Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skoda Fabias - 8 valve and 16 valve? How to know

Options
  • 28-02-2008 5:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

Im tiring of looking for a good tdi 1.9 and might go for a smaller car.

But I want a very fuel efficient one.
    Ive heard the 8 valve are a disaster. Is there any 16 valve that are greater than a 1.2 ?

Also if some owns a combi what are people calling them on car zone? (no such drop down selection ) A hatchback?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the 8 valve 1.4 petrol are a disaster.
    1.2 models have a choice of 6 valve or 12 valve engines.

all TDI models should be light on fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

colm_mcm wrote: »
    1.2 models have a choice of 6 valve or 12 valve engines.

Are they 3 pots then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

It seems tdi is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There were two 1.4 litre units in the Fabia afaik. A 68bhp version and the very rare 100bhp version.

The 8 valve MPi 1.4 litre has Skoda origins, afaik it was a bored out version of the pushrod 1.3 litre found in the old Felicia/Favorit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

bazz26 wrote: »
    There were two 1.4 litre units in the Fabia afaik. A 68bhp version and the very rare 100bhp version.

The 8 valve MPi 1.4 litre has Skoda origins, afaik it was a bored out version of the pushrod 1.3 litre found in the old Felicia/Favorit.

There not that rare if you keep a look out and they are good fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

bazz26 wrote: »

There not that rare if you keep a look out and they are good fun..You can spot them easily.It says 16v in red in the usual place

the 8 valve units are badged MPI as fara as I remember,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

well if the op is looking for a good milage car the fabia may not be the way to go.
    Though the 1.4mpi engine does ok, the car is rather big (especialy the saloon/estate) to be drawn by just a 68bhp engine.
    I dont think my milage is that great.
    I've a 01 68bhp 16valve fabia saloon, mostly doing the commuting runs between dublin.
    I know I'm not a conservative driver but my mpg seems to be only 38-40mpg

Its still ag ood small family car though.

the 1.4 that you have is the one that's heavy on fuel, I think
    By all accounts the newer 1.2 HTP is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

1.2 litre 3 cylinder engine only arrived in 2003 afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

worded wrote: »
    Also if some owns a combi what are people calling them on car zone? (no such drop down selection ) A hatchback?
    An estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Yes the 8v is badged as MPI, also a bored out version of the 1.3 original skoda engine. The 1.2 12v is a 3 pot engine. Finding a 100bhp 1.4 would be tough enough here in Ireland, there are plenty availible in the UK.

Personally it would be a TDi for me unless you can find a 100bhp 1.4

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

I think I will look for a tdi
    Whats good in smaller cars?
    Is a golf turbo diesel good?

Need a big boot / was considering a 1.9 tdi Octavia / Passat but may go to a smaller car. There are FA decent 1.9 tdi Octavia / Passats around. Im tired looking at "immaculate" never waxed, shoddy interior and previously crashed sh1t.

Budget 6 – 10 K

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Advertisement