, in Eastern Europe?

QFT

About time for an away friendly but in London against a SA team :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Why is it on a Thursday?

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Why is it on a Thursday?
    lol

Why anything to do with this stupid game?

Haha, fair enough.

Well I suppose the Premiership will be well finished up by then and it'll be a nice excuse for "The Blazers" to bring the WAGs over to London for a bit of early summer shopping.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

sigh...

columbian players have to travel to play us, london suits THEM. Do you really think "eastern block" countries play a different game than "south americans" or "asians"... columbia are a good side, better than most easten block countries, it gives trap an extra friendly, players will still be at peak fitness and you dont know what commitments these eastern block countries have, for example, why would croatia want to play us weeks before euro 2008? "why anything to do with croatia"? meaningless friendly that will teach no one anything? what will playing in ukraine teach robbie keane that a game against columbia wont? what will playing against croatia tell trap that playing columbia wont? and we're playing serbia the week before, not eastern block enough for you? don't we want to try and qualify for a world cup, where there'll be south american teams?
    DesF wrote:
    So the fai can get away with it?
    what exactly are the fai trying to get away with!?

Criteria for friendly?
    Opposition: yes
    Venue: yes
    Convenient Location for BOTH sides: yes
    90 minutes of friendly football so trap can watch his new squad: yes
    Appropriate date at end of season before summer break: yes

ditpoker wrote: »
    sigh...
    heh, I made a bigger one when I read the rest of this tbh.
    columbian players have to travel to play us, london suits THEM. Do you really think "eastern block" countries play a different game than "south americans" or "asians"...
    Do you seriously think they don't? :confused:

South Amerrican football is totally different to European football.
    players will still be at peak fitness and
    erm, rofl.

You think the full squad will be there for this game, yeah?

Are you doing this on purpose, or are you actually yhat naive?

you dont know what commitments these eastern block countries have, for example, why would croatia want to play us weeks before euro 2008?
    Croatia would want to play ireland because the players play in the EPL, much like the England players.

Croatia have England in the next Qualification tournament. ;)
    "why anything to do with croatia"? meaningless friendly that will teach no one anything? what will playing in ukraine teach robbie keane that a game against columbia wont? what will playing against croatia tell trap that playing columbia wont? and we're playing serbia the week before, not eastern block enough for you? don't we want to try and qualify for a world cup, where there'll be south american teams?
    I have to say, I think ypu are deliberately obfuscating now.

I said an away friendly in the Eastern Bloc would be more beneficial to the team.

Get them used to conditions for a start.

what exactly are the fai trying to get away with!?
    The fact that Ireland haven't played a single friendly game in Eastern Europe. Ever.
    Criteria for friendly?
    Opposition: yes
    Venue: yes
    Convenient Location for BOTH sides: yes
    90 minutes of friendly football so trap can watch his new squad: yes
    Appropriate date at end of season before summer break: yes
    Pull the wool over the fans eyes yet again? Big Fat Yes.

Do you really think "eastern block" countries play a different game than "south americans" or "asians"...
    To a degree, Yes. But that's not the point.
    Ireland for years have been sh1t in competitive away matches. One could argue that the fact that we hardly ever play away friendlies would be one reason for this.

it gives trap an extra friendly
    Only real positive about this friendly tbh.

why would croatia want to play us weeks before euro 2008?
    Teams always play friendly matches leading up to tournaments and particularly play teams that play in a style similar to that of those in their Group.

what will playing in ukraine teach robbie keane that a game against columbia wont?
    It's not playing a certain opposition that's important, it's the location.

and we're playing serbia the week before, not eastern block enough for you?
    At home!

don't we want to try and qualify for a world cup, where there'll be south american teams?
    And if we do qualify, we will actually play friendlies against similar teams leading up to the competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

heh, I made a bigger one when I read the rest of this tbh.

Do you seriously think they don't? :confused:i think play different styles, but united play different style to fulham, style varies, not by region, but by team. they're all playing football

South Amerrican football is totally different to European football.i disagree with this. brazilian football is different to irish football. i dont think spanish football is too far from argentinian football. do either of us really know enough about football in peru or in czech republic to make broad general statements?

erm, rofl.

Are you doing this on purpose, or are you actually yhat naive?

to be honest, the full squad is NEVER there for friendlies, be it in croke park, or london, or the states. Our main squad doesnt show for friendlies which is probably a bigger issue, and if they were playing in eastern europe it doesnt mean more of them would show.

