Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA IV Vs. Spore

Options
  • 28-02-2008 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

I last night made a .50cent bet with my friend that Spore would sell more copies than GTA IV...

before I go on about how right I am, I just wanna see some reactions to that statement...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Spore is gonna be a really cool game, but I just dont think that it'll sell as many GTA IV, mainly due to the type of game it is. I mean 8 year olds will wana play GTA IV (and you know must of them will get their hands on it too), can't really say the same about spore imo.

Both are gonna be great games though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

over what time frame?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

GTA will wipe the floor with Spore.

Both will be great but GTA is much more mainstream and the fact it has a IV after it shows how much previous market awareness it has.

I'd say 3:1 selling ratio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

My money would be on GTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I'm not so sure, if Spore took off like The Sims GTA would have no chance, its also on more platforms than GTA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I can't understand all the fuss about Spore myself. Mind you, I thought The Sims was rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Considering the cult following GTA has, Spore has little chance of beating it. Also, Spore isn't being released on 360 or PS3 iirc, so that will majorly hurt it's sales. Add to this that a lot of people will get Spore for PC and Mac from "non retail sources" ;);) and I think you made a poor choice :D

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    I'm not so sure, if Spore took off like The Sims GTA would have no chance, its also on more platforms than GTA.

Perhaps, it's still a very ambitious and essentially unknown title when compared to GTAs solid base. Of course it could go either way but right now I think GTA has almost everything in it's favour.
    Ham-man wrote:
    Also, Spore isn't being released on 360 or PS3 iirc

That's what I thought aswel, articles confirming it for the 360 and Ps3 are dated back in '05 or '06. I thought platforms confirmed were PC, Mac, DS, Mobiles and Wii, but the DS, Mobile and potentially Wii versions are not the "main" product so it would be unfair to count them. However saying that, I'd imagine that over time you'll see it accross all platforms, they've certainly suggested that was their goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

spore won't take off like the sims, the sims appeals to the most casualist of gamers, even the idea of spore won't swing with casual gamers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don't think Spore will ever achieve the popularity of the Sims. While millions of casual gamers enjoy their virtual doll houses, the whole evolution conceit doesn't appear to have as much mainstream appeal as dressing up avatars in funny costumes and then trying to get them to light their house on fire.

Also, from the gameplay videos released thus far, I really don't think Spore looks all that special. Gameplay looks way too simplified.

• Advertisement

Of all the people I know who play the Sims nearly 90% are girls who play the sims in between watching the E! channel and reading OK magazine. 100% of these would not have a clue of the existence of either GTA or Spore.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭zuchum

K,to clarify anyway,it's over a long time period,maybe 1 and a half/2 years.

My reasons for opting for spore are numrous and many:

It is coming out on the best selling systems in the world (Wii,DS), and obviously PC/Mac so it will have a huge potential base.

I think it will take off hugely in Japan and contribute millions of sales especially if the DS version starts to get good reviews, most DS games are flying out of shops over there.

With GTA 4, hardly any xbox 360's in Japan,relatively small amount of PS3s,also the Japanese tend to go for those sort of games less. In US and Europe, I think it will do amazingly,obviously, but I think the time period of around 2 years gives me the edge,as Spore will be a grower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Jackabo

GTA all the way i think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Whats spore ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Never heard of it either until I googled to find out.

An example of how San Andreas did in Japan.

http://pcgames.gwn.com/news/story.php/id/11104/GTA_San_Andreas_Tops_Japan_Sales_Charts.html

Fair enough on the PS2 - but japs lapped it up. And will continue to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

zuchum wrote: »
    I last night made a .50cent bet with my friend that Spore would sell more copies than GTA IV...
    1/2 a cent bet!

On Topic: My finger has been far from the pulse lately. I've not heard of spore, but GTA4, I know between that and GT5 I'll be buying a HD console.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Spore's only out on the pc and wii, hence...

Most pc players will illegally download it...

And most wii players won't even have heard of it...

So it hasn't got a prayer of outselling gta4.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

what happens if they both sell the same amount eh?

did you consider that?

Also, I reckon..... Spore will win, cause I want it to.

tba wrote: »

did you consider that?

Hence the saying bet with your head, not with your heart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

An example of how San Andreas did in Japan.

http://pcgames.gwn.com/news/story.php/id/11104/GTA_San_Andreas_Tops_Japan_Sales_Charts.html

Fair enough on the PS2 - but japs lapped it up. And will continue to do so.

IS that real?

Talk about hype and anticipation!

But GTA's marketing has been spot on before and can only get better. The "please ban this game" articles in newspapers etc really helped it too.
    No doubt GTA 4 will sell by the Ocean Freight load.

I for one will be cleaning the dust of my 360 to play this.

Also the fact that everyone has XBox Live and can see what other people are playing might help spore a bit (if its on console)

KoKane wrote: »
    IS that real?

Talk about hype and anticipation!

You realise that was the chart for this time last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

You realise that was the chart for this time last year?

It still took ages to come out over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

tba wrote: »

did you consider that?

You willing to buy several million copies of it though? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Yes

Also the online/offline element of spore might reduce illegal downloads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

Nah, GTAIV is practically immersed in the mainstream, and so will trounce Spore in sales. That's why for years people were buying FIFA over PES, mass appeal over quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

Gizzle wrote: »
    Nah, GTAIV is practically immersed in the mainstream, and so will trounce Spore in sales. That's why for years people were buying FIFA over PES, mass appeal over quality.
    I wouldn't be so sure of that, people are always crying out for new and innovative material, and I think spore has that in spades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

GTA hands down even though I'd like to see Spore doing well, it won't do anywhere near R*'s banker title.

I wouldn't be so sure of that, people are always crying out for new and innovative material, and I think spore has that in spades.
    I dont agree.

What have all these top selling games of recent times got in common:
    Halo 3
    COD 4
    Sim 2
    Half-Life2:Ep2
    Fifa 08
    PES 08
    Zelda TP

All sequels, all rehashed versions of the originals, all massive sellers.

Spore should do well. But comparing it to sonmething as famous and mainstream as GTA? Owned.

• Advertisement

gamers are always crying out for new and innovative material, and I think spore has that in spades.

Fixed. :p

Like Shiverin' said, just look at top selling games such as Madden, new and innovative? Hardly, but one of the biggest selling games becuase it has mass appeal/recognition.

Advertisement