Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Car

Options
  • 28-02-2008 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi.

I'm buying my first car over the next few weeks and wanted some advice on make/ models, I no pretty much nothing.

Basically I want a sports coupe type car along the lines of the Ford Puma or the Hyundai Coupe FX for less than around 7000.

Apart from the 2 cars I mentioned above are there any other autos that fit that type of description that I should keep an eye out for??

Thanks for any help.

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

FTO.
    older and more costly to insure than a Puma or Coupe though (but also much nicer too!)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

What'll u get in a Coupe for 7000 i wouldn't reccomend... A Mitsubishi Fto as mentioned above is a defite good choice... Depending on ur age(insurance), tax and over all running costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mungovan

Hi.

Thanks for the reply. The FTo is cool, can you suggest any other models in this area. The FTO's all seem to be 2 liters, was hoping for around a 1.6 or smaller for insurance sake coz it's my first car.

Cheers,
    D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ha, I like how Colm is pimping his FTO :p

OP, maybe something like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think you covered really most of what is out there in 1.6 with the Puma and Coupe as these are more show than go.

Another choice would be the Honda Civic Coupe:

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Honda/Civic/LS-Sport/712145/
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Honda/Civic/1.6-ils/779673/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 briano1984

no point in going for a coupe if spending less than 7000. only get the old model before the 02 and just doesnt compare. take a look at car zone and check out the civics, 1.4 or 1.6s are pretty decent but for some reason i just have never taken to them. could look at even a focus or older golf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

OP looked for an auto, so some suggestions are out.
    I'm not sure if the Puma came in an Auto. You can get the Civic coupe in an auto as far as I know.

the OP may have been using the word auto instead of "car"

the FTO also comes in 1.8. and a very good auto box if required. The whole point of an FTO is the V6 though! that said if insurance is an issue, and you were considering a Hy Coupe, the 1.8 FTO would still be the better choice.

Sorry, I'm hugely biassed towards them, but visually, a Civic Coupe, Levin, Coupe, Tiga etc. don't come anywhere near the Mitsu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

colm_mcm wrote: »
    the OP may have been using the word auto instead of "car"

the FTO also comes in 1.8. and a very good auto box if required. The whole point of an FTO is the V6 though! that said if insurance is an issue, and you were considering a Hy Coupe, the 1.8 FTO would still be the better choice.

Sorry, I'm hugely biassed towards them, but visually, and dynamically a Civic Coupe, Levin, Coupe, Tiga etc. don't come anywhere near the Mitsu.

My bad! I read the post too quickly, and missed the context of the word!

You're right, the FTO is a better car than the others listed, note my edit. But if they're stuck to 1.6, then they'll have to wait till next time!

you have an fto urself or wat are u driving colm mcm? for a first car id imagine an fto would prob be bit too much insurance wise but if u got the cash and the liciense then go for it. could also check out an integra if ur interested

• Advertisement

briano1984 wrote: »
    you have an fto urself or wat are u driving colm mcm? for a first car id imagine an fto would prob be bit too much insurance wise but if u got the cash and the liciense then go for it. could also check out an integra if ur interested

There are pics of my FTO if you click the link on my signature below. We'd have to know more about the OP's situation for insurance, but a Hyundai Coupe or Integra wouldn't exactly be cheap to insure either.

tats fairly sweet alright. some speed off that id say. wat car u thinking of getting since ur selling that one. my mate had a lancer gsr 1.8t but some scumbags tried to rob it and when couldnt wrecked the car recently. even pulled the steering wheel off.

THinking of getting a Mercedes 450 SL
    something like this:
    img37.jpg
    It'd kill me if someone vandalised the car. they'd have a job trying to get away though, even with the keys!

Apologies to the mungovan for taking the thread way off topic!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

the ford puma is an excellent car to drive, it would be a way better choice than the hyundai coupe!

tats kool. my friend was thinkin of gettin a z3 m3 before the new tax came in. something like 1800 for the tax along wit a fortune on insurance too.

Advertisement