Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Drink Prices - Waterford Clubs

• 28-02-2008 5:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭

You wonder why people do not go out any more and drink in doors before headin out
    I notice it more as a Dj Nowadays clubs fill later and later and fridays not wat they used
    to be at all

Here is the price hike in the Niteclubs and late bars in Waterford since monday
    These are nearly up 20c on all drinks . Can this economy keep affording the hikes
    I mean there is only so much out there in the pockets ..

Vodka - 5.25
    Red Bull - 4.65
    So Double vodka red bull is now -€15.15
    Pt bottle bulmer - 6.20
    Smirnoff ice 6.60
    Splits - 2.95
    Pt Heinken - 5.20
    Pt Guinness - 5.10

I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I find it a little troubling that you took the time to catalogue these. :D Also I think you'll find it's: Pt bottle Bulmers - 6.20 and a mixer (Baby Soda/Tonic etc) is €2.35. If you meant splits (Coke etc), they are €2.95.

Edit: Also these are all club/late prices too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I don't find it troubling, I think its great some people are making sure there informed about such things, too many people just hand over the money without asking what the price is.

While the smoking ban has something to do with the drop in numbers of people going out the price of drink and the availability of off-licenses are certainly bigger factors,

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The price of drink has gone up in general, but I think Tweedy is increasing the price on all drinks to take advantage of it.

I meant it a little tongue in cheek as in "did you go to all Tweedy's pubs Sunday night and again Monday, get pissed and keep all your receipts for comparison?" :) I have to agree with you regarding people making informed choices as regards paying for drink. I'll be the first to state the ridiculousness of these prices but just remember its not the barperson's fault! (Next person to say "You should be wearing a balaclava" will be wearing their drink:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Cripes! it's €3.90 for a pint (stout) where I drink, and that's not the cheapest I know. I had no idea people paid that much for the privilege of being herded about. Think I'll stick to being bitter in ould fellas bars :)

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    The price of drink has gone up in general, but I think Tweedy is increasing the price on all drinks to take advantage of it.

That is true to a certain extent, but it is almost all suppliers who have raised their prices. Diageo are the worst for it. At least twice a year they raise their prices. Not sure if its true but I heard Downes' won't be stocking any Diageo products because of the latest increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭MrLuke

You wonder why people do not go out any more and drink in doors

I

well if the govt have their way we shall also be paying a lot more for booze bought to consume at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

I have never heard anyone say "I'm going to drink in place X instead of place Y" because of the price of drink.

The price of drink never even enters the equation. People are glad to pay the prices. You can easily get a late night drink in Waterford without paying in on the door these days, so you save there. In the past, there were only nightclubs -- no late opening bars -- and you often had to pay in at the door.

If you spend 2 hours on late prices and buy 4 drinks at €1 over the odds, that's a cost of 4 euro to you, that you wouldn't have to pay in a normal pub earlier in the evening. Not the end of the world by any means.

If you feel that the extra cost (of €4!) is not worth the music, convivial atmosphere, quality of venue, etc., that the premises has put on for you, then don't pay it. Nobody is putting a gun to your head.

I know that a lot of people have religious objections to certain venues, to the point that they forget they even exist, but there is reasonable choice in the city centre when it comes to late opening bars (even if most of them are owned by Tweedy):
    Kazbar
    Ruby's
    Ruby's Lounge
    Woodman
    Muldoons
    Oxygen
    Electric Avenue
    The Forum
    Harvey's
    that I can think of.

Some of them are in the same building, owned by the same guy, but very different venues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Dont forget that their prices go up after midnight. You only realise what your after paying if you find a couple of receipts in your pocket the next day.

I'd would just love it if people boycotted these pubs for a couple of weeks, give Tweedy a kick up the arse!

But it seems to me that if he charged €8 a pint people would still pay it..........Sheep!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

shockwave wrote:
    Dont forget that their prices go up after midnight.
    I thought that was illegal.

A friend of mine came down from Limerick on a night out and she thought the price of drink in Waterford was shocking, and she goes out most weekends in Limerick city.

• Advertisement

shockwave wrote: »
    Dont forget that their prices go up after midnight. You only realise what your after paying if you find a couple of receipts in your pocket the next day.

I'd would just love it if people boycotted these pubs for a couple of weeks, give Tweedy a kick up the arse!

But it seems to me that if he charged €8 a pint people would still pay it..........Sheep!

OK once and for all I'm settling this, the only places in the Tweedy Group where the prices go up after midnight are The Woodman, Ruby Lounge and Masons on a Saturday night. The prices do not go up at all in Muldoons/Oxygen or Rubys. It is in no way illegal either. Nobody complains about the prices going up in Abrakebra after 11 or 12. As for people being sheep, did it ever occur to you that people go to these places because they like them? I know they're far from being great but people vote with their wallets and no one is forcing you into these places. There are alternatives as pointed out above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭tubey

Weird that the person who started this thread actually works for the tweedy group.

tubey wrote: »
    Weird that the person who started this thread actually works for the tweedy group.

lol ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭jimmytheman

you can add Masons and Revolution to the late night list -
    u dont have to go to rubys to enjoy a good night out -

prices in Kazbar, Revolution and Electric Avenue have gone up by 20c per alcoholic drink - with is about in line with what suppliers put them up -
    and if the media are correct Irish Distillers have put all whiskeys up by 4% -
    and they are not raising the price off drinks to off licences - strange!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭lost_for_words

merlante wrote: »
    I have never heard anyone say "I'm going to drink in place X instead of place Y" because of the price of drink.

I say that all the time, and I'm not the only one either. Granted it's a combination of I'm not paying those prices as well as hating the venues. I'd rather pull my teeth out than go to the likes of Ruby's, Muldoon's or ****** and I definitely wouldn't want to pay what they ask for the service they provide (overpriced drink and what I think are for the most part useless dj's playing the same set every week).

The prices will keep going up as long as people are paying them though, a lot of that is probably to do with poor choice in this town too. I'd much rather have a good night out and not pay over the odds for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

MrLuke wrote: »
    well if the govt have their way we shall also be paying a lot more for booze bought to consume at home.

Its amazing my friend is just back from a country and a bottle of litre smirnoff was €7 and guesss wat was on the bottle

IMPORTED FROM DUBLIN

That doesnt mean i am happy about it.. I still have to drink and i am open to my own opinion on this and fully disagree with the price hike as its just gettin ridiculuos i Dj within the group and i notice numbers coming out late these days and these are the reasons i feel ..

They should be told this hike is wrong i already stated my case and said it was ridiculous . But hey thats this country for ya prices always go up up up.

I have nothing against the group but i have against what comes out of my pocket . And i am out tonight ill keep receipts and see how much a nite out for 2 costs these days in Town all bars

I also agree Diagio are takin the piss but if they go up 7 cent why do the clubs go up 20 cent ???????????

I dont know why it amazes u that i work in clubs . I also work for Treacys of Wexford and there prices are fine
    so why is Waterford Different I ask and i am fully entitled to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭jimmytheman

Its amazing my friend is just back from a country and a bottle of litre smirnoff was €7 and guesss wat was on the bottle

IMPORTED FROM DUBLIN

thats because there is 1% duty in france/spain/etc
    40% duty on cost here - plus 21% vat on sales price

( the most part useless dj's playing the same set every week).

Ouch :D:D#

Thank god i do wexford at weekends would not want to annoy ya with chart Dance, Hip Hop and Rnb.

Cant help what we play its what we are paid for TBH .. Big djs get paid for what they do club djs the same there has to be that balance im afriad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Looks like i'll have to stick to sneaking in a naggin for another while yet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭tubey

The people who complain about it should just stay home. The argument bores me. And Mr. Kelly, you should know that a company like Tweedys will have a helluva lot more overheads than places like treacys. Tweedy's seem to have become a lot more selective with their advertising this year..maybe things are getting a bit tight..or have they finally learned how to spend their money properly?

You have a right to speak up, it just surprised me that you did. I know you more through poker than anything else...but it seems to be that you have a cushy number in you djing...fair play i say

The people who complain about it should just stay home. The argument bores me. And Mr. Kelly, you should know that a company like Tweedys will have a helluva lot more overheads than places like treacys. Tweedy's seem to have become a lot more selective with their advertising this year..maybe things are getting a bit tight..or have they finally learned how to spend their money properly?

You have a right to speak up, it just surprised me that you did. I know you more through poker than anything else...but it seems to be that you have a cushy number in you djing...fair play i say

To be honest Djin is now a hobby more than work .. Good money but its just gettin annoyin seein people out so late these days
    Treacys have overheads as well but those overheads per venue would be the exact same i reckon bar paying back loans borrowed
    My point is that if drink prices leveled off we could all get out earlier .

By the way this is not a tweedy group rant as its all he late pubs increasin not just them . I understand i work for the group but it still fckin pissin me off that people can just walk all over people . I mean if cd prices go up does that mean i add 2 quid onto my wages each year will they give it ?????????? I doubt it very much.....

I feel that all publicans should look at how high drink is getting and stop purchasing goods from companies like diageo until they make a decision now i know that would be hard but if an off licence can sell a bottle of smirnoff ice @ 2.80 why is a pub 6.60 and an off licence works on about 20% profit margins on drink so that means nite clubs work on about 170% profit margins would i not be right

I mean Waterford and dublin have no comparison and yet drink prices are virtually the same . Cork is cheaper then waterford and has more deals for students etc .

My friend i have a dream - All drinks €3 everywhere lol

Looks like i'll have to stick to sneaking in a naggin for another while yet

Lol ..... :D

It's easier said than done to get rid of Diageo products in bars. It's not just Guinness, Bud, Carlsberg and Smithwicks. Its Smirnoff Vodka, Gordons Gin, Baileys, Archers Peach Schnapps and Captain Morgan Rum as well (Smirnoff Ice technically as well). You cant compare the price of drink in a club to an offie or even an early bar. The cost of a late license, extra staff and insurance all have to be taken into account and thats before maintenance costs, entertainment and utility bills. I think it's fair to say that no one wanted to put up the prices (least of all me) but it had to be done. And yes, the suppliers price increases didn't warrant a 20c increase but they will most probably put up their prices again this year and this will hopefully be absorbed as was done last year and the year before iirc.

Adyx wrote: »
    It's easier said than done to get rid of Diageo products in bars. It's not just Guinness, Bud, Carlsberg and Smithwicks. Its Smirnoff Vodka, Gordons Gin, Baileys, Archers Peach Schnapps and Captain Morgan Rum as well (Smirnoff Ice technically as well). You cant compare the price of drink in a club to an offie or even an early bar. The cost of a late license, extra staff and insurance all have to be taken into account and thats before maintenance costs, entertainment and utility bills. I think it's fair to say that no one wanted to put up the prices (least of all me) but it had to be done. And yes, the suppliers price increases didn't warrant a 20c increase but they will most probably put up their prices again this year and this will hopefully be absorbed as was done last year and the year before iirc.

By the way what venue did your prices go up in . Obviously u know me I used manage a few places in Town but that was too much work lol ...Do u work in a City Late BAR ?????

True True .... But how come if Diagio go up 7c then clubs must make it 20c ..
    This is not a rant more of a concern to what is happening to late scene in Waterford . I agree thats its nearly impossible to stop takin in Diageo products .. But how high can the prices go

I mean a 5 year projection brings a vodka to €6 going by the previous price hikes where will it stop id my point ??

Again i am not on a rant against Clubs as i work in them. I just dont like teh price Hikes which are coming year after year .

I understand that later bars are more expensive but your overheads are still the same but ur profit margins have increased. Why should an increase in Distiller prices extend an Publicans Profit margins . I mean 7c is what the diageo added but clubs add 20c

The reason people think its all to do with the Tweedy Group is because he owns alot of places and thats why it gets heated when u have a monopoly . I mean Harveys are the same and late bars in general in Waterford

I ask is Waterford Overpriced in comparison to other Cities ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

It is easy to get a vodka and mixer on a student night in cork for €3.90, can be as low as €2.90 someplaces, and you regularly see all drinks €3 nights for students, however sometimes deals are advertised but if its a busy night these deals are scrapped - i'll say no more

If anything Cork has gotten cheaper in the last twelve months due to the opening of two new night clubs

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Tweedy as far as I am aware, does a lot of good deals for students if they arrange a night out. Class Reps get in for free. I think there used to be various offers, but I cant recall if there still about.

By the way what venue did your prices go up in . Obviously u know me I used manage a few places in Town but that was too much work lol ...Do u work in a City Late BAR ?????

Yes I do know you. I work in a Tweedy late bar/club. I agree with what you're saying and I think that because Tweedy has pretty much a monopoly the increases were more than they should have been. But like I said this will hopefully (probably) be the only price increase this year while Diageo will have another increase later. This is what happened last year but we only put up our prices once. Also electricity, wages have all gone up as well. I do share your concern about what is happening because it will have a serious impact on the industry in the longterm and its not like I'm some student working part-time. The way prices are increasing can't be sustained but I have no say in the matter so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Adyx wrote: »
    You cant compare the price of drink in a club to an offie or even an early bar. The cost of a late license, extra staff and insurance all have to be taken into account and thats before maintenance costs, entertainment and utility bills. I think it's fair to say that no one wanted to put up the prices (least of all me) but it had to be done. And yes, the suppliers price increases didn't warrant a 20c increase but they will most probably put up their prices again this year and this will hopefully be absorbed as was done last year and the year before iirc.

Agree its unfair to compare nightclub prices to other bars but basing your argument on staff/late licence etc is utter nonsense,these costs are fairly uniform no matter the time of day,except of course the late license which if you're being honest is pittance in the grand scheme of things.
    How much is a late licence in waterford then?
    Any fool knows the reason for these ridiculous prices is because they can charge what they want and get away with it as long as the demand for these premises is there,and why wouldn't they?Me thinks the best of these days for nightclub owners has been and gone and latest price hikes are intended to maintain profits while selling a far smaller volume.

Vote with your feet people!

edit:I just looked back over those prices,F@CKING HELL!

• Advertisement

Agree its unfair to compare nightclub prices to other bars but basing your argument on staff/late licence etc is utter nonsense,these costs are fairly uniform no matter the time of day,except of course the late license which if you're being honest is pittance in the grand scheme of things.
    How much is a late licence in waterford then?

What argument? I stated several times that the increases were excessive. I'm not trying to justify the prices, I'm just trying to explain part of the reasoning behind them. Staff in the Tweedy group are fairly well paid. Better than most pubs in Waterford I would say. Its not just bar and floorstaff who get paid too. There's also store staff, office staff, contract cleaners, maintenance. People might not realise it but the Tweedy group is a fairly significant employer in Waterford.

I'm open to correction, but I believe a late license is about €250 for each late night. ie 7 nights a week for Muldoons and Ruby's and possibly only 1 night a week for Masons.

Again I'm not trying to justify the prices, just explain them.

Tweedy as far as I am aware, does a lot of good deals for students if they arrange a night out. Class Reps get in for free. I think there used to be various offers, but I cant recall if there still about.

Those offers all still apply in Masons and Oxygen. Those prices didn't go up.

Advertisement