Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

meta tags and google

Options
  • 28-02-2008 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hey guys
    i am designing a website at the moment, i was told that if i include keywords in the meta tags, that it will allow the website to climb the google search results page, slowly but surely is this true, is this their purpose?
    if so how do i add data between the meta tags, do i need to use inverted commas or wat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

When it comes to Google from my observations the content of the title tag seems to be much more important than the keywords meta tag. I assume it is taken into account somewhere in their algorithm but at this point I'd even suspect that the description meta tag gets more attention. Using divs rather than tables will also help your ranking as will using heading and bold tags appropriately in your content as well as using your keywords in the alt attribute of your images and the title attribute in your links.

It is crucial with Google to get good quality organic links into your site and the best way to do that is to provide something worth linking to but you can help by registering the site with the various web directories. You might also look at providng google with a sitemap which you can do through their webmater tools.

If you want to know how the meta tag should be formatted then right click this page and choose 'view source' ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It's very much worth looking at the Google Webmaster Guidelines and the Google Webmaster Central

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Sssssssssssh, the SEO companies might whack you for giving out that info ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭BRENSH

Apparently google has a very advaced search algorithm in place (perfected through the years) There are many factors which are used including title, keyword density, and even the tags surrounding such keywords. i.e <h1> is more prominant that <p> . However I dont think that google use meta tag "keywords". They do however use I believe meta tag description.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

page rank baby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

Placebo wrote: »
    page rank baby

Indeed, the more webpages that link to you, the more important you are...

Advertisement