Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much does it cost to replace a chain?

Options
  • 28-02-2008 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭

. just looking for a roundabout figure. Afaik, a decent chain costs no more than €10 but im not 100% sure. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

. just looking for a roundabout figure. Afaik, a decent chain costs no more than €10 but im not 100% sure. Thanks in advance

a crap chain will cost more than a tenner:eek::eek:

how many gears do you have, i use sram pc950 which is a 9spd chain and costs about 40 quid.:D

dont use shimano, they are crap, ive snapped 2 ultegra chains in a month, before i went to sram and have only snapped it once in a year and this was myfault for shock loading on a hill.

some cahins ive seen cost over e300:eek::eek::eek:

its good practice to change the cassette too.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

just looking for a roundabout figure.

It really depends on the type of chain being replaced, i.e. whether it is ten speed, nine speed, etc and the purpose of the bike. If it's just a commuter bike, then you'd probably get one for less than €15.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

kona wrote: »
    its good practice to change the cassette too.

I've heard this advice before too and I always found it to be a bit to be a bit of overkill. I'd go through around four chains before I'd need to replace a cassette. They just seem to wear at a much slower rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

kona wrote: »
    how many gears do you have, i use sram pc950 which is a 9spd chain and costs about 40 quid.:D

You're paying €40 for a PC50 chain? Jaysus, you're being robbed.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9911

To the OP - you're looking at €15-€20 for the chain and a few euro more for fitting by a shop if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Morgan wrote: »
    I normally get the pack of 3, so there's always a spare chain around the house, which makes it easier to replace the chain regularly. I haven't had to change my cassette in ages!

M

• Advertisement

good practice and reality are i suppose totally different:D:D
    i was told it was good practice to swap hoses, engine mounts when i needed a new water pump and rad....feck that:D

ye i know i got robbed, but i was desperate after my ultegra failed a day before a mtb trip........guess who was charging €40.......:D:D:D;):)

chain reaction all the way.....im getting a nice delivery today....LX hollow tech 54t chainset and dmr v8s and xt anniversary edition mech and shifters...at a bargain e92:eek:

15 - 20 sounds about right if you know where to go(chain reaction) ive only ever seen rubbish for sub 20 quid in shops., but shops here are ott on prices for good gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

el tonto wrote: »
    I've heard this advice before too and I always found it to be a bit to be a bit of overkill. I'd go through around four chains before I'd need to replace a cassette. They just seem to wear at a much slower rate.
    It's good practice generally if you're replacing the cassette, to replace the chain. A worn chain will damage a new cassette quicker than a worn cassette will damage a new chain. It also depends on what kind of rider you are. If you don't shift gears a lot (i.e. cycle using the same 3/4 cogs), you'll probably get away with it. If you change gear a lot, you may not.
    Best practice is to inspect your cassette before replacing the chain. If you have curved teeth or badly worn or broken teeth, then replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

i got a shimano chain for a tenner from Pro Bike Kit

seamus wrote: »
    It's good practice generally if you're replacing the cassette, to replace the chain. A worn chain will damage a new cassette quicker than a worn cassette will damage a new chain. It also depends on what kind of rider you are. If you don't shift gears a lot (i.e. cycle using the same 3/4 cogs), you'll probably get away with it. If you change gear a lot, you may not.
    Best practice is to inspect your cassette before replacing the chain. If you have curved teeth or badly worn or broken teeth, then replace it.

dont the teeth go like a needle??? ive seen this before, its mad!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Freddy687

How do you know when a chain in worn. I know you can get chain checkes but are these just sold by the companies to make you change earlier that needed.
    I have a newish bike nov '07 got a 1000+km on it should I be looking at a change??

• Advertisement

Freddy687 wrote: »
    How do you know when a chain in worn. I know you can get chain checkes but are these just sold by the companies to make you change earlier that needed.
    I have a newish bike nov '07 got a 1000+km on it should I be looking at a change??

usually when the gears just will not shift correctly after every adjustment possible.also when it is twisted.
    var and park tools make chain checks, and they dont make chains.
    do shimano and sram do them too????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Freddy687

Thanks Kona.
    Will fly be chain reactions site and see what chain checkers they have.
    At the moment the chain is behaving nicely, so may get another 1000km before a change is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Someone told me to get an sidi (sp?) chain and they dont cost much.

Advertisement