Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT on Second Life - request for help

Options
  • 28-02-2008 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hiya,

DIT has recently built a "campus" in Second Life, and some of the staff are investigating how it could be used to aid learning and teaching.

http://update.dit.ie/11-02-08/04news-briefs06.php

http://ditsecondlife.blogspot.com/

One of the things we are considering is using Second Life to allow new students to meet each other before they arrive on campus. We could write to them in advance, and tell them they could go to the virtual campus on a certain date and time. One idea was that DJ soc or someone like that could stream music live into the virtual campus.

Last year we referred first years to your good selves on Boards, and feedback was very positive. Our thinking is that we'd still refer people to this board, as many students' PCs might have trouble running Second Life.

The main question is, have students heard of Second Life? Second, do you think anyone would go there (Even if we got 10-15 people there we'd be happy)? And thirdly would any DIT students/graduates be interested in visiting Second Life that evening to meet the new students and introduce them to the weird ways of DIT?

Any thoughts? Is it a Good idea / stupid idea / Waste of time? Is Second Life so last year? If it is, then what's the new Second Life / Youtube / Bebo / Facebook / whatever? (Rag Week probably isn't the best time to ask people to think about things)

Feel free to PM me.

Thanks,
    Brian G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i would say this board is a good place to ask questions about DIT etc. if you're a fresher, but a regular "second life" meeting would be an interesting experiment, especially if you can model one of the campus sections into the "game".

i would imagine plenty of graduates, oldies would check out such an event just out of sheer curiosity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

I've heard of second life but haven't actually investigated it... and I've never heard anyone mention it in college, or in real life for that matter, but I think it could be a great idea. Quite the step ahead of the pack I'd imagine and would really banish the awkwardness of those meet&greet sessions that various courses have (though unlike the "friendship lunches" you wouldn't have random Irish people turning up for free-food)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭randomcountdown

99% would be dressed as furries and it'd just be an unpleasant experience for us all.

Advertisement