Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Drink Prices - Waterford Clubs

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

Adyx wrote: »
    What argument? I stated several times that the increases were excessive. I'm not trying to justify the prices, I'm just trying to explain part of the reasoning behind them. Staff in the Tweedy group are fairly well paid. Better than most pubs in Waterford I would say. Its not just bar and floorstaff who get paid too. There's also store staff, office staff, contract cleaners, maintenance. People might not realise it but the Tweedy group is a fairly significant employer in Waterford.

I'm open to correction, but I believe a late license is about €250 for each late night. ie 7 nights a week for Muldoons and Ruby's and possibly only 1 night a week for Masons.

Again I'm not trying to justify the prices, just explain them.

Those offers all still apply in Masons and Oxygen. Those prices didn't go up.

Oxygen Prices are up thats where i work sure .. Im making a point of Waterford i n General including Harveys E.T.C i mean where will it stop ....
    Wexford is 30% Cheaper at the moment Dublin is about Level Par
    And Waterford is no Dublin.. Yes The tweedy Group is a superb employer and at no time would i knock the organisation on how its run ..

I am making the point that the Mark up on drink is excessive in My opionion and its getting to high for punters to come out early ......
    Who is this by the way sure u know this is Neill the Dj ,well so called lol:D

Again this is not a tweedy group rant but just looks that way as the group owns so many places in town , Harveys is crazy also a dash of Cordial in harvey is fckin €2 or something and prices jump after 12 o clock

Should there be a regulator for drink prices i ask before this gets out of hand
    and we all end up spendin a weeks wages on a nite out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Oxygen Prices are up thats where i work sure .. Im making a point of Waterford i n General including Harveys E.T.C i mean where will it stop ....

When people feel that they are not getting value for money, it will stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Oxygen Prices are up thats where i work sure ..

Yeah me too.. (Brian) I was replying to Sully's post about student offers. The prices on these (such as vodka & splash) haven't gone up. I know you're not on a rant against the Tweedy Group and I do agree with you but other posters on this thread seem to think its pure greed and abuse of a monopoly when clearly there are other factors such as what I mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭tubey

Wexford is 30% Cheaper at the moment Dublin is about Level Par
    And Waterford is no Dublin.. Yes The tweedy Group is a superb employer and at no time would i knock the organisation on how its run ..

I am making the point that the Mark up on drink is excessive in My opionion and its getting to high for punters to come out early ......
    Who is this by the way sure u know this is Neill the Dj ,well so called lol:D

Again this is not a tweedy group rant but just looks that way as the group owns so many places in town , Harveys is crazy also a dash of Cordial in harvey is fckin €2 or something and prices jump after 12 o clock

Should there be a regulator for drink prices i ask before this gets out of hand
    and we all end up spendin a weeks wages on a nite out.

Your initial post was very anti-tweedy group...but then you edited it. That's why I was surprised. Maybe you were typing under the influence and realised it could get you in trouble with your employers? I work in a rival bar to tweedy but i still wouldn't be bothered to slag the place off cause I go to rubys/masons alot...

tubey wrote: »
    Your initial post was very anti-tweedy group...but then you edited it. That's why I was surprised. Maybe you were typing under the influence and realised it could get you in trouble with your employers? I work in a rival bar to tweedy but i still wouldn't be bothered to slag the place off cause I go to rubys/masons alot...

Trouble Lol mate im 28 and fully entitled to my opinion on Drinks prices within an organisation i drink out of even if i do work there and if brought up i would also argue my case with whom ever would like to ask why i brought it up ..My original post was directed at Not just Tweedy Group but all of Waterford to be honest .. Its not slagging a place off by the way its about being objective to the fact that Waterford in General is in no way justifying those increases in Drink prices .. We do not have the choice of Dublin ..

By the way i barely drink so not under the infuence and i edited names incase my prices were not 100% acurate but i am in no doubt they are ..My affiliation within the group is through Music as a Dj and i also work for 2 other clubs in Wexford and have no problem with all prices in wexford as they are realistic .

I mean Tourists will soon see that Waterford is becoming increasingly overpriced in todays Market . I have the same issues in a few bars but the fact is all bars are owned by the same person nearly ..

Prices have just become ridiculous ..

What the Group do for Employment is great and should be applauded im not slating the Group just Waterford Drink Prices as the thread says

P.s my post was edited so it did not look one sided which when i read back it did so

You say u work for a Rival .. To be honest with the amount of places in Tweedy group there is only 2 real rivals
    Harveys and Revolution ...and i like to call them competitors so which one u wrkin in?? Any chance of ur prices ??

