Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera rollout

Options
  • 28-02-2008 2:08pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Some interesting comments from our friends in the UK about the Irish camera rollout.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=503411&i=0

Notice the use of the words "burning" and "target practice" in some of them:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

There's two near Navan, one the Dublin side and another on the Kells side, both of which have been burnt in the last two years. (there not private one's).

Power to the people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

Interesting.

Surely if enough cameras are destroyed then the company running this get quick scheme will actually make a loss.

Might have to get the lads from the Tuf Tuf Club over to give lessons.

Trouble is I read in Autoexpress that those clever clogs that make these things have developed one's that are vandal / fire proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

What about spray painting over the lens ?

Not that I am encouraging any of these actions btw. :D

Niall1234 wrote: »
    What about spray painting over the lens ?

Not that I am encouraging any of these actions btw. :D

Appearently that won't work either, some kind of special coating on the lens / cover. Read about it in autoexpress a few months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Lets see them stand up to a belt of a JCB :D

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

mik_da_man wrote: »

we have a winner :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

just block the line of sight of the lense with something, there was a traffic cone stuck in front of one on the collon ardee road (n2) it was there for ages! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

mik_da_man wrote: »
    That's the funniest thing I've read in ages:D:D
    I'll certainly drink to that!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

WHITE_P wrote: »
    Trouble is I read in Autoexpress that those clever clogs that make these things have developed one's that are vandal / fire proof.
    Whatever about fire proof, everything is vandalise-able!

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote: »
    Whatever about fire proof, everything is vandalise-able!

Is vandalise-able a word?

You are probably right (I hope thats not the voice of experience talking), only joking !!!

However here's a link to the article in AutoExpress, see the Peek IDEE.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/217461/speed_camera_gallery.html

draffodx wrote: »
    just block the line of sight of the lense with something, there was a traffic cone stuck in front of one on the collon ardee road (n2) it was there for ages! :D

that made me laugh every time I passed it. Brilliant :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

what will happen when road deaths don't fall after the roll out of these camera's, will they deciede they need to put more up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Safety cameras were scrapped. There is no press release on the Dept of Justice webpage.

Minister Lenihan said only a few weeks ago that the plans were being shelved due to costs. Where did these people get their info?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

maoleary wrote: »
    Safety cameras were scrapped. There is no press release on the Dept of Justice webpage.

Minister Lenihan said only a few weeks ago that the plans were being shelved due to costs. Where did these people get their info?
    it was un-scrapped last Tuesday.

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/motors/2008/0227/1203619480467.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

stevec wrote: »

Ah b*llox :mad:

f**king Fianna Fail-ures

I've just read that article again:
    ...tender estimates that put annual costs closer to €25 million per annum.
    ...estimated that the revenue accruing to the Exchequer from speed cameras will be about €70 million.

That means it will cost the motorist €100m in total.

Given roughly 2m motorists here, they expect to get €50 per motorist anually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

'Tis a sad day...:(

We need some type of MacGyver-like vigilante who can make a bomb out of a bottle of Domestos and a stick of chewing gum...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

we'll get a dedicated Irish section of:

http://www.speedcam.co.uk/gatso2.htm

soon enough I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Charlie 22

The best way to kill them i hear is to drill a 10mm hole and fill them with expanding builders foam it should destroy the inner workings of them not that i would know anything at all about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Charlie 22 wrote: »
    The best way to kill them i hear is to drill a 10mm hole and fill them with expanding builders foam it should destroy the inner workings of them not that i would know anything at all about it.
    Yeah, I was wondering what they meant on PistonHeads when he said " I must get more expanding foam".
    Brilliant....I think we should nominate a new word to the dictionary....Vandalise-able

stevec wrote: »
    I've just read that article again:

...tender estimates that put annual costs closer to €25 million per annum.
    ...estimated that the revenue accruing to the Exchequer from speed cameras will be about €70 million.

That means it will cost the motorist €100m in total.

Given roughly 2m motorists here, they expect to get €50 per motorist anually.
    It will cost the motorist €70m annually. The government then face a cost of €25 which will be taken out of that €70m - its not added onto the €70m.

tsk tsk - shocking behaviour!

It will cost the motorist €70m annually. The government then face a cost of €25 which will be taken out of that €70m - its not added onto the €70m.
    Way I read it was revenue to the gov. would be 75m, IMO that would be after they paid running costs.
    Doesn't matter how its phrased, seemingly revenue is more important than saving lives.

tsk tsk - shocking behaviour!

i agree, they might not have done the scamera any good but i doubt they killed it off either unfortunately because these things are pretty tough.

need more tyres :D

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

Charlie 22 wrote: »

Sounds like a good idea! Probably cheaper, more effective and easier to do than using a burning tire (more environmentally friendly too ;)).

bman wrote: »
    Sounds like a good idea! Probably cheaper, more effective and easier to do than using a burning tire (more environmentally friendly too ;)).

and safer too :D

lets not forget, these things are all about safety :rolleyes:

Advertisement