Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

college street

Options
  • 28-02-2008 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭

hey does anyone know if its true that all social care students are being moved up to main campus next year??

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

As far as I am aware, most students are being moved from that campus to the main campus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭nikki 122

ah thats great thanks i hate college street more variety in main campus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

We'll still be there by the time we graduate in 2009. (Design Student)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 TI21

any idea why they moving students?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Mini

I can only speak from a part time student perspective, the one thing that I know they do want is to cut the costs in the college. One way to do this is to look at the closing of college street earlier and moving all night courses up to the wit.

therefore less heating ( :rolleyes: ) less leccie no costs of canteen staff, cleaning staff and porters.

I think the cleaners are going to be all contract by the start of the next term in the autumn, so they won't be employed directly by wit. I also believe the porters are in a bit of dispute as well. no idea why - but i am sure if everyone moves to the main campus it will lessen their hours and probably force some in to early retirement or redundnancy.

As a student of the college street campus i think it would be better if every student got the main campus experience, and lets be honest, during the night you certainly don't get that in college street.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    We'll still be there by the time we graduate in 2009. (Design Student)

I would imagine so, it will take a while to complete. The plan is to move people from main campus out to Carraganore which really isnt ready yet.
    TI21 wrote: »
    any idea why they moving students?

Mini is partly right. There is an awful lot of money being spent down there on heating which constantly breaks down. They have limited space and facilites and the council have them restricted (due to the nature of the building and area I assume) to what they can do.

It simply works out a lot more cost effective if they move things around to campuses that are bigger and can offer better services to students. Either way, closing college st. will make a saving in the long run but there will still be money sent as they are opening a new campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Hissing Sideban

I hope the College Street students are being moved to Carriganore but I wouldn't be surprised if College Steet students or them bulk of the anyway are moved to Cork Road and are among the last to be moved.
    There are quite alot of improvements that could be made in College Street even though it is a grade A listed building - for example double glazed internal windows would cut down on heating costs and are allowed once the external appearance of the building is not affected. There are lots of old buildings in Ireland and many solutions have been found to these types of problems.
    The listed building arguement seems to be used to cover a multitude of sins.
    College Street is just stop gap (a fairly long one though) and its very unlikely that money will be spent on improvements, so its just bad luck for the students that have courses located there. They don't get the same services but are still charged the same fees.

On the plus side it is easier to get a parking space.

I would also have to wonder if the College Street campus impacts on WIT's chances of gaining University status. There must be certain criteria that needs to be met - would College street be up to scratch - I wouldn't think so.

Advertisement