Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking for an 525 E34?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

why not Unkel's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

quarryman wrote: »
    why not Unkel's?

My budget is under 5k. I want a manual and I am not willing to pay the tax on a 3.5L. Also, I would like a little better fuel economy than a 3.5L.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Cracking car, but getting rarer now. Will be hard to find a good one. Check out enthousiast sites like here

dahamsta (a regular poster here) had his for sale - if he still has it I don't know. Pretty sure it was a manual. PM him!

Don't expect much better fuel consumption from a 2.5l E34 compared to a 3.5l E38 to be honest...

And anyway, even if you got 5MPG better from the E34, that would mean a difference of €5 per week if you do 10k km per year. The tax is more expensive alright, but insurance on the 7 is probably cheaper than on the 5 (lower risk profile)

As for manual vs. automatic - have you test driven any E34 or E38 auto? I've been hooked on autoboxes since my '94 E34 530 V8 :D

This car had worse fuel consumption than my 7 btw!

unkel wrote: »
    Cracking car, but getting rarer now. Will be hard to find a good one. Check out enthousiast sites like here

dahamsta (a regular poster here) had his for sale - if he still has it I don't know. Pretty sure it was a manual. PM him!

Don't expect much better fuel consumption from a 2.5l E34 compared to a 3.5l E38 to be honest...

And anyway, even if you got 5MPG better from the E34, that would mean a difference of €5 per week if you do 10k km per year. The tax is more expensive alright, but insurance on the 7 is probably cheaper than on the 5 (lower risk profile)

As for manual vs. automatic - have you test driven any E34 or E38 auto? I've been hooked on autoboxes since my '94 E34 530 V8 :D

This car had worse fuel consumption than my 7 btw!

I's love the 7 series and there are so many things I can think that would make me want yours but it's just not the right time. I'm only 23 anyway so it might be just abit much. It would only cost me about 1400 to insure but still.

I really would not like the autobox. I have driven automatics before...maybe in the future, who knows? 3K would also be a massive budget breach seeing as it's only 5K to start with. Maybe if it was 50K I had for wheels 3K would not be much.

I have not test driven an E34 at all but really really want to....anyone have one you will give me a spin of??

If it turns out that I have to go to the UK looking for one I will need to make sure I have test driven in Ireland first.

Do you think it's abit mad being so on for getting an E34 without having even driven one??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Do you think it's abit mad being so on for getting an E34 without having even driven one??

No! You wouldn't be the first and the drive won't disappoint. Its a heavy car so don't expect a 3 series type drive, but what a fabulous car.

Be prepared though, once you've done the E34 thing its hard to drive anything else.

• Advertisement

Hmmm,
    I'm getting a little bewildered. I am looking over at pistonheads and you seem to be able to get alot of E39's for less than an E34?

They may not be 2.5's but jeez...what do you think?

Did you check insurance on either? Don't assume you'll get reasonable quotes, or even a quote at all. In my experience the majority of insurers don't even touch anything with a >2.5l engine
    I really would not like the autobox. I have driven automatics before...

Proper ones? Nearly all high end saloons are auto and have been for some time now. The E34 is probably the last generation executive saloon generation that sold more manuals than autos
    3K would also be a massive budget breach seeing as it's only 5K to start with

8K is only an asking price :D

Yes. Have you ever driven a powerful rear wheel drive car before? I don't think the E34 had traction control, even as an option

Did you check insurance on either? Don't assume you'll get reasonable quotes, or even a quote at all. In my experience the majority of insurers don't even touch anything with a >2.5l engine

8K is only an asking price :D

Yes. Have you ever driven a powerful rear wheel drive car before? I don't think the E34 had traction control, even as an option

I'll give you 4500K for the 7 series so.

I got a quote on a 2.5L sport 525i. 1086...third party, fire and theft. 3 years Full licence, 3 years no claims and 23 yrs old.

I have to say I really look forward to the challenge of a powerful RWD. I have been driving a speedy 1.4 for yonks and now it's time for something more powerful.

I think I really have the sense also not to push a car too much into realms unknown.

UPDATE: Insurance on the 735 would be 1463. Top that up with 1500 tax and I'm talking about a cost of 3K just to get it on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 E34

Great cars! Go for a manual if possible

Somthing like this would be nice http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/393794.htm

Do your homework here: http://www.bmwe34.net/

Make sure waterpump has been changed as original has plastic impellor and will fail.

Vibration at 55-65mph usually point at shot thrust arm bushes

Check the tyres, metric ones are expensive and sh1te!

This one looks real nice. I'm not sure I really like people that have M5 badges on things that are not M5's...same with M3's and other cars.

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/393989.htm

• Advertisement

Insurance on the 735 would be 1463

That's a lot more than on the E34. I guess you've your age against you. For me it was the other way around

Anyway, keep us informed how you're getting on!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Sold!
    Sold - Calypso Red 1993 525i
    Hmmm,
    I'm getting a little bewildered. I am looking over at pistonheads and you seem to be able to get alot of E39's for less than an E34?