Croatia would want to play ireland because the players play in the EPL, much like the England players.

Croatia have England in the next Qualification tournament. ;)i'd suggest croatia had their pre-tournament friendlies planned well in advance of the ireland-columbia announcement. We're not england. Croatia can find plenty of opposition better/worse than us to meet their needs.

I have to say, I think ypu are deliberately obfuscating now.ok?

I said an away friendly in the Eastern Bloc would be more beneficial to the team.

Get them used to conditions for a start.i reckon most of our senior internationals have played plenty of football out there, in club football and international.

The fact that Ireland haven't played a single friendly game in Eastern Europe. Ever.how many friendlies have paraguay played in china,or japan?

Pull the wool over the fans eyes yet again? Big Fat Yes.??? HOW, you say it like its a conspiracy, as if they are hiding something?!?! what wool did they pull over who's eyes?!?! really!?!?!

They are a decent enough team. Personally I think Irelands problems stem from inability to create on the ball in a proper way, I'm gona put my faith in Trap for the time being. If we can seriously challenge for the WC 2nd place I'll be happy, then really pushing for qualification for the next euros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Regardless of the opposition it is another game for Trap to work with the players which can only be good in the long run.

Yes I do agree that Ireland need to play more away friendlies particularly in eastern Europe because we are guaranteed at least two eastern European teams in our qualification groups from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Ireland have failed to perform away from home (when were we fearsome on the road, exactly?) in recent years because of a.) overly negative tic-tacs and b.) inept coaching in general.

It was nothing to do with players thinking "oh bejaysus lads we're in the EASTERN BLOC what do we do?!".

Actually, I reckon it will be a full squad, new manager and all that.

PiE wrote: »
    Ireland have failed to perform away from home (when were we fearsome on the road, exactly?) in recent years because of a.) overly negative tic-tacs and b.) inept coaching in general.
    Arggghh! Too many brackets!!!! And what have tic-tacs got to do with anything?!?! Apart from being refreshingly minty of course!

• Advertisement

i reckon most of our senior internationals have played plenty of football out there, in club football and international.
    You do?

Shay Given?
    Richard Dunne?
    Andy Reid?
    Stephen Reid?
    Stephen Ireland?
    Damien Duff recently?
    Stephen Hunt?
    Kevin Doyle?

I could go on?
    how many friendlies have paraguay played in china,or japan?
    I would say little to none.

Why?

because Paraguay don't need to play these countries in friendlies. Same as we don't need to play Colombia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

I was waiting for this :)

In fairness, re gaining experience of hostile E European grounds and atmosphere, would a friendly really introduce them to the real deal? We bring a large travelling support wherever in E Europe we go. But how many people are going to spend a massive amount of money flying to Moldova for a fookin friendly? Prague, Riga, Bulgaria (who we are hardly going to hold a friendly with) are the only places that would attract travelling fans for friendlies, mainly because they could make a lads weeked out of it. You arent going to have 6000 people travelling to watch Ireland v Belarus in a friendly.

Shay Given? Injured, and we pray he will be fit by September
    Richard Dunne? Probably
    Andy Reid? Yes
    Stephen Reid? Deffo if fit
    Stephen Ireland? Likely if he ever wants back on the team again
    Damien Duff recently? Yep
    Stephen Hunt? Why not
    Kevin Doyle? Yes

Apart from Given Id reckon a proper turn out.

shane86 wrote: »
    I was waiting for this :)
    Oh goody gumdrops.

In fairness, re gaining experience of hostile E European grounds and atmosphere, would a friendly really introduce them to the real deal? We bring a large travelling support wherever in E Europe we go. But how many people are going to spend a massive amount of money flying to Moldova for a fookin friendly? Prague, Riga, Bulgaria (who we are hardly going to hold a friendly with) are the only places that would attract travelling fans for friendlies, mainly because they could make a lads weeked out of it. You arent going to have 6000 people travelling to watch Ireland v Belarus in a friendly.
    What the hell difference does it make if fans travel to a friendly game or not?

It's not the stadia the players need to be gotten used to, it's the conditions.
    Shay Given? Injured, and we pray he will be fit by September
    Richard Dunne? Probably
    Andy Reid? Yes
    Stephen Reid? Deffo if fit
    Stephen Ireland? Likely if he ever wants back on the team again
    Damien Duff recently? Yep
    Stephen Hunt? Why not
    Kevin Doyle? Yes

Apart from Given Id reckon a proper turn out.
    What?

I wasn't saying these players wouldn't turn up for a friendly. I was refuting ditpoker's point that most of the senior international players have experience in EE with their clubs.

Clearly the majority don't.

What the hell difference does it make if fans travel to a friendly game or not?

It's not the stadia the players need to be gotten used to, it's the conditions.

So what is this "away effect" they need to get used to?

A stadium 99% full of opposing fans?
    The state of the pitch?
    The style of play?
    The weather?

Anyway, sorry, I misread the second point as being about fitness. End of lunch rushed internet and all that.....

I think the players need to get used to away games in general. I don't think there's a pressing issue to do with Eastern European football in comparison to the rest of Europe, I just think there's an issue with playing away in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I can't believe anyone would think that a friendly against Colombia would count as good practice for an away game against Bulgaria or Montenegro.

Well, Traps in charge now, no doubt he picked this friendly, so I'm gona put my faith in him, especially since he's got Fergie Approval(tm)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The fact that Ireland haven't played a single friendly game in Eastern Europe. Ever.
    Our away friendlies since 1990, from soccerscene:

22.08.2007 at 19:30 Friendly Denmark 4 - 0 Ireland
    26.05.2007 at 21:00 Friendly Bolivia 1 - 1 Ireland
    23.05.2007 at 01:00 Friendly Ecuador 1 - 1 Ireland
    05.06.2004 at 19:00 Friendly Holland 0 - 1 Ireland
    02.06.2004 at 19:45 Friendly Jamaica 0 - 1 Ireland
    28.04.2004 at 20:00 Friendly Poland 0 - 0 Ireland
    12.02.2003 at 00:00 Friendly Scotland 0 - 2 Ireland
    20.11.2002 at 00:00 Friendly Greece 0 - 0 Ireland
    21.08.2002 at 00:00 Friendly Finland 0 - 3 Ireland
    11.02.1997 at 00:00 Friendly Wales 0 - 0 Ireland
    04.06.1996 at 00:00 Friendly Holland 3 - 1 Ireland
    24.04.1996 at 00:00 Friendly Czech Rep 2 - 0 Ireland
    29.05.1994 at 00:00 Friendly Germany 0 - 2 Ireland
    20.04.1994 at 00:00 Friendly Holland 0 - 1 Ireland
    11.09.1991 at 00:00 Friendly Hungary 1 - 2 Ireland
    01.06.1991 at 00:00 Friendly USA 1 - 1 Ireland
    06.02.1991 at 00:00 Friendly Wales 0 - 3 Ireland
    02.06.1990 at 00:00 Friendly Malta 0 - 3 Ireland
    27.05.1990 at 00:00 Friendly Turkey 0 - 0 Ireland *

Not disagreeing with your overall point but just checked out of interest.

DSB wrote: »
    I can't believe anyone would think that a friendly against Colombia would count as good practice for an away game against Bulgaria or Montenegro.
    I don't think the opposition for this game is really important. It's all about finding the best team n system for the players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

eirebhoy wrote: »

*Rubs eyes with disbelief*

Ireland beat Germany and Holland in their back yard within a couple of weeks!?!?! :eek:

How times have changed.

Raekwon wrote: »
    *Rubs eyes with disbelief*

Ireland beat Germany and Holland in their back yard within a couple of weeks!?!?! :eek:

How times have changed.
    vs Germany
    vs Holland

Our away friendlies since 1990, from soccerscene:

Not disagreeing with your overall point but just checked out of interest.

Games played at midnight?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Haven't scored in Eastern Europe in a friendly since 1991. Think we need some practice:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

**** Pats will be without key players for that game.

On another note how ****ing awesome is it to say that for like the 1st time ever :D:D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Tbh sometimes I feel some posters complain about the FAI just for the sake of it.

If this friendly wasn't created, people would destroy the FAI for not giving Traps another match with the players

If the friendly was scheduled in Eastern Europe some of you would slaugher the FAI for burning them out with a 10 hour round trip to a place no-ones even heard of, when Traps could have got to know the players just as well over here.

Get a grip guys, its better than nothing. And nothing is what we had barely 12 hours ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

deise59 wrote: »
    Get a grip guys, its better than nothing. And nothing is what we had barely 12 hours ago

yeah i completely agree with you, people need to get over it, london or not its a good idea to get another match for traps!

Advertisement