Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Production turning into an advertising board

Options
  • 28-02-2008 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭

Could somebody please take a look at how the Music production forum has lately turned into a place of marketing for one particular poster (Paul Brewer) who has clearly joined boards with the intention of using it as a place to develop a customer base?

You only have to look at his post history, and the general vibe on Music Production lately to see what I'm talking about.

While I know that there is no explicit shilling going on, the person in question is clearly using boards for a commercial purpose. here are some examples:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055231963

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055243269

It is annoying me of late, as if many of his competitors began to use boards in the same way, that particular forum would turn into a joke.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Couldn't disagree more. You've no idea how much of a valuable asset someone with industry experience is to a forum dedicated to project recording. I think we're lucky to have such a varied knowledge-base with regular contributions from the likes of cornbb, studio rat and paul brewer. Neither of those posts you've linked to are commercially driven; they're for the benefit of forum members. I think suggesting that Paul is using the forum to spam is doing both him and the Music Production forum a huge discredit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

You forgot to post links to the extremely helpful posts that Paul has made in the forum. He is a highly experienced member of the Irish pro-audio community and a consistently helpful poster. He is well-known enough in the Irish pro-audio community without having to draw attention to himself and has made an active effort to get discussions going, and to help less-experienced posters. The posts you link to refer to pro-audio events, not anything he is selling that I am aware of.

You already hijacked a thread with this crusade of yours (here - relevant posts have been deleted but admins can take a look if they wish) where a significant number of posters disagreed entirely with you and the mods also ruled against you. Can you point out more threads which indicate the alledged commercial "vibe of the place"?

The rules on advertising are in the charter and are quite clear, I don't believe they have been breached.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I love feedback. Nobody is ever right. Except the guy with the cat picture.

palindrome.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

If you think that this guy is doing out of no commercial interest, you're just being plain silly.

Really pathetic.
    If I get a few people I know in that side of the business doing the same, you think that would be a good thing?

For god's sake, the guy is namedropping left, right and centre and making out that he has extensive pro experience(citation needed).
    I really am dissappointed at people on that forum not seeing through the sh1te-talk.

my god you guys are being extraordinarily naiive. I'm done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I love feedback. Nobody is ever right. Except the guy with the cat picture.
    Well, doc, when TelePaul is standing up for the mods and telling the OP he's wrong wrong wrong ... :D:D:D

Have you been keeping up with the other Feedback discussions to-day?

• Advertisement

and also 'this crusade of mine' cornbb, is actually pointing out sh1t-talkers in the 'industry' as soon as they open their mouth. You obviously have a problem with that.

jtsuited wrote: »
    and also 'this crusade of mine' cornbb, is actually pointing out sh1t-talkers in the 'industry' as soon as they open their mouth. You obviously have a problem with that.

He's done nothing wrong - read the posts and the charter again.

I'm done with it.

Well I guess that's that then. Talk about a self-defeating argument.

cornbb wrote: »
    (here - relevant posts have been deleted but admins can take a look if they wish)

i'd love actually if Dev took a look at the deleted parts. I've seen him murder people for far less on the Poker forums.
    I'd be very surprised if the admins found no wrongdoing here.

Well, doc, when TelePaul is standing up for the mods and telling the OP he's wrong wrong wrong ... :D:D:D

Have you been keeping up with the other Feedback discussions to-day?

If I'm honest, I'll admit that cat pic actually pissed me off a bit.

• Advertisement

TelePaul wrote: »
    Well I guess that's that then. Talk about a self-defeating argument.

i meant i'm done with it on that particular forum. i'll still point out that your posts are absolutely irrelavant and useless in this thread.

i'd love actually if Dev took a look at the deleted parts. I've seen him murder people for far less on the Poker forums.

Look, it's a community. We support each other.

i meant i'm done with it on that particular forum. i'll still point out that you're posts are absolutely irrelavant and useless in this thread.

You're posts?

I am posts? :confused:

do you mind not hijacking this thread?

You're lucky the deleted parts didn't get you banned. Most of the forum regulars plus both the forum mods chimed in to disagree with you. Where is all this coming from, do you have a vendetta against Paul?

Who's hijacking? You started by making a rational argument, I refuted it, you called a member a 'sh1t-talker'. It doesn't seem to have alot of potential.

don't even know the guy. but i do know marketing when i see it. and it really annoys me to see someone constantly post with the sole intention of making themselves a bigger presence on the forum.
    And when the purpose of making said presence more prominent is commercial reasons, I feel someone should stand up and point out what's going on.

And I was 'lucky to not get a ban'. While what i said was harsh, it was absolutely true and relevant. After you deleted the bits, another poster not involved even called it a 'reasonable discussion'.

Telepaul, I didn't take this issue over here to argue with you. I don't honestly care about your opinion on the matter. So don't post in this thread. Start another one. It doesn't really concern you.

don't even know the guy. but i do know marketing when i see it. and it really annoys me to see someone constantly post with the sole intention of making themselves a bigger presence on the forum.
    And when the purpose of making said presence more prominent is commercial reasons, I feel someone should stand up and point out what's going on.

And I was 'lucky to not get a ban'. While what i said was harsh, it was absolutely true and relevant. After you deleted the bits, another poster not involved even called it a 'reasonable discussion'.

To be honest mate, if anyones going to be wary, perhaps overly wary of marketing, it's the mod. That's why he's the mod. And Cornbb is okay with the way things are right now.

You started by making a rational argument,
    Do you normally refute rational arguments with such a flimsy retort?

• Advertisement

Telepaul, I didn't take this issue over here to argue with you. I don't honestly care about your opinion on the matter.

Are you new here? It doesn't work that way. Although i suppose if I was agreeing with you, I doubt you'd object.

Do you normally refute rational arguments with such a flimsy retort?

That wasn't a retort...it was just a statement of fact. I'm stating what happened in the thread - read back over it if you don't believe me.

Pot calling the kettle black tbh, given what you've been up to in Music Production for the last couple of days.

Look - he's not been shilling, he's not been spamming, he hasn't tried to push a single product on any user. He has drawn attention to events of genuine interest (not run by his company), something that doesn't happen very often on our forum. There's no boards-wide rule against that, and the Music Production mods certainly have no problem with it. He is popular with every poster bar you, and has helped raise the bar in the forum in terms of professional knowledge.

To be honest mate, if anyones going to be wary, perhaps overly wary of marketing, it's the mod. That's why he's the mod. And Cornbb is okay with the way things are right now.

So let me get this straight. You guys think that the person in question has come to boards without a commercial interest?
    Or you think he came because of his interest in such matters and just happens to centre nearly all his posts on publicising his business?
    Or maybe you think that he is here clearly out of genuine interest and enthusiasm?

well if it's that last one, I really don't think he would have his sig. I really don't think he would have made his "Ladies and Gentlemen" or "Sonic Safari" posts. And I really don't he'd be doing most of the things he does.

Or maybe you think that he is here clearly out of genuine interest and enthusiasm?

Yes. That's exactly what I believe.

Savman, just like everyone else, was on the opposite side of the fence to you. He was complaining that the posts should have been left there in order to continue the discussion, I don't believe that was in your favour.

Savman, just like everyone else, was on the opposite side of the fence to you. He was complaining that the posts should have been left there in order to continue the discussion, I don't believe that was in your favour.

I think he wanted them left because he believed Paul Brewer was doing a fine job of defending himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

well if it's that last one, I really don't think he would have his sig.
    Tbh, I'd be a lot more suspicious of his motives if he wasn't so open about his identity / day job. It's called "declaring an interest", and people can filter what he posts through their knowledge of who he is, and decide how much of what he says to take on board based on that.

Look - he's not been shilling,

that's true[/QUOTE]
    he's not been spamming,
    His sonic safari post can clearly be seen as a sophisticated form of spamming.

"he has however
    He has drawn attention to events of genuine interest (not run by his company)", .[/QUOTE]

eh where. every event he has drawn attention to was being run by his company http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055215041

or am i missing something?

• Advertisement

I think he wanted them left because he believed Paul Brewer was doing a fine job of defending himself.

Without wanting to put words in his mouth yes, I believe that was the gist of it. I'm not going to publish the contents of deleted posts but the admins can check it up if they wish.

There are plenty of posters on boards who make their involvement with a business clear, I've seen them in Broadband, Computers & Technology, Photography, all over the place. As long as they make their associations clear and don't spam or shill or otherwise use the place for advertising purposes I'm not aware that there is any problem. The accusation that the Music Production is a host for such activities is wholly inaccurate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement