Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting back in shape

• 28-02-2008 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

Well here is my story I was have been a 4min 1500M and 2 min 800M runner when in my early 20's sub 30 for 5mile etc .. Well after years or work , study and injury i find myslef very unfit and over weight .

About 6 months ago I started back training, well jogging but for the first time in about 7 years i've actually got the love and focus back for running and racing. No at the moment i'm only running at 8-9 mins miles and the odd shorter run a little faster. I'm taking it really easy at the moment and not pushing it too hard as I know it's along road back to a decient standard.

I've sorted my diet out not which wasnt too bad but needed to cut out a few thing , main problem is office work and endless hours sititng on my backside, i've tried to address this by walking jogging on lunch break and running in the evening.

My main question is with a decient training plan is there a chance of getting back to a decient standard ie 30 mins for 5 mile .

I've got a long term plan and hope to get back to a club soon and maybe race in some graded track leagues if they are still running?

I'm I been too Optomistic in my goal of a low 30 mins 5 mile when i can't even do 40 mins at the moment, dont get me wrong i dont expect to run that even this year.

Any advise is more the welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭aburke

Just enjoy it.
    If you are still enjoying it, you'll slowly increase the training, and reduce the times.
    Join a club...now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Thanks loving it more then ever now, and have raced well got around rahney 5 and doing the 5 k on sat more of a training run, will look for a club now as my old club is a bit far away now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Hi Shels,
    Well done on your comeback - what was your time at Raheny?

Like Alan I would also emphasise the enjoyment aspect and not get too hung up on performances. The one will follow the other.

As a newcomer to Dublin I have tried the battle of running early evening - I assure you that the effort to get up earlier and run then is much more pleasant - plus it sets you up nicely for the office.

Unlike Alan though I think it is quite possible to train solo and improve, though it takes extra willpower. Depends whether or not you're a club 'animal' I guess.

Good luck, let us know how you're doing.

My time was 45 mins , which really spured me on as i used to run 30/31 ish i, I was never a natural runner but wored hard and i guess i'll do the same now, Its good we have set up a clus/group in work now to do some of the Bhaa races , At the moment there are about 10 of us ,

If my training goes well I think i'll need to find a new group for some run's around mind summer as most people are only training 1-2 days a week .

I think I will need to start doing some speed work session to get the legs moving any suggestion on what to start with , At the moment i'm jsut joggin around 6-5 mile max on long runs and 3-4 on normal days , with 1-2 days rest.

Thanks for the help

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

There are tons of interval sessions out there Shels e.g. on the Runner's World site www.runnersworld.co.uk Have you got access to a track? Try

1. 4 x 800m in 4min - i.e. 8m/m, with a few minutes recovery between each rep. Well within your range but it will force you to pick up your feet and work. If you can handle that then try a couple of sets, or lower the time target.

2. If you really want fun then (after a LONG warm up) blitz a 400/300/200/100 as fast as you can - recoveries of 4/3/2 minutes. A couple of sets maybe. Reminds the body what speed/endurance is. (Plan a rest day afterwards!)

Good luck

• Advertisement

Sounds good i've a bit of a base so will plan ot start some speend working in 3 weeks time when my mileage build up is complete.

thanks for all the advise here

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

With that natural speed, once you get the endurance the sub 30 will be a piece of cake. So will depend on how much training you can get done, but I don't think it will take as long as you think. At my club, new fellows can take 3 months or so to 'lose the weight' etc and hugely improve within months. As aburke said - join a club asap.

Cool , just ran (well got around) the 5 k today, went a abit mad at the start but it was planned, pushed the first 1.5 k and then dies really bad, but was good to get out there.

Advertisement