Geoffs and Electric avenue are different crowds

Neill K

• Advertisement

Yeah me too.. (Brian) I was replying to Sully's post about student offers. The prices on these (such as vodka & splash) haven't gone up. I know you're not on a rant against the Tweedy Group and I do agree with you but other posters on this thread seem to think its pure greed and abuse of a monopoly when clearly there are other factors such as what I mentioned.

Ah Brian good to see someone has an eduacational mind in the Group ;);)
    U can see it yourself what waterford is becoming a raelly late bar trend ... They just aint comin out early anymore and to be fair i know ye have no choice in the matter of drink increase as bourky even looked shocked with what the prices are now ..... But hey thats it now and i doubt they will ever come down

Sooner a regulator comes in like taxis to agree fixed prices that cannot be overcharged the better for all of us ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

What argument? I stated several times that the increases were excessive. I'm not trying to justify the prices, I'm just trying to explain part of the reasoning behind them. Staff in the Tweedy group are fairly well paid. Better than most pubs in Waterford I would say. Its not just bar and floorstaff who get paid too. There's also store staff, office staff, contract cleaners, maintenance. People might not realise it but the Tweedy group is a fairly significant employer in Waterford.

I'm open to correction, but I believe a late license is about €250 for each late night. ie 7 nights a week for Muldoons and Ruby's and possibly only 1 night a week for Masons.

Again I'm not trying to justify the prices, just explain them.

Those offers all still apply in Masons and Oxygen. Those prices didn't go up.

Fair enough,looked like you're trying to justify the extortion.
    I managed late bars in Dublin for years and always had a good laugh at the late licence excuse been prattled out.
    The licence is relatively cheap and a small investment to bars to rape well oiled punters late at night.
    Many will pay these prices at 1am but how many will pay silly money for a drink after work?
    You say you're just trying to explain the prices,come on these prices are comical and anyone who even remotely believes they are justified needs their head examined.

Neil,a few years back there was a price freeze inflicted by the government for a relatively short period of time,but as far as i know after the threshold date passed they never considered implementing it again.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I say leave the pubs keep raising prices above what the Gov is setting and leave them come up with all the excuses in the world, at the end of the day if that pisses off people and that affects the business then so be it, the pubs are the only one's at fault.

what else have the pubs bitched and moaned about over the years:
    - Vintners wanted an ID card that they would accept as proof of age for people buying drink, Gov introduces Age Card for a small fee of about 6e and this should do the job...Oxygen, Rubys etc refuse to accept the Age Card and instead want people to use passports.

Now I'm sorry but a passport is a VERY important document and isn't something anybody should be bring with them on a night out, course it would "appear" they are now accepting Age Cards once more but over the years I've been stopped atleast 4 times and was told an Age Card wasn't good enough and only a passport would do.

- Smoking Ban, ah yes the old story of Gov bans smoking and pubs bitch and moan, lets not forget the Gov for years has been trying to get Vintner members to improve pub ventilation so that smoke in the air would be less of a factor.

Did pubs invest they money needed for good ventilation to improve the air....did they f*ck!...maybe a hand full but in the end the vast majority did not despite being given the chance.

Now you gota wounder, if Vintners members had invested the proper amount of money in venting would the smoking ban have come in when it did, my view is it most likely would have been delayed a few years at least :)

The licence is relatively cheap and a small investment to bars to rape well oiled punters late at night.
    Many will pay these prices at 1am but how many will pay silly money for a drink after work?

Nobody's asking anyone to pay these prices after work. Masons, the Woodman and Ruby Lounge all have early prices and Muldoon's doesn't open till 9. In fact people don't have to pay these prices at all. Everyone can go home at 12. People choose to pay these prices because we provide a service and entertainment that would otherwise be unavailable at that time. The license itself may not be very expensive but the other costs that go with it are.
    Ah Brian good to see someone has an eduacational mind in the Group
    Why thank you!:)
    Cabaal wrote:
    Oxygen, Rubys etc refuse to accept the Age Card and instead want people to use passports.
    Tbh that only happens rarely. The Age Card is an acceptable form of ID obviously but it is open to abuse. If someone with an age card is refused, it's not because age cards aren't acceptable, it's because that persons age card isn't acceptable. Remember ROAR.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Tbh that only happens rarely. The Age Card is an acceptable form of ID obviously but it is open to abuse. If someone with an age card is refused, it's not because age cards aren't acceptable, it's because that persons age card isn't acceptable. Remember ROAR.

So your telling me that if I go to a nightclub (merlins at the time) and they say there only accepting Passports that there actually just saying that my age card isn't good enough.......both you and I know that thats complete bollox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

tbh Andyx & Cabaal I'd think, if they didn't accept the age card it was because there was something wrong with the way you were dressed or the they just didn't like the look of you. But since you can nolonger stop someone from entering a bar or night club on discrimination grounds the age card is an easy excuse.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

trishw78 wrote: »
    tbh Andyx & Cabaal I'd think, if they didn't accept the age card it was because there was something wrong with the way you were dressed or the they just didn't like the look of you. But since you can nolonger stop someone from entering a bar or night club on discrimination grounds the age card is an easy excuse.

Exactly. Age Cards to work in these places, I have used them in the past! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Adyx,the fact that you are referring to the regular prices as 'early prices' should be of great concern to your customers as this reflects a certain mindset.

Your greed will be the undoing of your business' in the long run and your petty and standard explanations are complete bullsh1t tbh,and anyone with an ounce of common sense will see it for what it is,poor us we have to pay staff,rent life's not fair.

Adyx,the fact that you are referring to the regular prices as 'early prices' should be of great concern to your customers as this reflects a certain mindset.

Your greed will be the undoing of your business' in the long run and your petty and standard explanations are complete bullsh1t tbh,and anyone with an ounce of common sense will see it for what it is,poor us we have to pay staff,rent life's not fair.

I referred to them as early prices because thats what they are - the prices used in The Woodman, Masons and Ruby Lounge early ie before 12.30. Its a commonly used description.

I already told you I don't agree with the level of the increases so why would I need to bullsh*t anyone? Everything I stated is a fact. Our suppliers prices went up, our wage costs went up, utility costs went up therefore our prices went up. We're a business, we're supposed to make a profit. Nobody's looking for sympathy and nobody's particularly happy about the prices but at the end of the day we do have to make money and if people don't like it they can go elsewhere.

Cabaal wrote: »
    So your telling me that if I go to a nightclub (merlins at the time) and they say there only accepting Passports that there actually just saying that my age card isn't good enough.......both you and I know that thats complete bollox

No.. what I meant is a more roundabout version of what trishw78 said. They weren't accepting your age card because they didn't want to let you in. ;)

Merlins was a different time as well. So much has changed since then - mostly for the better (eg change of ownership). Nobody should have any trouble with an age card now except if it's not their own or fake or if they are drunk/just plain undesirable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭jimmytheman

with reguard to prices - isnt milk gone up 30%, bread 25% -
    im a regular drinker at weekends in Kazbar, Revolution, Harvery & Rubys

Kazbar pint is 4.80 - Rev - 4.70
    Vodka in Kazbar - 4.75 - Rev - 4.70

Shot jaegermeister - Rev 4.50 - Rubys 5.25
    Red Bull Rev - 4.00 Kaz- 4.20 - Rubys 4.85

but i appriciate no door charge in Kaz, Rev & Harvery -
    I go to Rubys - but €10 at 1am is a bit crazy -

but in DEFENCE OF THEM -Havanna Browns on Sat Night in Cork - €15 adm
    OUCH!!! and it was packed!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Anon0000

I mean there is only so much out there in the pockets ..

I
    Says your man who takes money off people with gambling problems lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭halfinch

I understand that costs have gone up by 7c, but does that excuse the crazy prices we pay accross the board in Waterford. Waterford property is worth alot less that the likes of Cork or Dublin so their over heads would be much lower as would the cost of wages etc. Yet we pay the same for alchohol as you would expect in Temple Bar.Yet for the last number of year prices in most Waterford pubs have been too high. In the last number of years the monopoly that tweedy has on this town means that the other competitors will charge similar as the punters will be paying it anyway. Went to a club down in Cork and paid €4.20 for a bottle of bulmers and that was in November at 1.30am....

Yes the costs have gone up for the buisness but they are no means scrapping the barrel to pay the bills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mark81

I have to totally agree with Big Slick and fair play to you for speaking out, especially when you work for Tweedy, and I totally agree, Its not Rip off Ireland , Its rip off Waterford, I used be a dj in clubs as well, and by far people are not going to clubs and If they do its very late, Prices are a joke on drink, I would love to see a new club come in Waterford in a good location and give Tweedy a run for his money, If club owners want to keep their clubs busy and good numbers entering the club on a Friday and sat night, stop screwing people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 BillyBobWinters

In Liverpool at weekend, a double vodka (50ml) and coke is £2.70 (€3.60) in most pubs at most times and even at the most expensive spots (strip clubs) it works out at £7 (€9.33)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭jimmytheman

never mind the drink prices ---was in cork last weekend and paid €15 into a night club ----then lads wanted to go elsewhere and paid €7 into a LATE BAR ----hope waterford dosent folllow suit

Advertisement