Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hello everyone

Options
  • 28-02-2008 2:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

hi i am new two the board im am a frend of the hair im just starting two take up shooting i have not got a rifle . need a bit of info on what tipe of rifle two get im goin two do target shooting an fox an hair hunting as well .im looking at the .17 hmr an .22lr rimfire any help would be helpfull .

thanks two all that responds two this tread

thankyou sig willie:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

killintime wrote: »
    hi i am new two the board im am a frend of the hair im just starting two take up shooting i have not got a rifle . need a bit of info on what tipe of rifle two get im goin two do target shooting an fox an hair hunting as well .im looking at the .17 hmr an .22lr rimfire any help would be helpfull .

Hey killintime, Welcome to the forum. I'm open to correction but I think the Hare is a protected species so you can't hunt them.

As for the caliber, I think .22lr is supposed to be too small for fox. Not sure about .17hmr but someone more knowledgeable than myself will be along shortly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,356 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

NOIP id correct, the hare is protected. It has a season, but it is for shotgun hunting only. As for which rifle for foxes, the lads will be along soon to give you an idea of suitable rounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

You guys have it all wrong, he's not talking about shooting hares (:D):

Anyhow, welcome killintime.
    You've already been given the on the legal status of hares (;)), so I'll concentrate on your calibre choice.
    If you want to do any sort of 'formal' target shooting, you'd be well advised to stick with .22LR. There's little or no 'formal' target shooting for the .17HMR.
    The .17 would be the better round for foxes though, as it shoots much 'flatter' and packs a bigger punch at longer ranges than the .22.
    Both will work fine on foxes, you just have to be aware of the ranges at which they will work effectively and humanely.

.22 ammo will be cheaper than .17 too.

Rovi, what would you consider max effective range on foxes for each of .22lr, .17hmr, .22wmr I've heard different opinions on range for each

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I got a heavy barreled CZ452 in .17HMR for about 450 Euros which I thought
    was great value.

I started out using the club hired .22's at first but when it came to making my
    first buy I wanted the .17 because it was newer and different.
    So far I have not seen any rimfire events/competitions in Ireland that will
    allow you to use the .17 it as it seems to be always .22 only.
    (Some people have said it would be an unfair advantage some have siad
    its a lazy mans round I still love it)

Last time I bought ammo for my 17 the local dealer was charging 19.50 for a box of 50.
    (about 3 Euros more than some other places) at least with the .22 its about a fiver a box.

~B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

I would agree wholeheartedly about the comment about the 17hmr being a "lazy man's" round. Just point and shoot! It'll do for rabbits to 200yds, with practice. Its good for foxes out to 100 yards also. I suppose it boils down to what you can afford. If you take a cz in .22 and hmr, both cost about the same, its really the price of the ammo which affects you and scope choice.

Ammo for .22lr can be had from as little as €5 (for 50) and starts at 16-17€ for the 17hmr for 50.

I'd recommend a higher mag scope for a 17 than .22lr, due to longer effective range of 17.

Downside is the use of a moderator on 17 hmr. I've never heard one without one and it really depends on where you live regarding a permit for one.

All in all I'd give a thumbs up to 17hmr

While we are on about rimfires
    what about .22 Winchestor Magnum, anybody hve any opinions on effective range, ammo cost etc

Jonty wrote: »
    Downside is the use of a moderator on 17 hmr. I've never heard one without one and it really depends on where you live regarding a permit for one.

Pretty loud without a moderator. First time I fired mine I was expecting
    it to sound like a 22 but was surpised at how loud it was.
    With the Moderator ON mine it sounds like a Unmoderated .22

Touching on moderators for a moment. I have a SAK with mine,
    My letter of permission for it states its a SAK brand (as I was asked for exact details)
    Its made from aluminium becuase of the this there are signs of wear in the baffles.

A Parker Hale moderator that is made from steel would probably be a better choice
    I got a lend of one for a few minutes just to try out before and It felt way better than
    the SAK and moderated the sound just as good.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Just so you know.
    I've seen Remington .22 lr Yellow Jackets drop a fox at about 70 Meters.
    Yjlrhvbx.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

bullets wrote: »
    A Parker Hale moderator that is made from steel would probably be a better choice~B

Parker Hale is designed for 22 subsonic only

JetZ do a very good steel moderator for 17 hmr & 22 wmr, but it is quite heavy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭killintime

hi all thank you for your help so now i no i am goin for a .22 rifle now just two find a good one i am looking at the cz range.looking at the cz 452 silhouette an the remington 597 and the ruger10/22. whitch one would you recmmend an why

thank you willie:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Purely for accuracy of the 3 u suggest I'd have to go with the cz. If its fun you're after the 10/22 is hard to beat, I don't know about the 597

Parker Hale is designed for 22 subsonic only

JetZ do a very good steel moderator for 17 hmr & 22 wmr, but it is quite heavy.

