Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No TV License - To appear at District Court

• 28-02-2008 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi,

I just received a summons to appear at the District Court. The offence is that of not having a TV License in Jan 2007.

As I recall the evening, someone did knock on the door and ask for a TV License. I said I did not have one. I was renting at the time but had just bought a house which was being refurbished. I was under the impression that I could not transfer a license to the new place and since I was unsure of when I would be moving, I did not buy one.

Now I received the summons. I am assuming a letter went to the old property as a follow up but I did not receive it.

I should also mention that the officer did not enter the property and therefore did not see the TV. Nor did he ask for ID.

So, my question is this.

What is likely to happen on the day? What is the standard fine or outcome in such cases. I don't have a dispute with the fact that I did not have a TV license, I simply had more on my plate at the time and completely forgot about the license inspector appearing at my door until today when I received the summons.

I am a bit worried as I have never appeared in court before and do not relish the prospect.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Did you admit that you had a TV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Don Pedro

I don't know if I specifically said I had a TV but I did say I was moving soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭sillysocks

edited...... I looked up tv licencing online and the information I posted in my first post was wrong sorry!
    Haven't been in the situation before either so can't be of any help I'm afraid.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

No. As long as you own a television or other device capable of taking and translating a television signal (including PC based cards) you need to own a TV license, regardless of whether the set is used to watch television.

Thanks for your reply.

I am aware of the fact that as long as you own a television or other device capable of taking and translating a television signal (including PC based cards) you need to own a TV license, regardless of whether the set is used to watch television.

But my query was this.

What is likely to happen on the day? What is the standard fine or outcome in such cases.

I am a bit worried as I have never appeared in court before and do not relish the prospect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Depends on whether you buy a licence in the interim.

If you buy a licence and are remorseful, €100 would be a the typical fine.

Thanks for your response. Yep, I bought one the very next day...

So, to summarise. Go in, hold my hands up and say I'm sorry.

Then all I can hope for is that the judge is in a good mood that day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Don Pedro wrote: »
    I was renting at the time but had just bought a house which was being refurbished.
    therefore did not see the TV. Nor did he ask for ID.
    As your gaff was being refurbished, did you have a TV in it?
    Yep, I bought one the very next day...
    By "next day" you mean just recently, or after yer man called around? If the latter, and you didn't have one in yer gaff when he popped around... you weren't breaking the law.

Unless you had a TV.

Then you'd be breaking the law.

As your gaff was being refurbished, did you have a TV in it?

By that I meant the house I was moving into. I was renting the property he called to and yes I did have a TV in it although he didnt see it nor did I admit to having one (I think, my memory is not great as regards this)

By "next day" you mean just recently, or after yer man called around? If the latter, and you didn't have one in yer gaff when he popped around... you weren't breaking the law.

Unless you had a TV.

Then you'd be breaking the law.

By "next day" yes I did mean the day after I got the summons. I'm well aware I was breaking the law. I just want to know what to expect on the day in court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

By that I meant the house I was moving into. I was renting the property he called to and yes I did have a TV in it although he didnt see it nor did I admit to having one (I think, my memory is not great as regards this)
    Did you "have" ;););) a TV in your gaff "at the time in question"? ;););)
    I just want to know what to expect on the day in court.
    No idea. Dress in a suit, admit your guilty, and bring money for the charity box.

• Advertisement

You mean I got to buy a damn suit as well???? :eek:

Thanks to all who assisted, it's put my mind at rest.... :D

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I don't know how this one got under the radar.

No legal advice.

Please read the forum charter and stickies before posting again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement