Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[article] Mouse Cured of Type 1 Diabeties

Options
  • 28-02-2008 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

This actually looks like the real deal for a change.

from bbc
    US scientists have managed to rid diabetic mice of the effects of the disease using a cocktail of drugs.

The mice, who had type 1 diabetes, started producing their own insulin after taking a mixture of four drugs.

Previously the same team at Harvard University had only been able to stop the destruction of the cells which make insulin, not regenerate them.

But in a study reported in the New Scientist, they say adding another drug to the original cocktail did just that.

They now hope to start trials in humans.

The only way to manage diabetes is through regular injections of insulin and until now, research into a cure has focused on transplanting the pancreatic beta cells which produce the hormone from donors.

However this is complicated - both because of the difficulty in finding a donor and the problems of rejection - so regenerating a person's own cells is seen as far better option.

Last year, Dr Terry Strom and his team demonstrated that they could stop the on-going destruction of insulin-producing beta cells in mice using a combination of three drugs, although they were unable to regenerate the cells.

However, when they added an extra ingredient - an enzyme called alpha 1 anti-trypsin - a significant rise in the number of beta cells was seen.

It is thought this extra drug may ease the inflammation of pancreas, a key feature of the disease.

"It would appear that by altering the inflammatory state that surrounds this autoimmune disease, you can create an environment that enables expansion of the beta cell mass," said Dr Strom.

He added that it was too early to say whether the beta cells which had stopped making insulin had recovered, or whether new ones were being produced.

Dr Iain Frame, director of research at Diabetes UK said: "This could potentially be very important research in finding a better treatment for diabetes.

"More research is needed as initial studies have only been conducted in mice, but Diabetes UK is pleased that clinical trials are planned and look forward to hearing the results."

Fast Foward 10 years and we might have a proven fix.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

thanks Mike, i was looking for this earlier but couldn't find it. I'm also cautiously optimistic about this as it seems like the perfect fix, but I'm a bit confused at the implications. Maybe one of the docs could clarify, but does the extra enzyme actually make your body produce new copies of the cells, which kind of implies that the problem is the lack of that enzyme, or does that enzyme stop something happening which prevents those cells being distributed? I've probably got it wrong, but my impression was that the insulin producing cells had been killed by the immune system, but this seems to suggest that they are either still there and inhibited, or capable of being produced but lacking one ingredient. It's fascinating stuff..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It was my rough understanding that the cells are not 100% dead its just that they are greatly reduced in number so what insulin they produce is of no value.

Mike.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Sounds like it could just be a cure for people who have just been diagnosed as their insulin producing cells are not quite yet fully destroyed and can come back into action anyway for a short time during the months imediately after diagnosis. I thought that for the like of us who have been diagnosed for years that the cells would have completely given up by now and I'd not expect a drug to be bringing them back into action again at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

that's my point exactly. But the report does seem to suggest that the cells were regenerated, rather than say protected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just opened my copy of Diabetes Ireland magazine and the above gets a passing mention, it says even veteran diabetics have some active cells.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

mike65 wrote: »
    ...it says even veteran diabetics have some active cells.
    Woo Hoo!!!
    :D:D:D:D

Advertisement