Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lidl cycling gear

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

My missus went down to Rathfarnham just after 9 am and most of the stuff was gone by the time. She got belted round the head by a golfer testing out his gear!

She got me 2 jerseys (only 2 XLs left at that time, good fit for me), a pair of gloves and the helmet. The jerseys and gloves are great, but the helmet is too small for my big head. The advert stated 'sized 6.5 to 7.25' but the stock was all the one 'unisize 53-59'. Her query to the manager on the sizing was answered with 'that's all we have'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Hungrycol wrote: »
    They didn't have the black & white jerseys in the Moore St branch as advertised. Anyone see the black & white jerseys in another branchs?
    I got the advertised black and white jersey in Moore street at 7.30pm, last one mind you and a Large, I need a medium, but the L is fine for 8 quid. Plenty of those shorts with the straps left tho, hehe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Went in to Moore Street to have a look at around 11.30, hovered at the edge of the crowd, picked up a cycle computer, thought 'nah', and left. Dunno, suppose they have bargains but couldn't be bothered with nudging through the hordes. They had some mighty tempting generic chocolate covered caramel biscuit things though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'd almost gurantee Aldi will have cycling gear in the next few weeks.
    Seems to a very reliable pattern at this stage. The specials in Lidl are copied by Aldi a few weeks later.

It's happened many, many times

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭RtD

Next week Lidl has a few cycling bits in again for the cheaper amongst you. The wireless computer and the tool kit caught my eye, any opinions on them?

They also have a deal on WD-40 a few days before ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Love it!
    Contents include: chain whip, spanners, bits, allen keys, flathead screwdriver, wrench, etc
    Can just see it now : "Spanners, yeah, screwdriver, yeah, allen keys, yeah - erm dunno what this is - lets just call it 'stuff' - no 'bits' sounds more technical " :D

edit: yes I know that there are some screwdriver bits in the box, but without a good look it sounds like the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

That toolkit could be handy alright ! Cone spanners in there. Is that a bottom bracket tool as well ? And maybe a cassette removal tool over on the right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

yeah, the usual quality caveat applies though of course. I suppose for domestic bike repair it would be fine, just not for the serious workshop. Might go have a look at it anyhow. Was thinking of getting the park tools one on wiggle for 41.99 sterling - 50 quid or so...

Better view of that toolkit so people can tell me what all the gizmo's are:D Taken from bikeradar.

lidltools-798-99.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 38 frenchie091

What about that "Precision Upright Air Pump"? It's aluminium and not plastic at least. Doesn't look like there's any base on it though. Still, you can't go wrong at €7.99.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

I got an upright pump from lidl - different model but the attachment part looks the same (dual presta/schrader head). I found the head became unrelaiable for gripping presta valves, the rubber became ragged and after a about a year worrying eace time i pumped my tyres that I might let the air out of my tyre and be unable to pump it up again I had to buy a new pump after it stopped working at all. Still - a lot cheaper than the track pump i was forced to buy in halfords, though now I am pumping with confidence.

The under saddle toolkit is worth buying for the bag alone - which is expandable and can hold a couple of tubes and tools and has a plastic mouting and velcro strap - i replaced the tyre levers with my old ones as the plastic was so flimsy it was about as useful as a finger of fudge for getting the tyre off the rim. It also came with a typical bike multi spannery thing and pen-knife style set of alan keys + slotted and philips head - which weren't as bad as the levers. Also a chain link popper.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭albob

It would be great for newbies like me if someone could yake the time and go through the picture of the tool box on page 2 of this thread and explain what the tools are for. For example if I want to replace a chain link with one of those SRAM powerlinks or something like that, is there a tool there to help??

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

albob wrote: »
    if I want to replace a chain link with one of those SRAM powerlinks or something like that, is there a tool there to help??

Bottom right tool will help split your existing chain and then you need to buy some powerlinks at your local bike shop (lbs).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,409 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Any of ye that got the computer the last time, is it any good?, I see its available again and am tempted.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

The computer is fine.

I would have reservations about the quality of the tools though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

penexpers wrote: »
    I would have reservations about the quality of the tools though.

They're very cheap alright. Has anyone tried them?

Also, looking at the minipump as a spare for a future tour. Says it can go to 8 bar:rolleyes: Don't believe a bit of that but anyone any feedback on it? Would it get you back rolling after a puncture?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

oobydooby wrote: »
    They're very cheap alright. Has anyone tried them?

I haven't tried the Lidl ones but from using cheap tools in the past, I know you get what you pay for. These days, I'm buying mostly Park Tools stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i always wanted this :
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17700

probably try the lidl one cos i'm a cheapskate (and all the other tools i've got from there are sound

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭messed_up

blorg wrote: »
    You're on the ball there ;-) I have these Cannondale Classique Bibshorts which I can report are very comfortable and severely discounted in small size (€26.) The back pocket can be handy for things like keys and a phone if you are not wearing a pocketed jersey.

Thanks for the heads up on these. Just ordered a pair. Can't really go wrong for less than €32 including delivery!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

kenmc wrote: »
    yeah, the usual quality caveat applies though of course. I suppose for domestic bike repair it would be fine, just not for the serious workshop. Might go have a look at it anyhow. Was thinking of getting the park tools one on wiggle for 41.99 sterling - 50 quid or so...
    The one in Wiggle for 41.99 is Lifeline, Park Tool would be a lot more expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

Would someone here be willing to volunteer picking stuff up for the rest of us?

I for one have to be in work so I’m gonna miss all the bargains. If someone could get the stuff for me it’d be deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭BillieBob

Did anyone get the computer? Was in moore st at opening and they didn't have any (didn't have the minipump either).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭franglan

Just after buying the computer in lidl on the headford road in galway, loads of bicycle stuff left by the way, let you know how it is later....

Plenty of stuff in Deansgrange at about mid-day, everything seemed to be there and no sign of a rush on it. I've no bike today so can't really test it out just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

might try after work but i aint rushing anywhere anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Grabbed the toolbox this morning before heading into work. Will have a gander at it tonight. Plenty of stuff in there, Lidl in Balinteer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Snapper1

Tons of stuff in the Coolock branch at 10ish this mornin.

Just be careful if you're locking the bike up outside though, they've bolt cutters for sale aswell!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

There’s still plenty in Coolock when I was there for lunch.

Be warned, the nearest ATM to that Lidl is back in Coolock village. I had a long sweaty lunch break today.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Balinteer for me after work I guess. Toolbox is what I would be after, although I'll get the Wiggle one if it doesn't work out (only ~47.15 EUR with their current discount offer.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

The Bluebell branch (it's the Walkinstwon side of Bluebell btw) usually have most items for days after the offer - even the good stuff!

Advertisement