Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 NTL BB Modems in one house?

Options
  • 28-02-2008 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

quick question, Im planning an Xbox Live meet in my house on Saturday.

Was wondering if I connected a friends NTL BB modem to coax point in house and I already have my BB modem at another point in house would it sacrifice speed, Bandwitdh or create lag???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

It'd probably make very slight differences to pings, but not to the point that it becomes in any way noticeable. The fact you've two modems in the same house is no different to having your friends modem connected up in the house next door - all the houses on your street share the same cable backhaul. If you were connecting ten modems then that may be a whole other story!

If you've a router connected into your modem and are on the 3Mb or 6Mb package then you may be able to get away with connecting both XBox's up through your own ntl modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

2 modems = 2x bandwidth :)

1 modem + router = shared bandwidth.

As long as the signal is strong enough for a cable TV splitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

watty wrote: »
    2 modems = 2x bandwidth :)

1 modem + router = shared bandwidth.

Of course, can't see Xbox Live maxing out a 3Mb or especially a 6Mb connection per console though :) A 3Mb package should have enough bandwidth to sustain two consoles gaming online.

Advertisement