Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

360 HD cable?

• 28-02-2008 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

I bought the basic 360 console recently and its great! but somebody has told me that i should get a HDMI cable and it will look twice as good(but it costs €150). I seen 'Official XBox 360 Component HD AV Cable' online for £17. will this do it? and is it worth buying?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

You didn't look hard enough if you saw a hdmi cable for €150. You can get them anywhere from €10+ depending on where you shop. Try Ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

150 for a 'Official XBox 360 Component HD AV Cable' are u mad. im embarassed that u even posted this topic.

would u like to buy some magic beans ?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭johnnyflav

would u like to buy some magic beans ?:D

Can I have piece of that magic bean action?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

No need to be so patronising to the guy!

OP, you can pick up HDMI cables for €10-€20. Virgin, Game, Tesco etc all sell them.

The picture quality is better than a regular connection, but not all XBox's can support HDMI - it's a new addition to only certain models of the console so buying a HDMI cable may be pointless. Also, the component HD AV connection is not the same as HDMI. What model do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

Just joking with the guy, relax.
    stop triyng to be a mod.

• Advertisement

stek wrote: »
    I bought the basic 360 console recently and its great! but somebody has told me that i should get a HDMI cable and it will look twice as good(but it costs €150). I seen 'Official XBox 360 Component HD AV Cable' online for £17. will this do it? and is it worth buying?

Yeah, as said above, the best pic will be with a HDMI cable to a Full HD TV. If you 'only' have a HD ready TV, then any of the HDMI/Component/VGA cables will give you a fantastic(and best possible) pic.

The HD cables are only going to improve your pic with a HD TV, so before you buy, maybe you can tell us what kind of TV you have, and the model of Xbox 360. If you have a SD CRT, the best picture you'll get is with the advanced scart cable.

Either way, with any of the options above, you shouldn't pay any more than €15/€20 for a cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭stek

my tv is a hdmi lcd tv, the xbox has a hdmi port but I noticed that the original av cable thats in there is blocking the hdmi port! I guess this means I will have to but another cable for the sound? (cute hoors!)
    And i presume there are no other settings in need to change(on the xbox)?

Thanks for your help, Im a novice with these consoles..

Yeah, if you use HDMI between your console and TV, I think you can send the sound through it too. (I know you can with the PS3)

If you want to send the sound through a surround system you'll have to buy an additional adapter (they can be trickly enough to come by)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

if you've got surround sound, use HDMI for the picture and an optical cable for the sound. If you've not go surround sound, no need to worry about anything, as HDMI takes care of both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

HDMI carrys sound as well , up to 8 channels of it , it will depend whats on the disc , if you dont have a surround system already , then look for one with HDMI input , then you just need one HDMI cable and it will do everything.

Electronics shops and just about everyone else is taking advantage of the fact that HDMI is new and claiming that there is such a thing as a difference in quality between cables , there isnt , its a con , get the cheapest one you can , at less than 10 meters they are all identical in performance no matter what anyone tells you.

Argos do one for 7 euros , its an all digital connection and it will do exactly the same job as any other cable with no difference in sound or picture quality.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Is there a HDMI cable adaptor for the 360? Dont the people who make HDMI not allow an alterations to it? Last I checked my 360 doesnt have a hdmi port.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Newer 360s have HDMI.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭davidtobin100

I've tried both component and HDMI on my 40 inch LCD and there is little to no difference. It really depends on whether your 360 is an old or new model. Go for the cheap HDMIs in argos though - there are no differences between a lead for €10 and a lead for €150 unless you are using a really big screen/projector and a studio-standard quality speaker system. The only thing to be careful about the cheap leads is length. I had to go for the €14 HDMI in Argos rather than the €7 simply to have enough length to reach from the 360 at the bottom of my TV stand to the socket in the TV.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Stephen wrote: »
    Newer 360s have HDMI.

Can you get older xbox hooked up via HDMI? Not really bothered but I wouldnt mind if I could

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

the xbox elite has a hdmi port but the old on can be hooked up to a hd tv through a component hd cable.

so seein that u have the basic xbox you should just get a component cable (ie the one with the blue green and red connectors).

for my money i'd agree with davidtobin100 theres feck all difference on a hd tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

As far as I know there's no way to get HDMI on older xboxes, as they just don't have the necessary hardware. I've an older one too. I use the VGA cable and it looks great.

jcoote wrote: »
    the xbox elite has a hdmi port but the old on can be hooked up to a hd tv through a component hd cable.

so seein that u have the basic xbox you should just get a component cable (ie the one with the blue green and red connectors).

for my money i'd agree with davidtobin100 theres feck all difference on a hd tv

I have it hooked up through vga

Advertisement