Never heard of JetZ can ya give me a link am not worried about weight as all my shooting is done from bench. In the future I plan on getting a more suitable moderator for my one seven.

~B

http://aseutra.fi/english/index.html

go to "product"
    scroll down to "rimfire suppressor"
    click on link

hi all thank you for your help so now i no i am goin for a .22 rifle now just two find a good one i am looking at the cz range.looking at the cz 452 silhouette an the remington 597 and the ruger10/22. whitch one would you recmmend an why

CZ 452, excellent rifle

http://aseutra.fi/english/index.html

go to "product"
    scroll down to "rimfire suppressor"
    click on link

WOW! Can these be bought online? or do any dealers here supply them?
    Great info on that link.

When I applied for my moderator I got a letter in the post
    from my super asking for EXACT details of the moderator in order
    for him to process my request (weird as I had a letter from my club saying
    I was a good standing member and they had no objections with me using a mod
    for health and safety reasons) so I posted
    him back a letter with the Make/Diameter/Length and type of thread.

Got a letter back saying I could use it along with the exact details I supplied.
    so I cant legally ditch my old mod and buy another without letting them know
    or changing my letter of approval.

~B

Bullets,

PM sent

hi i am looking at the cz now i just have two find out if i can get them in left handed have asked the dealer so wont no till monday. dose any 1 if they are hard two get .

thank you willie:)

hi i am looking at the cz now i just have two find out if i can get them in left handed have asked the dealer so wont no till monday. dose any 1 if they are hard two get .

CZ left handed may be a little difficult but are available:o

Semi-auto if you're left handed is not a good idea

hi do you no off any rifel in left handed that would be good . if i cant get it in cz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

I think bunny meant that in general semis would not suit a left handed shooter (most semis eject brass to the right), the 452 is a bolt action though not a semi so I can't see you having any problems with it. It would be a good idea to call into a club in your area so that you could try before you buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

hi do you no off any rifel in left handed that would be good . if i cant get it in cz.

the shop did not ring me yet steve :D

no they will ring on monday

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

That Ruger Bullpup Semi can be switched to left handed and back I believe, but they're supposedly rubbish.

You can get left handed CZ's for not much more than the standard model, Duffys can definitely get them as I was looking to get one a few months back.
    (And I will be getting one once all my other crap is sorted)

kowloon wrote: »
    That Ruger Bullpup Semi can be switched to left handed and back I believe, but they're supposedly rubbish.

You can get left handed CZ's for not much more than the standard model, Duffys can definitely get them as I was looking to get one a few months back.
    (And I will be getting one once all my other crap is sorted)

Forget anything with "bullpup" involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I'm coming a bit late to this thread but here goes anyway.

I won't talk about target shooting since I don't do it.

Hares have been well covered here too.

Besides target shooting, if your main hunting is going to be out after foxes I'd strongly suggest you get a centrefire rifle. To my mind a rimfire rifle is not suitable as a dedicated foxing rifle. They will do the job at certain ranges if you're ability is up to it, say if you're out shooting rabbits and a fox comes into handy range then well and good :). There are plenty of better calibres available to shoot foxes, all with their pro's and cons. .17Rem, .220SWIFT, .222, .223, .22-250 and .243.

I'd suggest you go for the rimfire first, get into target shooting and enjoy it. Then later on in the year apply for a centrefire rifle. I did much the same, except I started out with a shotgun in February then got my centrefire in November.

I can hold an inch at 100 yards with my .22lr when grouping it, around 1/2inch at 60 yards if memory serves me right. I've said it's range on foxes in the past to be 100 yards, I'm taking that back and replacing it with 80 ;) as due to field conditions I don't think the same result can always be guarenteed to be achieved.

HMR is a bit point and click alright, but I never see that as a con in any rifle. I've heard of a number of "splash" wounds on foxes with this, mostly due to 17 grain bullets placed in the wrong spot I'd say.

Just one mans opinion ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I hope I am not riding in on this intresting posts.But I just wanted to say Hi to you all ,this is my first post here. Have been shooting for awhile around Europe the States and Ireland.Have shotguns and rifles,plus the much covted handgun as well.Just new into these computor thingies,and stumbled on this website. Talk to you all soonest.
    Regds
    Grizzly 45

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

grizzly45 hello and welcome ask question anytime. steve

hi dose any no much about the ruger 10/22rb, as i am left handed i need 2 find a rifle that would suit me

thank you:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Forget anything with "bullpup" involved

True enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement