Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

someone point me in the right direction please???

Options
  • 28-02-2008 10:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭

i have been called up for jury duty at the end of March just when i'm about to snowed under with coursework and exams so i need to take get out of doing it...

i'm pretty certain as a student i'm excused from doing it but i'm probably going to need some sort of letter to confirm this

who would i get a letter from for this? Programme office? My head of schools?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

I believe you can get a letter proving your attendance from somewhere in the Teirney (sp?) Building (opposite Arts in case you've never been in there before).

If all else fails ask someone in the SU corridor about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Stokes

I don't think a letter is necessary. If you ring the body who got in touch with you and tell them you are a student, it should be enough - its all i had to do a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭xeroshero

I was called to do it the week before Christmas, during my exams. Just get a letter from the admin building. Easy, only takes a sec, they'll know exactly what you looking for....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

If you can't get a letter it doesn't matter as you can fail to attend and just pay a small fine. And that's very straightforward too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I think it's far simpler to just prove you're a student rather than spend precious cash for the sake of not getting a letter.

Admin are good for letters, in fairness to them i've never had trouble with getting really random letters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I was called up for jury service last term too, lots of fun when you're in final year! Just tell the person at the student desk in the teirney building that you want letter confirming your attendance and why you want it, will be no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Or you could suck it up and do it? Most juries now consist of OAPs and the unemployed because everyone else tries to get out of it one way or another...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Yes because doing it right when you have a load of coursework to do is so practical and easy to do and it's worth possibly messing your GPA and miss deadlines for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

cheers guys, i'll head over to the admin building tomorrow and annoy them :)
    Tayto2000 wrote: »
    Or you could suck it up and do it? Most juries now consist of OAPs and the unemployed because everyone else tries to get out of it one way or another...

well i'm final year and i actually think i might have a presentation on the same day i'm called, i'm selected for the special criminal court so the last thing i need at the end of my degree is to end up in some 4 week trial for some accused chainsaw mass murderer or something :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 archplanner

Just write in the form telling them your a full-time student in UCD. It's one of the allowed excuses, you don't need to do anything else. You'll get a reply saying you're excused from duty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement