Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wall connection systems for connecting an extension to existing walls.

• 28-02-2008 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭

This is one way

BLUEBIRD SCREW TIE WALL CONNECTORS, FOR TYING NEW MASONRY WALLS TO EXISTING WALLS.

http://www.bbacerts.co.uk/certs/28/2878i2_web.pdf

I recall seeing some kit that is nailed onto the wall, may have been stainless steel.
    Cant recall the name.
    Any suggestions welcome.

Any thoughts on what can be used it 2 storey as opposed to one?
    Thanks

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ircoha wrote: »
    This is one way

BLUEBIRD SCREW TIE WALL CONNECTORS, FOR TYING NEW MASONRY WALLS TO EXISTING WALLS.

http://www.bbacerts.co.uk/certs/28/2878i2_web.pdf

I recall seeing some kit that is nailed onto the wall, may have been stainless steel.
    Cant recall the name.
    Any suggestions welcome.

Any thoughts on what can be used it 2 storey as opposed to one?
    Thanks

I wouldnt like to use such an item.
    It doesnt allow for differential settlement of the new build versus existing.

a tie such as below would be a better installation IMHO.
    http://www.ancon.co.uk/main.asp?pageID=144

edit: its the 'satifix universial wall starter system' that im referring to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The one below is the same idea, it just doesn't come as a kit.
    I would prefere these type also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

I had to use a WALL STARTER to add a nib to an entrance that was changed after the block work was completed .It is approx 1m in length and 110 in width and has side nibs which catch the first block , with tongues that are straightened out to 90' to tie into the mortar .The starter is attached to existing wall with plugs and screws.
    Available in builders merchants ask any blockie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

bakerbhoy wrote: »
    I had to use a WALL STARTER to add a nib to an entrance that was changed after the block work was completed .It is approx 1m in length and 110 in width and has side nibs which catch the first block , with tongues that are straightened out to 90' to tie into the mortar .The starter is attached to existing wall with plugs and screws.
    Available in builders merchants ask any blockie

I would / have use them too.

Proper foundation should not allow any differential in settlement, unless of course its an extension on to a house that has a raft foundation

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

snyper wrote: »
    I would / have use them too.

Proper foundation should not allow any differential in settlement, unless of course its an extension on to a house that has a raft foundation

there will always be differential settlement betwen new and old build.

the old build will have have found its firming base whereas the new build will take time to settle.....

how often do cracks appear between extensions and original builds?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

sydthebeat wrote: »
    there will always be differential settlement betwen new and old build.

the old build will have have found its firming base whereas the new build will take time to settle.....

how often do cracks appear between extensions and original builds?

Thats what I am trying to avoid:eek:

Anyway thanks, to you all for the input.
    As always, much appreciated.

Advertisement