Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Mobile BB?

Options
  • 28-02-2008 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭

Having finally told the muppets at 3 to shag off I had Digiweb do a site survey for me. My area is covered! BUT THERE ARE TOO MANY SHAGGING TREES around me to get an adequate signal. The installer said that he could have installed yesterday and got an OK signal but that the service would be intermittent and would probably disappear when the trees come into leaf. At least he was honest, not what I wanted to hear - but unlike the Mumbai Mafia he was informed, capable & HONEST.
    He did say that Digiweb were introducing 4G mobile BB and that this was likely to work for me. I rang Digiweb and one of the girls said the service is on trial in Dublin but will be expanded.
    Has anyone in Nth Dublin used this service yet? Is it any good? If anyone from Digiweb is reading this (without pinning your company down) please give some indication if the service is being expanded to cover Sth Kildare, Nth Carlow & laois and when?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

This year sometime is the nationwide rollout.

I had a problem with my own Digiweb Metro and got farmer's permission to cut the lowest bough on two neighbouring trees. This created a "hole" and then the Digiweb box at about 7ft off ground on side wall got a good signal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭milkerman

Problem isnt just one or two trees, a whole forrest more like. Saw Snow White & a couple of short guys goin through it the other day.
    Has there been any practical experience of this new Digiweb service as yet? Whats the technology behind it do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭murfo

my mate who lives in lusk got his yesterday and was able to get almost 1.0mbit connection in his house, and i got about 0.5 in my house in kinsealy :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭milkerman

If we knew more about the technology it might explain the differences. Is it contention, signal strength, router set up? I dont know.
    what is the latency like? Is it any good for 3D shoot-em-ups like Counterstrike or COD?
    The blurb on the website states the package is suitable for gaming, but a guy in CPW in Liffey Valley said the same about 3.:rolleyes:

yeah, and the blurb on the website says speeds of up to 5.4, but maybe the 5 part is a misprint. i tried speedtest a few times and my ping was anything from 102-150 ms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Lads I have this since november and while the pings are Ok not too bad can game on Xbox live most of the time. The speeds are all over the place. Between 500kb and 1mb all the time.

I think if there was a aeriel available it would make a huge difference to the service as moving it 2 feet in the bedroom can make a massive difference to the service,

See my sig below for the latest speed test.
    Anyone want to me cary out any other tests let me know
    Ohh yeah I live in Rush I believe the mast on the bracken court hotel in Balbriggan.

murfo wrote: »
    yeah, and the blurb on the website says speeds of up to 5.4, but maybe the 5 part is a misprint. i tried speedtest a few times and my ping was anything from 102-150 ms

Like the 3.6Mbps of 3G/HSDPA, the up to is if there is one user, though some mast sectors unlike 3G/HSDPA could support 2 or 3 users at full speed.

With 10 users on 3G/HSDPA sector it typically slows to under 200kbps and would hardly ever reach 350kps.

With 10 users on Digweb Mobile Mast sector, it would be typically 500kbps, though in theory faster is possible.

Compared with any other Mobile solution at the same user loading 700kbps is quite high.

Only fixed Broadband can give consistent > 1Mbps (or 2Mbps, 3Mbps etc depending on package) speeds.

(my bold highlighting in Quote)

Watty thats fair enough, but I got a flyer in during the week from Digiweb and to be very frank about I think the advertising is false. It states up to 10X faster than conventinal broadban. This is in no way faster than any broadband.

In fairness it is'nt bad but should no way be marketed in the same categorry as convential broadband. I know you say it is mobile. But it is only mobile in the fingal area. So not much use as a mobile solution to 90% of the country.

Is there any chance that they could increase the speed of the package.

Its 1130 on a sunday so I reckon there are not much users using it now. My speeds are
    URL=http://www.speedtest.net]241347113.png[/URL]

I know I will never get the 5.2 MBS UPTO

But it really is false advertising as most people just look at the upto.
    I know from using Boards also that you are affialiated to Digiweb (Think you may work for them) Which is in no way a slur to you as I you do great work around here.

Is it a flyer for Digiweb mobile, or for Metro or some other Digiweb service?

Since 50% of eircom DSL use 1Mbps and Metro can do 10Mbps, it sounds like a Metro flyer rather than Digiweb Mobile? I can't comment further without seeing the Flyer & then seeing who produced it, depending at what it is for.

I'd be reasonably sure that if the flyer is ambiguous, it will be noticed and changed. Ring sales and politely explain what the flyer says and why you think it is misleading.

