Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Road bikes - moderate budget!

Options
  • 28-02-2008 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am in the market for a decent road bike that i will use for a few triathlons i have lined up this year and also Sunday cycles with friends etc. My budget is anything around 800 - 1300 but most important thing is value for money. Id stretch to 1300 if i was getting better value etc. I have been offered a 2nd hand Trek 5000 for 1300 with the clips and then would need to get shoes for 50 - 100 so that is stretching it a bit. I'm told the bike has hardly been used and trust that judgement. Its a 54 frame and i'm 6'1 or so. He said that might be a bit small but said it may do (going to try the bike out first). At 1000 i can get the Trek 1500 with the shoes and clips. What would be best? For that money would they be best? Also i think i should really be looking at a 56 or 57 frame yes?

Thanks a mil for any comments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The Trek 5000 is a great bike (I had one myself) but 54cm is almost certainly way too small for 6'1. I'm 6'0 and cycle 58cm in Trek. 56cm might be an option for me but I think you would be looking at 58cm definately.

Have you considered the Focus Cayo from wiggle.co.uk? Full carbon Ultegra SL for ~1300 with the low GBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

thanks the the reply. these tyopics probably come up here so often btu i haven been reading them for ideas too ;-)

The salesman did say its probably too small but he could lower the front or something and i can take it for an hour around thwe park on saturday to try it out also. is 1300 reasonable for a 2nd hand one. he says the guy bought it and decided he didnt want it after 6 weeks so he ant really budge on the price cos he's selling it on the owners behalf. what aboyut the 1500 for 1000 with shoes and clips? he can get that in a 57 which he says i should probably be getting

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

Hi,
    I have a Trek 5000, it is a 58cm and fits me perfectly(6 Foot). As regards pricing I bought mine on the internet in November 2006 for 1800 euro so I would imagine they the bike you are looking at for 1300 euro is a bit over-priced.
    By the way, an excellent bike.....

cheers for the comment. i was thinking it might be a bit pricey myself and the size is also against it at only 54. think i might start looking at the trek 1500 a little more. how is €1000 on that with new shoes and clips?

I too got mine on the internet in CRC's sale but RRP on the Trek 5000 in Ireland was €2,350. As such if it is basically new and you are getting it from a local bike shop who will provide service/backup, I would say €1,300 is a good deal. Certainly not overpriced. But TBH it is academic as 54cm will be too small for you.

• Advertisement

pity about the size so. i think ill have to let that one slide. trek 1500 it is now so. is 1000 with shoes and clips good? he said 900 for the bike (supposed to be 1000) and he'll throw in clips and shoes for 100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Freddy687

If you are going for trek 1.5 have alook and see if it has any of the Shimano 105 gear fitted.
    It seems that some have been fitted with this, which is a surprise as this all but makes it a trek 1.7.
    The 1.5 normally has the Tiagra set fitted, so the 105 set would be a nice bonus.:)

Trek overhauled their range for 2008, replacing the 1xxx series etc. with 1.x. The 1.x are majorly downgraded compared to their 2007 equivalents; a 1500 (full Ultegra) is way above the new "1.5." (Tiagra)

I test rode a 1500 myself before I got the 5000. It was a nice bike, on sale at I think around €1,400, full Ultegra, but I found it a bit harsh, in the same way I found my original 1000 harsh. I think most alu bikes will be this way though. It certainly felt very light and nimble. Shifting etc. was very smooth and good. €900 for the bike without pedals would certainly be a decent price, I was looking at a lot more than that a year ago. Shoes and pedals for €100 is also very reasonable.

For a triathlon I imagine you will do just as well on a 1500 as a 5000; the bike just mightn't be quite as comfortable for a full day in the saddle but then you guys are all about the pain in any case ;-)

The components on the 1500 are actually marginally better than the 5000 (Ultegra shifters vs. 105 on the 5000, maybe a few other bits), you just have the aluminum frame instead of carbon.

EDIT: Hang on, better check the groupset- I test rode a full-Ultegra Trek 1500 series last year (Discovery Team paint) but looking at their web archive and forums, it seems some 1500s were Ultegra 9-speed and some 105 10-speed. Either way, it is probably a reasonable price.

Cool the 1.5 (1500) it is so i think. I might see if he has any older ones if the 2008 model is that inferior!?

i'm told the 1.5 has a Tiagra set? That any use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Shimano market their groupsets in the following order, Sora being the entry level:

Sora, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra and Dura Ace.
    Bambaata wrote: »

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Bambaata wrote: »

Big difference between it and 105 (the next step up) is that its 9 speed rather than 10 speed. Some people say the shifting is sloppier than with the higher end stuff, but to be honest anyone I know who's had it hasn't complained.

The 1.5 is a completely different bike, way below the previous 1500. It's equivalent to the 1.7 or even 1.9 (depending on the spec, as I say I test rode a full Ultegra 1500 which would be equivalent to the new 1.9.)

Advertisement