Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukulele lessons

Options
  • 28-02-2008 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Yes. It IS a ridiculous little instrument. Still. Anyone have any idea where I could get lessons?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I have one, *trying* to teach myself, but I'd do better with lessons I think!
    :)

Only person I know that plays one (well) around town is Little John Nee, the actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mahell

Yeah. I kinda half know him through a friend of mine. I'd imagine he's a bit busy to be giving lessons though. Are you making any headway under your own steam? I'm trying to learn chords on it but finding them dead tricky. And it's a bit of a pain to keep tuned. Every time I put it down it seems to magically knock itself out of whack :confused: I'd say it's a fairly cheap one though. Friend of mine got it for me as a "joke" birthday present so maybe it's not the best quality in the world.

Yeah, LJ is a busy man, if I see him about I may ask him tho..
    I actually bought mine specifically to use at a charity gig a year ago. 21/2 chords and it went well ;)
    My problem is discipline:p
    I would do way better with the guilt/incentive of learning with a teacher, and the better you get, the more you want to play it.

I have one of those 'fleas' - a more modern uke. A Hawaiian friend says they are good. Do you know the traditional tuning...this helps..
    An electronic tuner is good too.
    There is a brill cabaret on the West Coast of the USA every year called Ukealooza, maybe someday..in Galway... :)
    Keep me posted how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stevo11

Ha! Didn't expect to see this thread...
    I've been playing on and off for about a year.. picked up some decent strings and put them on a VERY cheap Uke, nice sound when played with Guitar tho, but need to upgrade to something half decent soon.
    Loads of chords out there, check out the band Beirut (especially "Postcards from Italy")
    And this site :
    http://ukulelehunt.com/2007/07/05/beirut-postcards-from-italy/

Oh, and , check out the Uke orchestra of Great Britain, saw them in Galway last year, brilliant!

If ya ever fancy a jam give me a shout
    Steve

I have a couple of the Ukulele Orchestra's albums. It's pretty amazing what they can do alright, but I suppose they cover a pretty broad range, vocally and on their instruments.

I'd be well up for a jam, but I'd like to get some kind of a handle on it first. I'm coming from the keyboard (and a brief sideswipe at the saxophone) so this whole "making music from plucking strings" thing is all still a bit new to me.

By the way Stevo, what kind of strings did you get for yours? Mine still has the crappy nylon ones that came with it.

And just to put it out there again, anyone desperately looking to give ukulele lessons, your time has come!

• Advertisement

I'd be up for a jam too, but same, I'd like to be able to play a *bit* better first :)
    Did ya try Powells for strings, they used to have them?

Didn't chance Powell's yet. Might drop in there after the bank holiday. I came across this site too if it's of any interest: http://www.doctoruke.com/

A few simple tunes and he does a lot about chords and chord changes. But some of them are damn tricky. But I'm up to C and F! Woo hoo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 tony6523

HI FOLKS,
    JUST TO LET YOU ALL KNOW IN CASE YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED THAT AN INITIAL MEETING TO SET UP AN IRISH UKE CLUB IS BEING HELD IN DUBLIN WEEKEND OF AUGUST 9/10.
    NOT SURE HOW MANY WILL BE THERE (NOT A HUGE AMOUNT OF UKE PLAYERS IN IRELAND...YET!) BUT THE MORE THE MERRIER.

A VERY WELL KNOWN CALIFORNIAN UKE PLAYER CALLED DAN SCANLAN IS GOING TO BE THERE AND IS GOING TO GIVE SOME WORKSHOPS. CHECK OUT HIS WEBSITE "COOL HAND UKE". HE IS RENOWNED AS A UKE TEACHER AND IT REALLY IS GOING TO GIVE A FOCUS TO THIS STARTUP.

THERE WILL BE PLAYERS OF ALL LEVELS THERE. (I'M A BEGINNER MYSELF) SO NO ONE SHOULD FEEL SELF CONSIOUS.

HOPE YOU CAN MAKE IT.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED EMAIL ME AT "tonyboland@esatclear.ie"

Tony:)

PS: I will post the venue and the times by the end of this week!

Hi Tony,

I'll try and make this, would be great to meet up for a jam.

Regards,
    Stephen

Sent you an email Tony, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 dozeyrosey

hi, just thinking of getting a ukulele, it appeals to me...dont want to get one and end up frustrated by not having the 'push' by a teacher...any luck guys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Hah, just saw this on the front page :D Got a ukulele about 3 years ago to mess around with, and was just playing it over the last couple of days, great craic :D

It's dead easy to transition to uke if you already play guitar. Just a matter of knowing the tuning, and then remembering the chords.

