Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Broadband - wireless modem

Options
  • 28-02-2008 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Hi,

First of all apologies for been a bit confused when it comes to broadband.

Just moved house and have got Eircom to connect a new line and have now ordered the 5MB bradband from Smart just today.

The process from Eircom to Smart was grand and hopefully everything runs smooth when it comes to changing bill for the line rental.

Anyways, my query is, the new phone line is in the sitting room and Smart supply the connection cables for the laptop. However, we would like to use the broadband throughout the house and was wondering how to go about this?

The lad from Smart said we would have to get a wireless modem so we could use the broadband throughout the house and said we'd have to call technical support when everything was set up and we had the wireless modem to configurate it - i just wanted to know what this involved and if a IT Challenged person (like me) would have any problems?? :o

Also, any advie on the type of wireless modem to get would be great because there seems to be loads of them :confused:

Any advice would be great - cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Eircom use ADSL and Smart is using the better ADSL2+ and the Router are not compatible.

The best Wireless router to get is a Linksys WRT54GL {or WRT54GS } which sells for ~40€-50€ online or ~60€ in shops.
    For is your on a budgets a Sweex is also good, MaxBurn on the Bachelors Walk, Peats, Malpin, Currys and PCWorld should have them.
    Jugs82 wrote: »
    Hi,

First of all apologies for been a bit confused when it comes to broadband.

Just moved house and have got Eircom to connect a new line and have now ordered the 5MB bradband from Smart just today.

The process from Eircom to Smart was grand and hopefully everything runs smooth when it comes to changing bill for the line rental.

Anyways, my query is, the new phone line is in the sitting room and Smart supply the connection cables for the laptop. However, we would like to use the broadband throughout the house and was wondering how to go about this?

The lad from Smart said we would have to get a wireless modem so we could use the broadband throughout the house and said we'd have to call technical support when everything was set up and we had the wireless modem to configurate it - i just wanted to know what this involved and if a IT Challenged person (like me) would have any problems?? :o

Also, any advie on the type of wireless modem to get would be great because there seems to be loads of them :confused:

Any advice would be great - cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Configuring smart for wireless is pretty easy, just a matter of putting your smart settings into the new wireless router, and then setting up encryption on your wireless signal to stop houses around you leeching off your connection - if you need any help then just swing over to the smart support forum: http://support.smarttelecom.ie/support.
    You'll get plenty of help there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Cheers for the help guys - really appreciated :)

Advertisement