Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CNC machine software ?

Options
  • 28-02-2008 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi Folk,

not exactly 'modeling' question , but I know for sure some people here have CNC machines ...
    I just 'inherited' one from friend - it has 3 stepper motors connected to box and Drimel rotary tool mounted on.
    Inside box, there are three parts - appears to be s.motor controllers - connected to 25pin connector.
    I guess, this box has to be connected to parallel port (LPT) of a computer ...

Can anyone guess what software would work with this ?

Thank, Dennis.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭loopingfred

Hi Dennis,

Sotware : Ninos (around 100 euros with a dongle)
    Best to use Windows 98, or XP with the latest version.
    You can download the trial version of Ninos for free to do all your tests and so on.
    Other than that, you can use turbocnc, Galaad, Open CNC and so on, but I hate soft were you need another one to convert the G code when you have a graphical one that do everything for you in a click of a mouse !

One advice, change the Dremel by something more serious like a Kress 500 or 800 !
    Worth the investment !

Fred

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DennisZ

Thanks Fred
    Sotware : Ninos (around 100 euros with a dongle)
    Best to use Windows 98, or XP with the latest version.
    This NINOS - http://www.cadcam-ninos.com/ ? Domain has expired :(
    Google shows lots of refs to Ninos , but real thing is nowhere to be found ...

btw, does it have only French interface or it speaks English too :) ?
    One advice, change the Dremel by something more serious like a Kress 500 or 800 !

does it have more power/precision ?

Nope, that one :
    http://www.iprocam.com/accueil/index.htm :)

Sorry, just realised the website is in French ! :( But that the one anyway !
    You can ask Nono in English if you have any questions, or myself. We are both on CNC mailing list, so I can get in touch with him if needed. :)
    Go to the download section, and try it ! Best way for you to see what that thing is capable to do !
    You will need to configure the software first, I can help as well if you have any questions.
    As far as I remember, the soft is in English too (choice at the install).

For the Kress, well, this is a professional router !
    Precise ? yes, very, let's say that thing turn straight without any vibrations !
    Power ? More than you need ! There is an electronic variator built in, that mean you have a constant speed whatever you are cutting. That give you much more cleaner cuts.
    I cut almost anything with mine (Kress 800...) and still going strong ! :)

By the way, here is my machine with photos of the building :
    http://www.gliderireland.net/cnc.htm

The small Dremel for the test, and at the end, you can see the Kress :D A bit more serious ! ;)

Hey Fred,

would you, please, help me to understand what should I buy from this guy ?

this - Software NINOS DONGLE

or

this - Software NINOS 2 LICENCES

or both ?

• Advertisement

Hi Dennis,
    The dongle is for a life time licence. You can install the software as many time as you like !
    The licence one, is you pay for 2 licences (so, 2 install.. If you PC crash, you can install the soft once again... I know, that's a bit weird, but it seems that is the only way he found to protect the soft...)

But, have you downloaded the trial version first ? I think you need to try it first before investing on it (well, or any other soft !)
    I have Ninos 3.1 trial if you are interrested.
    That will allow you to do everything, just the cutting stage (when the machine is going to cut) is limited to xx segments...
    This version works great on Win98 (yep, another advice... Have a dedicated machine for your Cnc...)

But, have you downloaded the trial version first ?

Thanks Fred,

yes , I have trial version - looking great !

main installation was in French :)
    have not noticed initially - there is separate 'language plugin' available.

my plan is to make it drawing plans first - 'plotter' ...

Hmm ok, let me know if you need help anyway !

A tip for the drawings, they work better if you save them in DXF, R12 in Autocad :)

Advertisement