Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cyclists & Mopeds in Contraflow Bus Lanes

Options
  • 28-02-2008 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

OK - Every day on my way out of work I have to cross Leeson Street from Leeson Lane. This is from a small side road just before Leeson St. reached the green.

This is a perilous maneouvre and in the past year I have probably come close to knocking down a cyclist or moped; yes its my fault for not properly observing the situation, but I'm not totally to blame as they shouldnt be there in the first place.

Basically the problem is this; the first peril to get past is the busy line of pedestrians which constantly cross the road as they walk down Leeson St. - many people will happily walk around the front of your car as you're trying to catch a break in the traffic. Then if someone does flash you to let you out, you have to contend with the fact that there are two lanes of traffic, and that people in the left lane will often take this opportunity to change into the right lane. It's a nightmare, so once you've finally inched out enough far enough so that most people are walking behind your car, someone flashes you to let you out, check that someone in the left lane on leeson st isnt going to take the space you've been left in traffic, quick glance right to check for buses and cars, glance left, no suicidal pedestrians, foot down ****!!!!!! where did that fooking cycle courier/moped come from!! Part of the problem is that once they hit this open stretch of bus lane they easily thake their speed up to 20-25mph which is suicidal in rush hour traffic.

Anyway here's is the law;
    Bus Lanes
    32. (1) A bus lane shall be indicated by means of traffic sign number RUS 028 or traffic sign number RUS 029 used in association with traffic sign number RRM 024, and a contra flow bus lane shall be indicated by means of traffic sign number RUS 030 used in association with traffic sign number RRM 024.

(2) A person shall not enter a bus lane with a vehicle other than an omnibus or a pedal cycle during the period of operation of the bus lane which shall be indicated on an information plate.

(3) A person shall not enter a contra flow bus lane with a vehicle other than an omnibus.

(4) A person shall not enter a bus only street with a vehicle other than an omnibus except for the purpose of access.

(5) ( a ) Sub-articles (1) and (2) shall not apply to a vehicle crossing a with flow bus lane or a contra flow bus lane solely for the purpose—

(i) of entering or leaving premises or property adjacent to such a bus lane, or

(ii) of entering or leaving a road inset adjacent to such a bus lane in order to load or unload goods.

( b ) Sub-article (2) shall not apply to a taxi or a wheelchair accessible taxi which is being used in the course of business.

So I was talking with workmates about this and they agreed that it was very dangerous and that is was only a matter of time before they had an accident also; but then they disagreed with me that this was a contraflow bus lane!! That is was simply just a two way road but that the lane going south was buses only. Unlike a contraflow bus lane which is a two way road, but with a third lane going against the flow of traffic. So, that certainly muddys the water as I can see their point.

Simply, would you consider Leeson St to have a contra flow bus lane?

and if it is, why isnt anyone enforcing the no cyclists/mopeds - as its hugely dangerous.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

It is a contra flow bus lane, but is there not a cycle lane marked on it also?

I have seen taxis being pulled on this stretch as they aren't meant to be on it either.

Nothing is done about cyclists breaking laws anywhere in town, or elsewhere for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Hmm.... just looked out the window... and yes there is. Bus lane stripe with a dashed line 1.5m from the curb... well that ruins my morning... still pretty dangerous though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Nothing is done about cyclists breaking laws anywhere in town, or elsewhere for that matter.
    In my experience, in proportion to their numbers, cyclists contravene the road traffic regulations by a much greater extent than any other group of road users.
    Tails142 wrote: »
    Hmm.... just looked out the window... and yes there is. Bus lane stripe with a dashed line 1.5m from the curb... well that ruins my morning... still pretty dangerous though.
    It must be a cycle track then - not a cycle lane. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

In my experience, in proportion to their numbers, cyclists contravene the road traffic regulations by a much greater extent than any other group of road users.

I completly agree but enforcment for this group is also much lower than any other group of road users.

I'm exactly the same when I'm cycling, red lights are just a suggestion;) etc
    However the one thing I won't do is cycle on the footpath, this really annoys me, while cycling or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

bear in mind that the road system is designed almost exclusively for motorists (the odd token cycle lane aside). For cyclists and pedestrians to make any progress they generally have to bend the rules - they're already travelling at a much slower pace and are less protected than motorists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Not true. I've seen a cyclist stopped by a garda on Drury St. for cycling the wrong way down a one way street. The cyclist dismounted and attempted to continue up Drury st in the same direction pushing the bike. The garda made her get back on her bike and go the correct direction down the street. I thought the punishment was appropriate and an example of common sense policing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I see cyclists stopped for not wearing lights quite regularly. The junction between D'olier street and the quays seems to be a common place for checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I've been stopped myself on a bicycle a few times, so it does happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Tails142 wrote: »
    many people will happily walk around the front of your car as you're trying to catch a break in the traffic. ....so that most people are walking behind your Anyway here's is the law;
    Here's another law:
    (2) When starting from a stationary position a driver shall yield the right of way to other traffic and pedestrians.

(3) A driver of a vehicle approaching a road junction shall yield the right of way to another vehicle which has commenced to turn or cross at the junction in accordance with these Regulations and to a pedestrian who has commenced to cross at the junction

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

OP- As others have said, the cyclists are allowed to be in that particular lane, so you really should be looking out and more careful. There is nothing particularly unsafe about it other than your not paying proper attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Not true. I've seen a cyclist stopped by a garda on Drury St. for cycling the wrong way down a one way street. The cyclist dismounted and attempted to continue up Drury st in the same direction pushing the bike. The garda made her get back on her bike and go the correct direction down the street. I thought the punishment was appropriate and an example of common sense policing.

Didn't know the Garda were allowed serve punishments? I though they were supposed to enforce the law and punishment was reserved for a court and judge. Another example of our so very unprofessional police force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

pete4130 wrote: »
    Didn't know the Garda were allowed serve punishments? I though they were supposed to enforce the law and punishment was reserved for a court and judge. Another example of our so very unprofessional police force.
    That's not a punishment. That's a Garda exercising his legal power to direct traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I've been stopped myself on a bicycle a few times, so it does happen.

Curious what you keep on doing regardless? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

BostonB wrote: »
    Curious what you keep on doing regardless? :)
    Different situations, most of the time my fault, sometimes not quite as much my fault. Red lights mainly. I don't normally go through them, I'm quite good at balancing on the bike without moving, so I normally practice at lights. Times I've gone threw lights is when the roads are empty. I'm not getting into a discussion over this, it'd just go around in circles.

Advertisement