Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

San Franscico

• 28-02-2008 11:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭

Getting a little ahead of myself here but I'm off on holidays to California at the start of August so registered for the SF Marathon on 3 August. Looks like a cool one to do. Starts at 5.30am though. Anyone here run this before?

I also applied for NY ballot. If I get that it'll be three marathons this year including London!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Marathon_Man

Ran it in 2005. I enjoyed it though the start is at a brutal time. They started it at 0520 that year! Make sure you have a hotel that's within walking distance. Might be an idea to get a few very early morning long runs in during training.

Because the weather in the summer can be quite misty you could end up being quite wet until the sun comes out. Have a few photos of myself at the early stages and look soaked to the skin. Nice when the sun comes out though and it's not hot.

We went over the Golden Gate bridge but because it was so early the visibility was really poor. Got back a few days later when the mist had burnt off and it's a beautiul sight.

Route had a few hills but nothing too severe. Not a lot of spectators that early in the morning. Seem to remember thay had some bands / music at various points on the route.

SF is a nice place. Down to LA on the costal route is really cool but mist can ruin it a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I did a bit of running in SF last year and when I looked the marathon course up, I cycled it while we were there. There will be a couple of short sharp climbs on the course but otherwise looks like a great race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭robbicosta

I think SF won a few runners world awards or so their website says. I spent two summers in SF in 2000 and 2001 and I absolutely love the place. Looking forward to going back there for a holiday as well as the marathon. I walked the Golden Gate Bridge a few times but running it should be a fantastic experience.

Advertisement