They may not be 2.5's but jeez...what do you think?
    I'd say thats because there are still loads of decent E39s there. The E34 suffered from tin rot so good clean ones demand more money that a crappy-ish E39.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

I brought in a 525TDS touring from the uk late last year. Couldn't find one here with the spec and condtion I wanted. The one I got was a one owner car with reams of service history, every old mot, tax disc etc.
    It's an auto and it makes for such a relaxing drive. The car feels so solid and is massively over engineered.
    Your welcome to have a look if you want. AFAIK there is a BMW club meeting coming up on Paddys day weekend. Should be plenty of E34's at that.

Just to add another bit of info OP. If your importing one, do so before the VRT/Tax change in July. There is no offical co2 info for these cars (that I'm aware of) so your looking at 36% vrt and €2k road tax :eek:

kbannon wrote: »
    Sold!
    Sold - Calypso Red 1993 525i

I'd say thats because there are still loads of decent E39s there. The E34 suffered from tin rot so good clean ones demand more money that a crappy-ish E39.

Are E39's crap or is it just that it would not be a 525?
    Just to add another bit of info OP. If your importing one, do so before the VRT/Tax change in July. There is no offical co2 info for these cars (that I'm aware of) so your looking at 36% vrt and €2k road tax :eek:

Can you elaborate?? 36% VRT.....2K road tax :eek: :eek:

Can you elaborate?? 36% VRT.....2K road tax :eek: :eek:

Under the new regime coming in in July, any car that doesn't have published official CO2 figures automatically goes into the maximum category. The E34's went up to 96/97 I think, but official CO2 only came in in 2001.
    Therefore you would get stuck with the high rates. :(
    If your importing, just do so before July and get it vrt asap.

Check out this thread for more info...

Under the new regime coming in in July, any car that doesn't have published official CO2 figures automatically goes into the maximum category. The E34's went up to 96/97 I think, but official CO2 only came in in 2001.
    Therefore you would get stuck with the high rates. :(
    If your importing, just do so before July and get it vrt asap.

Check out this thread for more info...

So basically if I get it VRT'd before July I will pay normal 2.5L tax rates. What would the VRT cost on this. I am assuming around 1K?

So basically if I get it VRT'd before July I will pay normal 2.5L tax rates. What would the VRT cost on this. I am assuming around 1K?

AFAIK that's the way it works.
    I paid around €700 to vrt my 525 tds estate last year. (@ around 30% vrt rate)

I'm really considering this http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/393989.htm

This car has low mileage and full service history. Is 2600GBP abit low here. Is it too good to be true?

I am currently talking to him over email. What kind of questions do I need to be asking him?

The same guy is actually selling this http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/351902.htm
    Why is the 3 series so much more expensive. Is it just because it's an M3 or is it just a rare car.
    Thanks.

It is a nice looking 525 alright. Avus blue is the next best colour after silver :D:D:D
    The M50 engine had 189bhp and the car is 12 years old so 200bhp.... I don't think so :rolleyes:
    It looks like it has the M5 clocks (red needles). But the wheels are pure tack. The E34 is a classic shape and as such it needs period wheels to look good. The best wheels out there are the Throwing Stars, Style 5's, Rondell 58 or Alpinas.
    I have the throwing stars. They are a staggered set, meaning 235/45 8x17's up front and 255/40 9x17's at the back.

The lower control arm bushes are the 5's big weak point and cost €€€ to fix. The steering will shimmy and shake until they are replaced. A 95k car should have had them done, if not budget at least €500 for quality parts.

• Advertisement

Why is the 3 series so much more expensive. Is it just because it's an M3

The E30 in general and some models like that 325 sport in particular, have become classic cars nearly overnight. The E34 is not quite there yet. The 325 in your link is not an M3 though ;)

It is a nice looking 525 alright. Avus blue is the next best colour after silver :D:D:D
    The M50 engine had 189bhp and the car is 12 years old so 200bhp.... I don't think so :rolleyes:
    It looks like it has the M5 clocks (red needles). But the wheels are pure tack. The E34 is a classic shape and as such it needs period wheels to look good. The best wheels out there are the Throwing Stars, Style 5's, Rondell 58 or Alpinas.
    I have the throwing stars. They are a staggered set, meaning 235/45 8x17's up front and 255/40 9x17's at the back.

The lower control arm bushes are the 5's big weak point and cost €€€ to fix. The steering will shimmy and shake until they are replaced. A 95k car should have had them done, if not budget at least €500 for quality parts.

I just assumed maybe it was chipped or something. Some chips can give up to an extra 40 brake apparently.

The wheels never struck me as being nice but ever since you pointed me to those wheels above I agree completely...I would def. change those wheels!

What other kind of things should be done at 95K?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I don't think you will ever get 40bhp with just a chip, especially on an engine that is a teenager by now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

The same guy is actually selling this http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/351902.htm
    Why is the 3 series so much more expensive. Is it just because it's an M3 or is it just a rare car.
    Thanks.

Yep, that no M3. The E30 325i is a car in demand. The prices for them in Ireland are quite high as well. Looks like thousands poured into it incl boring it to 2.7L

I have asked the guy selling how many owners and he is saying "Not sure - maybe 6 or 7"

Do they not have registration books in the UK?

Is 95K not very low mileage for 6 or 7 people? Surely one of them would have been a high mileage driver.

Advertisement