Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic Website Design Package

Options
  • 28-02-2008 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

How much would you quote, for just a basic package, design only, with 5 pages, few Flash animations...website design and upload only, without programming...
    TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Whatever your hourly rate is by the number of hours its going to take you
    Add on 20% - 25% and add on costs of materials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

Rhodney wrote: »
    How much would you quote

How good are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Rhodney

heggie wrote: »
    How good are you?

maybe not the best, but not the worst too..
    just wanna know the standard/current rate..basic package.. for just a basic design

thanks forbairt, for the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Rhodney wrote: »
    maybe not the best, but not the worst too..
    just wanna know the standard/current rate..basic package.. for just a basic design

thanks forbairt, for the idea.

I'm not a plumber but I'll fix your electrical problem for you :D

the +(20 - 25) % was actually what someone else recommended you do on another thread I've adopted it now ... it deals with those unforeseen extras ... talking on the phone for 3 hours sorting out something and visiting the customer on site.

Honestly in ireland you'll find people doing things from 20 quid - 2000 for what you're asking. If you're offering a professional service and your end result is going to be professional. Charge professional fees. If its not let the client know that and agree a rate based on that.

The hourly rate seems to be from 20 - 100 quid depending on experience.

How long is that piece of string :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Whats wrong with offering services professional and affordable? No point completely ripping of the customer!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

IMO thats the current problem here in Ireland I have noticed the most since moving here....everyone wants the best for next to nothing.
    If you are a professional why not charge professional (not extortionate but professional) going rates for goods and services.
    A good example I came across recently involved building a house.....I want a decently designed house to live in....everyone thinks I am mad for going to an architect (proper qualified architect not a 'technician' or whatever seems to be the norm). The attitude I have from irish friends and family mostly seems to be - 'sure a technician or draughtsman he could draw you something for a tenth of the price' ..... - I dont want to be ripped off but at the same time I want a proper, quality bespoke service from a fully qualified expert.....and therefore I expect to pay a reasonable fee for it...what is so strange about this?????
    why do people keep undervaluing their services - make sure you are comparing like for like - some semi qualified monkey in whatever profession cannot hold a candle to a pro

ok rant over....gonna get back in my box! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

you get what you pay for... like I keep sayin'.

If you want an average website you'll pay an average price. But if you want a good one, it will cost you. It's not about ripping people off (although that happens a lot over here) but most people don't want to pay the price they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭gufcfan

snellers wrote: »
    IMO thats the current problem here in Ireland I have noticed the most since moving here....everyone wants the best for next to nothing.

True.

It doesnt matter what it is people will complain about the quality, imo.

It doesn't seem to be an Irish thing either.

I stayed in an apartment block with some friends for a week recently.

It was dirt dirt cheap. I booked it but I was given a budget that I was not to go over...

The place was brilliant, could have paid double or treble the amount and I wouldnt have moaned about it.

When I checked the website when I got home to leave a positive comment about the place, I saw that loads of people had whinged on and on about this and that. Things that for the most part were either unreasonable to expect or outside of control of management.

I know i'm going off on a real tangent, but my point is that people will always find fault if they want to.

Base your prices on what you believe to be fair, after doing a little research, as you seem to be doing now, and stick to it.

You will always get people trying to drive your rate down.

For some reason people either dont value or dont trust web designers or anyone involved with computers as they don't understand the complexity or level of training involved in the service they are paying for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 poukai

It's not just an Irish problem, I have had the same conversation with web designers from France and the UK too, the same kind of answers always come up:

"yeah, but my brother in law did a site for a friend for a couple of hundred euros, why pay thousands..."

"I'm a professional free-lance webdesigner and I need to eat, how am I supposed to earn even a decent living if amateurs go around stealing my business for ridiculously low prices and providing bad service?"

I must admit that I am rather siding with the webdesigner on this one... And yes, unless you are really lucky you get what you pay for, if the price is low, then it's probably not a high-quality, custom-designed, tried and tested site with customer support. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Advertisement