Someone mentioned earlier that theirs keeps going out of tune -- mine does too! I'm still using the same strings as when I got it, and they're nylon. The pegs aren't that tight, so I have to take a screw-drivers to them every so often :( Some day I'll invest in a "real" uke, cos it's a pretty sweet instrument and very portable :D

Rosey, I bought a cheap uke in the music shop across from AIB on shop st (the name escapes me now.. its on the corner.. ), to see if I'd like it. I bought decent strings and I plucked away on it for about a year, recently I upgraded to a "proper" uke and have been playing more and more. Its great, love it, still have the original uke which I keep in the car.
    Try getting to one of our ukuhooleys in Dublin (once a month, date, time and place posted here on egroups. )

Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

A few folks in Ireland making some very nice music with Ukeleles...

www.myspace.com/peterdelaney

www.myspace.com/vertigosmyth

www.myspace.com/laurasheeranmusic

Not a joke instrument at all! :D

Thanks for that...some good enthusiasm there!!

...any ideas what price range a pretty good one is and are nylon or steel strings the way to go...still no word of a teacher tho....rolleyes.gif

emm.. you can spend mad money on one but I bought this one a couple of months ago from a german vendor on the 'net, I'll justify a more expensive one when/if I go to the next level. Its got great tone, volume and action.

http://www.justecordes.fr/catalogue/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=78_88&products_id=447

yeah, getting more into the idea as the hours go on...

thanks for the enthusiasm!! Still no word of a teacher tho ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Unenlightened

There's some good lessons on youtube.

I've gone back to just playing guitar, but still pick up the uke now and then to mess around on. If anyone's up for a jam, let me know :)

dozeyrosey wrote: »
    hi, just thinking of getting a ukulele, it appeals to me...dont want to get one and end up frustrated by not having the 'push' by a teacher...any luck guys?

Have to agree with you there dozey. You need the threat of a teacher clucking his or her tongue at you and shaking their head in dismay at your lack of progress at the end of the week!

Like Unenlightened said there's lots of stuff up on YouTube and Metacafe, but it's not quite the same.

Still no joy on a teacher I assume...

Yeah, the teacher I thought of is mad busy for a month or so anyway. I need a bit of motivation! Missed out on the Dublin meet-ups due to distance, it would be good to have a Galway meet.

• Advertisement

inisboffin wrote: »
    Yeah, the teacher I thought of is mad busy for a month or so anyway. I need a bit of motivation! Missed out on the Dublin meet-ups due to distance, it would be good to have a Galway meet.

I'd be up for that. If for no other reason than to present a potential teacher with a pre-assembled class of eager neophytes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Unenlightened

I'm up for a jam too...

I dunno if I am even ready for a 'jam' aside from tapping along rhythm on the body!:p
    Yeah, how about using the social space some evening for a get together, we could ask..

Yup, I've missed out on the last 2 in Dublin too due to impending family commitments but would love to have a local jam.
    Can those interested PM me with you email addresses and I'll add you to the Ukulele Ireland mailing list? We can try organise something from there (time/day/venue/tunes/etc)?

inisboffin wrote: »
    I dunno if I am even ready for a 'jam' aside from tapping along rhythm on the body!:p
    Yeah, how about using the social space some evening for a get together, we could ask..

Don't worry inis.... you wouldn't be alone in the ukulele percussion section. Social space meet up sounds like a good idea. Anyone that can actually play be interested in going or will it be a lot of floundering beginners?

:) Sounds like we have some interest, I will pm you to be on that list Stevo, thanks!

Hi All,
    Good luck with arranging a Uke meeting in Galway Folks. I wish you all the best with that.
    I can tell you that since we started Ukulele Ireland in August our numbers have grown steadily. We meet on the second saturday of each month in Dunlaoire, Co. Dublin. We start a 12noon to allow for people coming from round the country.
    We have had uke workshops from two of the best uke players in the world, Dan "Cool-hand Uke") Scanlon from California and Steven Sproat from the UK. and all of us have gained tremendously from these uke masters. More workshops from international players are planned.
    Its also great fun meeting other uke players from all around Ireland. People come from Limerick, Cork, Derry, Belfast, Drogheda, Waterford, Scotland, Korea, Spain, and of course a number from Dublin.
    Just to let you know all are welcome.
    My email address once again is "tonyboland@esatclear.ie"
    You might also like to check out the blog "Ukulele Ireland"
    Keep on Ukein'
    Tony:)

As I read my last posting (above) I realise I actually left GALWAY out of the list of counties that members have come from......OK, I am standing in the corner facing the wall for 24 hrs!
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 45 eamonn60

anyone in Galway with a uke would like to get together for a bit of jamming would love to hear from you, eamonn:)

• Advertisement

yeah, def! Been meaning to get back to this.. when suits? Where would be good?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement