Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukulele lessons

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 eamonn60

Hi I live near Gort, well between Kilcolgon and Gort, what part of the county are you, Eamonn

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stevo11

not far from Clarinbridge. There were a few more people interested on this forum, I must dig out the emails.

you are only five minutes from me which is great, would be easier to phone dont really want to put my no on board though what is the beast way to contact,eamonn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

We had the inaugural Galway Ukeahooley last night in Oranmore. Good fun + a good jam.
    Anyone else interested in another in a couple of weeks time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I'd be up for it. I had to learn the Uke for a show a couple of years back, picked it up this year, I'm making slow progress.

I got my own only a couple of months ago, oh yes, and regarding all the remarks on bad strings and tuning (I believe the problem lies in the tuning keys) Most Ukes use gut/nylon, and you only start seeing metal strings appear (in the C and low G if that's your tuning) in the Tenor Uke.

PS: I'm not that clever, I was just the eejit who questioned the strings on my Uke and it had to be explained:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I'd love to give it a lash too, my poor uke has been abandoned for other creative outlets. I could at least learn a few chords, and commit that much to a jam!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 mskippy

Hi I'm going to buy myself a uke very soon and I'm just wondering if there's still any uke activity in Galway?

Have met with Eamonn a couple of times in Oranmore. Would be up for a jam/lesson.

Cool. In the mean time, any tips on uke buying? Any music shops you can reccommend?

I've looked up a few tips and I think I'll start with one of the smaller ones (soprano?).

Quite alot of people are saying they have problems with the frets being too far apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Powells on the corner of shop street and Abbeygate street lower is good. I got mine in the music shop in the cornstore. If you want to be really confident, have a look on-line to check the quality and price to expect range before you go in.

In the mean time, when's the next Jam???:D

Hi sorry computer down last few days, would love to meet up for a bit of ukulele sharing, I am getting a small collection of ukuleles now have found the Lanakai brand very good bought one on ebay recently came with a set of Aquila strings as standard which are great quality and the ukes are cheap too, some of the other brands are cheap but are only toys really, got last one frome states came with a padded bag and a hanger for the wall for about 60 euros.Look forward to meeting up, regards, Eamonn

So I bought my uke, beautiful little thing it is, and would very much like to meet up soon for a lesson because I'm getting slightly disheartened trying to teach myself :(!

Hi would love to meet next week with anyone interested have had no internet for a while and am waiting for new provider to connect me, would maybe Wed evening next week suit everybody, look forward to it, Eamonn

I'd be up for that (provisionally! ;-) ) ...

Steve

I'm definitely up for that.

Hi were meeting in Oranmore Wed at 8.30 in snug of pub opposite filling station, on corner with alleyway down the side, Riordans I think , look forward to it, Eamonn :)

Cool. I'll probably be there really early as I have to find the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Sorry to miss it! Give us a shout if you have one in town anytime soon, can't make Oranmore.

What part of Galway do you live in so we can know for next time.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement