Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trading competition

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Either that, or they work in the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Long EUR/USD positions would see these type of gains over the last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭portomar

Sean_K wrote: »
    Either that, or they work in the field.

last time they ran this comp they had to change the rules midway because they saw that the leaderboard was dominated by people betting the farm on highest volatility instrument, half went bust, half shot to top of leaderboard.also i was told that one of the leaders in the closing weeks was the wife of someone "in the know" who made her dissappear from the leaderboard the week before it closed.

point is this comp negates risk management, THE most important aspect of trading, by giving free money. useful as a papertrading exercise but probably the leaders are there by accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭PDelux

point is this comp negates risk management, THE most important aspect of trading, by giving free money. useful as a papertrading exercise but probably the leaders are there by accident
    That's exactly what I'm talking about. They must be betting a huge % of the cash on one instrument and as you say the problem with that is that nothing is 100% and you can either win big or lose big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ixus

Ah it's a game, no real money is being used, sure I've entered it and gone short HBOS, Barclays and went long RBS thinking they might have had some good news:rolleyes:.
    Am now short everything EUR USD for the hell of it. Surely it must drop below 1.50 by the weekend or it's here to stay???

As you can guess, I've put no real thought into this whatsoever and they're not plays I would ever make in real life. Just a bit of risk free fun...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ixus

ixus wrote: »
    Am now short everything EUR USD for the hell of it. Surely it must drop below 1.50 by the weekend or it's here to stay???
    :o Thankfully it wasn't real money...I left that running for a day without looking and ended up 7.7K lighter on the simulator account:o

Made it all back plus 2K by shorting Nasdaq, Dow, Russell and S&P today :D

Going to short Nikkei over the weekend and see what the account looks like Monday AM.

Anyone else having fun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭PDelux

Anyone else having fun?
    I kinda lost interest in it after that. I already have a real account with them to "have fun" with :)

Advertisement