Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Training for triathlon on exercise bike

• 28-02-2008 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi,

I am training for my first triathlon at the moment. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are of training for the bike part of it on an exercise bike indoors. I know its obviously not as good as getting out there on the road, but for the earlier stages of ones training would it suffice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭paulksnn

Hi Slugger,
    Well done on getting started.

I'm training for my first as well(started in january).
    I can't speak from a huge amount of experience, but as a start (until you get a bike and get out there), it's better than nothing. I did the same until I got my bike.
    At least the exercise bike will work some of the muscles!

I really would try and get out on a real bike as soon as possible though.
    Getting comfortable with the weather, hills, gear changes, clothing & liquid intake is all important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭daymobrew

If you do some run sessions right after your bike sessions that will be good.
    Maybe even a few run/bike/run/bike/repeat sessions to get your legs used to working when tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭DaDa

slugger145 wrote: »
    Just wondering what peoples thoughts are of training for the bike part of it on an exercise bike indoors.

Hey Slugger... well done on taking up the challenge of Triathlon. I did my first one late last year and have subsequently signed up for 3 this year (Hope to make it 4 once the registration opens for Loughrea).

My solution to getting out on the bike is to make it my commute to work as much as possible. Takes a bit of effort, but it means the bike training is absorbed into a time you wouldn't normally get to train anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Phil01

The exercise back would be better than nothing but its better to get out there get yourself some good winter gear and cycle through the cold. The problem with the exercise bike is that you might get into a rhythm of going too fast and at hight intensity, your work now on the bike should be all low gear slow stuff. Then a month or two introduce the big gear and but more intensity into it.
    If your using the exercise bike make sure you have some resistance on it, you will need to build up your leg muscle base.

Advertisement