Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too many Traffic lights

Options
  • 28-02-2008 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

Too many traffic lights in our area in stupid places. Anytime lights are out traffic flows as it should. Is there really such a need for so many?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

What stupid places are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Yes and no. I find when Coolmine Cross traffic lights arent working that the traffic flows a lot better. However I think as people approach that junction with the lights out they are extra cautious, whereas if the lights were constantly turned off they would have the constant extra caution. Plus there's the need for pedestrian crossings at said junction. I wouldn't take them away, children walk across there everyday to go to Coolmine and Scoil Oilibhéir.

Also I have no idea what the place would be like with no lights during rush hour traffic. I can imagine getting onto the Clonsilla Road would prove difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I get every red light going from Ballycoolin to the Roselawn shopping centre....every day, every week without fail. I swear it's like the traffic lights don't like me or something. I wish they'd change the timing on the lights!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I get every red light going from Ballycoolin to the Roselawn shopping centre....every day, every week without fail. I swear it's like the traffic lights don't like me or something. I wish they'd change the timing on the lights!

I have same gripe with them :)

Those lights for the NAC are always in the NAC's favour. For example, if a single car approached the lights from the NAC, it will end up putting red on Snugborough traffic immediately with no wait time for the NAC car...flippin outrageous.

Only way out of it is sometimes to speed which i've seen a few motorists do out of frustration.
    Ever notice at night-time, the lights are always green(mostly) for Snugsborough traffic because the NAC is closed and the Ind estate is also quiet, makes you think about bias against Snugsborough traffic!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

With proper phasing of traffic signals a lot of unnecessary traffic jams could be avoided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

gurramok wrote: »
    Those lights for the NAC are always in the NAC's favour. For example, if a single car approached the lights from the NAC, it will end up putting red on Snugborough traffic immediately with no wait time for the NAC car...flippin outrageous.

Only way out of it is sometimes to speed which i've seen a few motorists do out of frustration.
    Ever notice at night-time, the lights are always green(mostly) for Snugsborough traffic because the NAC is closed and the Ind estate is also quiet, makes you think about bias against Snugsborough traffic!
    Triggered lights - I love them and they appear to be working correctly here. If they didn't exist and you were entering or exiting the NAC you'd have to wait quite a while and people would complain.
    There are many junctions (especially in Fingal) where the lights are not trigger so you get cars staring at red lights at night when there are no cars in the 'green' direction.

There is no reason to speed up as you'll simply be caught at the next lights/junction and have no net gain.
    Cathooo wrote:
    Also I have no idea what the place would be like with no lights during rush hour traffic. I can imagine getting onto the Clonsilla Road would prove difficult.
    When I lived in California junctions would become 'Stop' junctions when the lights were out. In such a junction people got to go in rotation, giving way to the person from the right. It actually worked, even when dealing with a junction with 2 lanes in each direction i.e. 8 lanes of traffic wanting to cross a junction. Unfortunately in this country 'Stop' doesn't mean the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

daymobrew wrote: »
    When I lived in California junctions would become 'Stop' junctions when the lights were out. In such a junction people got to go in rotation, giving way to the person from the right. It actually worked, even when dealing with a junction with 2 lanes in each direction i.e. 8 lanes of traffic wanting to cross a junction. Unfortunately in this country 'Stop' doesn't mean the same thing.

Yeah, when the lights are out here, it seems to mean "free for all"....:rolleyes:

I'm really amazed at the attitude of some people.:mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Have you noticed that when the lights are out of action on a signal controlled roundabout, nobody seems to now what to do? It's like they've forgotten its a roundabout! You've gotta love the Irish - worse drivers I ever saw, but always seem to think foreign drivers are mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Sprouts

Think we copy everything big brother (England) does, so why not their lights the way they go to amber to let you know they are about to turn green. Would help the slower motorists move a bit quicker.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

This is something people have been saying for years. You'd imagine someone in the government would have a bit of cop-on to introduce it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

They introduced them briefly on the M50/N3 roundabout a while back but then removed them again about 2 weeks later. Not sure why...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Zaph wrote: »
    You'd imagine someone in the government would have a bit of cop-on to introduce it.
    Sentences with "obviously" and "surely" or "you'd imagine" are doomed when applied to the Irish Government or public services.

Advertisement