Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Paper two feedback (no questions or results here)

Options
  • 28-02-2008 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭

There was a question on the pre toady, I am not going to say what it is, but those who did the pre might recognize. Its paper two in or about question 2. People in my school, fresh from private tuition and trying to harvest max points, claimed it was not on the curriculum. Any one agree, or any want to point out how. I think it is on it, and is quite easy once you click it.

Vaguely its the q with the two circles and the 90 degree angle. Dont post the details of it please.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Think I know the question you mean, I didn't have a clue how to do it unfortunatly :p

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Equation of circle centre (0,0) and radius r {x^2 + y^2 = r^2}.

General equation of circle centre (-g, -f) and radius is x^2 + y^2 + 2gx + 2fy + c = 0, with r = (g^2 +f^2 +c)^(1/2)

Equation of tangent at (x1, y1) to x^2 + y^2 = r^2.

Intersection of line and specific circle.

Trigonometric and algebraic parametric equations of circle (confined to verification that given parametric equations represent a circle).

Systems of circles excluded.

Transformation techniques excluded from this section.

There's what the syllabus has to say about the circle. But I don't know enough about the question to determine whether it's on the course or not.

Is this DEB?

EDIT: Looked at my paper, it's the same question. It definitely sits comfortably within the confines of the syllabus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ln-1

I don't think it was on my mock. mine had nothing about that, but if you wanna e mail a similar one to me i'll do it for you? Was it co ordinate geometry?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭jennyq

Hopefully I'm not spoiling anything for anyone hoping to try themselves (so be warned, don't read on if you do :p) but it's basically pythagoras' theorem so it is on the syllabus, just takes a bit of thinking. Being honest I didn't do it in the exam, I did it afterwards, so that probably made it a bit easier!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

ln-1 wrote: »
    I don't think it was on my mock. mine had nothing about that, but if you wanna e mail a similar one to me i'll do it for you? Was it co ordinate geometry?
    co-ordinate geometry of a circle, ye

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Thanks for the post Cokehead Mother, now ill be able to slam it in their faces!!!! As far is I know that was the question they were bitching about, and it was mentioned a few times. Even though I do applied maths privately, I hate the whole private tuition mindframe - unbelievably engrossed in past papers and revising solutions to that answers for the past 30 years.

For example, I was outside a maths exam, and one of my buddys (gets private tuition) was looking at a question, i was like what was that, and he said it was a style of question that came up in 95. Now im all for being prepared but if you know your facts and your not an ape you will be able to answer most questions. Theres now need to learn off methods from 95!!!!!

Basically, thats my reason why I hate people saying its not on the curriculum and the syllabus and all that. Their being way too uptight, they got shot in the ass and just cant admit they couldn't do it.

Now thank God I could or my argument would be completely brutal!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

stupid stupid stupid Question! How horrible was that. Our teacher thought they weren't on the curriculum but she got another teacher to find out and you have to know of them. One of the other maths teachers in school took an hour and 10 minutes trying to figure that question out.
    I'm happy though I got a C3 in my paper and considering I missed two months of sixth I think that's pretty good :D (I'm sorry if I sound big headed but I was convinced I would have to drop higher maths)

I think its was all about knowing the method. I puzzled over it for about 15 minutes at first - I was thinking about getting the co-ordinates of point t in terms of g1,2 , h1,2 and c1,2 - how sick would that have been!!! So i skipped it and went back at the end and clicked almost straight away - it was beautiful then solving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

The circles may be orthogonal but nothing about this property was asked. It was mainly Pytagoras Theorem. Not a very hard questionif you copped on straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭orangetictac

Ya i only got 31/50 for this q:mad: thinkin it was going to b some abstract solution, i was wrong.

But still ended up with 93% overall!
    Anyhu, alot of ppl got this question out, finding more trouble with b) lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Doesn't this whole scenario highlights the importance of Pre's???? Imagine if this question came up on the real thing. At least now everyone will be prepared for a question they never even thought could come up!

on the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

johnk123 wrote: »
    Doesn't this whole scenario highlights the importance of Pre's???? Imagine if this question came up on the real thing. At least now everyone will be prepared for a question they never even thought could come up!

Surely everyone should always assume that things they never saw before will come up? Isn't that what (c) parts are meant to be like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Hmmm...... i would seem to think so!

Ya, 4 show! 4 show 4 show! (meaning for sure)
    They need 2 have some balance though. The trig and q8 q's we got were really easy thank god

I feel bad for the friend Turgon is talking about.:(
    Why dis him like that. Turgon is clearly uberconfident about his maths but
    That question he is talkin about doesnt have an answer you can make up.
    It doesnt have to be learned but just to have the general idea.

Well "orangetictac", you have proved me wrong. If you see this "friend" of mine around (maybe look in the mirror???????) you can apologize on my behalf. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Advertisement