Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cove Cafe Bar

• 28-02-2008 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

haS ANYONE GONE THERE TO EAT TODAY, THEY HAVE REOPENED AFTER TWO WEEKS OF BEING CLOSED. I WAS JUST WONDERING IF THE FOOD WAS ANY GOOD.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Take caps lock off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭freebird23

Thank You

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Wasn't there today but just wondering if anyone happens to know if they're back doing food in the evening times as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

In answer to my own question I went yesterday evening, and they're not starting evening food until 13th of March!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

When I went in there a few weeks/months back when they first opened they wou;dn't even serve chips....they ain't going to last long in this town if they don't cater to people, parents and kids.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Going on past events in that place, with all the stuff that has happened in the last few years, I wouldn't even go in there.Still owned by same people.Don't want to get in to it but I'm sure anyone from the area knows what I'm talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well don't tease us like that, spill the beans and chips.

Mike.

i was talking to one of the girls who ate ther yesterdy she said there is only 11 items on the menu and notting great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭eldeabroad

Cabaal wrote: »
    When I went in there a few weeks/months back when they first opened they wou;dn't even serve chips....they ain't going to last long in this town if they don't cater to people, parents and kids.

....thought Waterford was 1 of the 5 cities of Ireland........:mad:

mike65 wrote: »
    Well don't tease us like that, spill the beans and chips.

Mike.
    what he said

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

'town' is a colloquialism

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭eldeabroad

mike65 wrote: »
    'town' is a colloquialism

Mike.

..and is one which will lead to further exclusion of Waterford. If the citizens of the city dont treat it as a city why should the rest of the country? Except when it really matters - TV3 weather maps for example.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

eldeabroad wrote: »
    ..and is one which will lead to further exclusion of Waterford. If the citizens of the city dont treat it as a city why should the rest of the country? Except when it really matters - TV3 weather maps for example.

give it a rest people, its an expression,
    I can say town if I want the same as anyone else can,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Cabaal wrote: »
    give it a rest people, its an expression,
    I can say town if I want the same as anyone else can,

Exactly. When talking amongst ourselves, its very common to refer to the city as "town". We had this discussion ages ago and no it does not lead to further exlusion as we are not refering to it in any offical sense that affects us. TV3, RTE, Ministers on the radio etc. need to refer to us as a city as they are speaking officaly.

Anyway, no more off-topic ranting about town vs. city. ;)

Baby4 wrote: »

baby4... was the bad service down to them being so busy??? or was it bad overall.???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Baby4 wrote: »

I find this very hard to believe. :p

got the chance to go to the cove bar at the w/end have to say wasnt impressed at all poor service poor menu and worst of all food was like something from a canteen. dont think i will give it another go at all. i think it was better b4 it closed a few weeks ago. at around 3ish no food left, me and the girls were there and it didnt look that busy. pitty realy i did like to have lunch there during the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Brian Hitch

freebird23 wrote: »
    got the chance to go to the cove bar at the w/end have to say wasnt impressed at all poor service poor menu and worst of all food was like something from a canteen. dont think i will give it another go at all. i think it was better b4 it closed a few weeks ago. at around 3ish no food left, me and the girls were there and it didnt look that busy. pitty realy i did like to have lunch there during the week.

Hi folks

Was down in Dunmore East at the weekend as my brothers name is on the memorial wall and found out that you are indeed right (Freebird23) about Tony Boland (former manager of Chez K's) taking over the food section of The Cove and guess who just started last Thursday working as Head Chief, Mark Gunnip, (The fomer Head Chief of Chez K's).
    So hopefully all goes well, because it will take a couple of weeks to get rid of the canteen style/bad service etc...... Its opened for food during the day only as far as I know.
    Step up or down for Mr. G????? wink.gif Time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

• Advertisement

Owners sitting up at the bar posing. Very pretentious crowd in there.

I'm so interested to know who you saw "posing". I mean was it a proper Madonna - Vogue pose??? and was it the owner, the guy who is leasing the food part or the new head chef???? Don't know the owner but the other two, as far as I remember, are well capable of this!!! Give it a few weeks under the new chef, hopefully none of them will have any time to pose cause it will be so busy:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

just a quck upate i think the cove are going o be doing evening food soon. someone on a previous post was wondering about it. anyone eat there latly

seems like the cove have extended there hours for food till 9pm al a carte i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 BillyBobWinters

I went into the Cove. The menu was interesting, kinda something you would expect in a Dublin lunch pub.

I had "Dunmore East" crab rissoto. Being a rissoto "expert" i feel qualified to judge this meal - it was very nice, rissoto was cooked lovely but unfortunately it was not very flavoursome - maybe a bit more seasoning and despite the inclusion of crab, the rissoto didnt have a powerful fish flavour like i expected.

Still, i enjoyed it but not one of the best i've had.

A friend got taglatelle (spelling) and it was very plain. €10

Another got a chicken on a bagette thing - he said it was lovely but it looked very plain also.

it seems they have gone trough another head chef according to waterford today its an austrailian. i heard he couldnt give a castlemain **** for anything else:D. changes changes.

freebird23 wrote: »
    it seems they have gone trough another head chef according to waterford today its an austrailian. i heard he couldnt give a castlemain **** for anything else:D. changes changes.

Bummer!!!! I was going to go into The Cove at the weekend when I was down, as I did like the food in Chez K's. Sorry also wanted to clarify:

"i heard he couldnt give a castlemain **** for anything else"

Mr Gunnip or the new chef??? What's "anything else"???:confused::confused:

Wonder why he left??? Is Tony Boland still running the place?? (holy crap, that's a lot of question's think I might have drank too much coffee this morning. I used to have blood flowing around my body, now I have caffeen!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Think you might have mentioned it was doing well. Maybe he was just there to get the place off its feet. I know some chef's work only as consultants i.e they will go into a new restaurant, set-up menu, layout, kitchen and then help the owner's/manager to hire a new head chef to run the place after the start-up stint is over.

Right, I'm going off now to drink some de-caf!!!!! :o:o

Advertisement