Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twite on feeder in Dublin

Options
  • 28-02-2008 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi all,

In Dublin and watching a twite on a peanut feeder, haven't seen one around here before. Books seem to show they are more likely on north and west coasts but we do get finches and redpolls and I think they sometimes fall in with them.

Any other twite sightings around here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Yeah have them mixed in with the redpolls in the garden most days. A few linnets about also, which I have not seen in the garden for years.

Good spot to see a twite on the East coast though, they are not as widespread there compared to the West and South West.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭skydancer

Kess73 wrote: »
    A few linnets about also, which I have not seen in the garden for years.

Hiya, yeah we had a linnet around this week, but we wouldn't see them often. When the twite was around earlier it was on its own. Also we've seen a lot more of the redpolls this year than previous years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭John Griffin

Are you guys sure your not mistaking them for something else? It would be very unusual to have twite coming to feeders in an urban back yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Are you guys sure your not mistaking them for something else? It would be very unusual to have twite coming to feeders in an urban back yard.

Defo twite here, although they tend to use the ground feeding area or the niger feeder. Have a wooded area nearby, which would account for the large number of redpoll along with the twite and linnets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭skydancer

yep, i'm sure too. two of us checked it out. it was a female twite i saw this morning and i posted because i thought it was unusual. the feeder isn't exactly in a typical garden, it's in the grounds of an apartment building, with quite a lot of mature trees etc around, and we get quite a variety of birds. John, have you heard of them going for a peanut feeder before?
    cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Nice one if it's true. I would almost accept them on a seed feeder in mixed flocks and identified by an experienced birder, but the peanut feeder seems strange.

Advertisement