Fingal is just a pilot trial, nationwide rollout is soon.

well i contacted them on friday to clarify what the variance might be in "up to 5.3" and was told by the salesperson that the lower end of the range would be 3.0, which is what i had on metro at my old address, and never got a result below 2600kb/s on speedtest. anyway, had to cancel the order as i found out that the phone service is not compatible for use with a sky box (even though i had explained to the person i ordered it from that it was the explicit reason for me adding on the phone package).

don't want to dis them or anything because i had metro for nearly two years at my old address and never had any problem/loss of service, but i find it hard to recommend the mobile service when its sales pitch is 99% theoretical

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

murfo wrote: »
    well i contacted them on friday to clarify what the variance might be in "up to 5.3" and was told by the salesperson that the lower end of the range would be 3.0, which is what i had on metro at my old address, and never got a result below 2600kb/s on speedtest. anyway, had to cancel the order as i found out that the phone service is not compatible for use with a sky box (even though i had explained to the person i ordered it from that it was the explicit reason for me adding on the phone package).

don't want to dis them or anything because i had metro for nearly two years at my old address and never had any problem/loss of service, but i find it hard to recommend the mobile service when its sales pitch is 99% theoretical

I'd blame the advertising authority for that since they didn't pull Vodafone, O2 or 3 on their ad's. Digiweb have to play the same game or loose business.

At the end of the day there's can go theoretically higher than the others and its important for them to use that figure when their competition is using their max theoretical figure. Vodafone were actually being sensible until they saw everyone else was taking the p*ss then they did the same.

Ok I have it in front of me the flyer unfortunately no scanner

On top it has mobile broadband with the following blurb
    Save 300 a year on line rental
    No Landline Requiered
    UP to 5.3mb
    Easy Plug and play
    Pic of Pcmcia card

Special offer
    Free wireless router
    Free Digital Wireless phone

on the back
    upto 5 times faster than standard broadband packages
    Easy installation
    Call 1800920433

So yes defo Mobile broadband

Here are speed tonight slower than normal
    241676069.png

Anyone looking for a speed updat here you go

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I've had Digiweb's mobile broadband since October, and considering where I'm living [deep countryside along borders before co. Meath, near Ashbourne] I get a pretty good connection.

Average [actual] speeds of 140kb-170kb, had it go up to 250kb/s sometimes when downloading files.

Gaming on European servers, average pings between 40-60ms

Once in a blue moon my connection does become awful though, like download speeds going down to round 7 kb/s. This has happened 3 times over course of 2 days, since I got the service.

But since I had dial-up before this, I'm still pretty happy with the service.

Edit - Today's reading off SpeedTest:

244096402.png - London

244097030.png - Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 daithiboy

Not great speeds really but about the only option we have because of Eircom's complete antipathy when it comes to broadband in Lusk (long story that i won't bore you with here).

We're trying out this Digiweb mobile broadband in the house for the 10 day period and, seeing as my Vodafone mobile phone can't pick up a signal I was pretty sceptical about getting any decent speeds. We're averaging around 500kps which I suppose is okay. I guess I'm spoilt cos at work we get 3 up 3 down. 500 is nowhere near enough for our needs though. Even low res streaming video is brutal at those speeds.

246449768.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

The ASAI have pulled up all the BB providers on the use of "up to" (ASAI Advice Note). Although it still allows for variances, it does greatly improve the current situation.

Although what effect this has on Digiweb advertising remains to be seen (considering they ignore ASAI complaints)! A step in the right direction.

Back on topic, the theory behind the tech used by Digiweb Mobile BB should deliver a much more reliable platform than HSDPA, but it's early days yet for the tech and for Digiweb's implementation, so it's hard to judge yet.

Intresting to read the reviews/speeds so far, keep 'em comin'!

Though that was about changes in pricing and not speeds.

Ok so by the looks of it no one seems to be getting a decent speed on this product

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Psygnosis wrote: »
    Ok so by the looks of it no one seems to be getting a decent speed on this product

Go post this post in the Three BB thread and see how badly flamed you get :D

Those are reasonable speeds considering its mobile broadband and in general it seems to suck and is not intended to be a rival to DSL but just to give fast speeds to check email on the go.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rinnin

We got it 3 weeks ago & Seems ok. Got max 1.5Mbps dowload but can be intermittant.
    We have the wireless router in the attic on a beam with the wireless card in it and have been trying to attach cables around it from our big 80 foot aerial but that didnt make any difference.
    The actual wireless card never came with an aerial so I'm hoping if we get one it might make a difference.

PS I'm living in Clonee
    251261851.png

• Advertisement

If u figure out what type of aeriel it uses let me know too I think it would make a massive difference as well

The connector/card is damaged if you force the wrong connector. The wrong aerial could in theory cause damage to the transmitter in the card.

A number of aerials tested performed no better than built in aerial. When suitable adaptor cables, aerial extension cables and suitable external aerials are available they will likely be on the web site.

My car & house can be like porcupines with aerials and *I* don't even have an external aerial yet. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

Must look into this. We are desperatly looking for an Alternative for the disaster that is Ice Broadband. Supposed to have 3Mbs up and down with Ice but its all over the place. Impossible to get any help from them.

Cant get BB on phone line or anywhere else.

If i had a fixed ariel with this, what kind of service could i expect (pings, speed, reliability etc)

How reliable is Digiweb mobile for Skype, blueface etc?

Advertisement