Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned unfairly?

Options
  • 28-02-2008 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Right here goes.
    I got kicked from the Nintendo forums for allegedly attempting to promote commercial software. This I can assure you is untrue. I was just trying to be helpful. I have nothing to do with the company or software mentioned. The company in question in Chinese I think. I'm sure you have the ability to check the IP this is being posted from - here in Dublin. My ISP is NTL. I have found posts (ok one post) elsewhere on boards mentioning commercial software in response to other users posts, where those posts have not been edited or removed or the user banned from that forum. For example "http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055076545&highlight=easy+IDE" where easkey1 mentions Easy Recovery Professional. The tone of my post in my opinion did not differ much from that one.
    Can you review the situation please?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Post was edited, hard to call without context.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

based on the fact that you have one other post i'd say it was justified

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It's most likely because your first post was pimping the software, so it looked like a shill account. PM the mod who banned you and explain it to him (RetroGamer, I think). The post is deleted, so I can't really say if that's the only reason you were banned.

kearnsr wrote: »
    based on the fact that you have one other post i'd say it was justified
    Hardly justified. If anything, OP, it was a bad choice for first post.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

humanji wrote: »
    Hardly justified. If anything, OP, it was a bad choice for first post.

99% (yeah I just made that up) of the people who use their first post to promote software or a website selling stuff are only here to make $ and this type of advertising isn't allowed. The ban was justified IMHO as people who post like this are guilty until proved innocent. From my count the OP was the third new member today to be banned for advertising software. The other two didn't come to feedback to defend themselves :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

His user name is also advertising a popular brand of bottled water.

Fiendish!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Your low post count may have been the factor. + 1 for PM the mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 riverrock

@ Ponster
    by OP I presume you mean other post?
    In that case the user I take as an example has 24 posts here and from what I can tell in not banned, or have I not understood the point ?
    @monkeyfudge - I've been using that username for years on a bunch of other forums.

Oh and I didnt even post a link to the prog in the first post. If that makes any difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

riverrock wrote: »
    @ Ponster
    by OP I presume you mean other post?
    In that case the user I take as an example has 24 posts here and from what I can tell in not banned, or have I not understood the point ?
    @monkeyfudge - I've been using that username for years on a bunch of other forums.

Monkeyfudge was extracting the urine! PM the mod, apologise for any misunderstanding, explain you point and see what happens!

OP = Original Post/Poster

riverrock....Let me be the first to welcome you to Boards.ie :)

I'm impressed that after having been banned after just 1 post you managed to find feedback and state your case without flaming anyone. The usual procedure though is to contact the mod of the forum who banned you by PM first keeping the affair private before taking it here where the world gets to judge your case :) Not your fault that you didn't know that though.

monkeyfudge, as already pointed out, was just kidding...

• Advertisement

Well I've PM'ed him now.
    First attempt didnt go due to stupid typo on my part Retrogamer not Retr0gamer doh!
    I PMed another mod who told me to post here. The rest is ...

Ok, I've done as you all suggest, now I just wait I guess.

thanks!

Ponster wrote: »
    99% (yeah I just made that up) of the people who use their first post to promote software or a website selling stuff are only here to make $ and this type of advertising isn't allowed. The ban was justified IMHO as people who post like this are guilty until proved innocent. From my count the OP was the third new member today to be banned for advertising software. The other two didn't come to feedback to defend themselves :)
    Well, it was just that fact that the post (from what I can tell of the title) is about the R4 cards which everyone harps on about, so I wouldn't automatically assume they were shilling. Still, it was an unfortunate choice for a new post, but that's why pencils have erasers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭DisandDat

Throw him to the dogs. End of.

DisandDat wrote: »

People in glasshouses...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭DisandDat

Ponster wrote: »
    People in glasshouses...

ehh?

The ban has been lifted, thanks for your help one and all.

And some say feedabck doesn't work. :) Well done riverrock & retr0gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

You're welcome. You may think I didnt help because I didnt post but trust me ... by not posting I helped you LOADS!

Welcome to Boards.ie .... now click on the ghost icon in my sig and visit the Paranormal Forum ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

6th wrote: »
    You're welcome. You may think I didnt help because I didnt post but trust me ... by not posting I helped you LOADS!

Welcome to Boards.ie .... now click on the ghost icon in my sig and visit the Paranormal Forum ;)

Or he'll haunt you for the rest of your days! WOOOOOOOOOO!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Welcome riverrock.

I see that once again a bit of courtesy has resulted in a positive outcome.

LOL! You have to admit, 6th has a sense of humour! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Just fly under the radar for a few hundred posts or so and youll be grand ;)

Well done OP, you went about it exactly (more or less) the right way *thumbs nose at all those feedback detracters*. Can we have some lolcats now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Its the Dooshbags like this i have the problem with!!!!!

zcTqHiK8c5vmqmc2uD4Fot66_400.jpg

fail.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

lolcat.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Welcome riverrock.

I see that once again a bit of courtesy has resulted in a positive outcome.
    Yeah thats the way to go.

Just a pity that more people wouldnt take this approach.

Well done riverrock.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I laughed at that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I laughed at that. :)

My job here is done.

• Advertisement

My job here is done.
    I thought you'd given up posting for lent?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement